Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Overall I like skinner. He may not be one of the top five in the NHL. But he can be around the top ten in a few categories.

And he doesn't seem like a goalie that you have to treat like a prima donna, worrying that pulling him will cause an issue or rolling with another goalie till he steals the net back will cause issues on the locker room.

He seems to be very team first, and since goalies are all over the place in consistency and even great ones have off years I am fine with him. We just need to answer the proper back up question and it will be better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In my eyes Skinners top end is good enough to win a Stanley Cup and I respect his mental resiliency, but he does have consistency issues, so I won't say we should be entirely above looking for an upgrade.

I think how he failed us in these playoffs was in gifting teams a couple games here or there in earlier series and thus exposing our group to a greater physical toll, ending a couple series 1-2 games earlier could of been a difference maker in how healthy some guys were going into later series.

In the Finals I think he provided everything we could reasonably ask of him at this stage of his career and he provided good performances relative to his $2.6M salary.
I agree with this but if we were to go back to the begining of this season and we were told that the Oilers would go to game 7 of the SCF with Skinner as the starter,...no one would have believed that.
He overachieved IMO.
I also think that this experience will absolutely make him a better goalie.

Reactions: oilers'72 and rec28

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
True. And by and large they were able to outscore shitty goaltending all playoffs. Weren't able to outscore shitty goaltending tonight sadly.

If letting in two goals against a team that averaged over three goals per game the entire year is “shitty” then your bar might be too high.

I’d imagine if we ran the numbers the Oilers win/loss record when Skinner lets in two goals is extremely good. Unfortunately, our offence didn’t show up this time.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Except for the game winning goal that went right through him right?
We have 2 superstars up front.
A nine million dollar third pairing guy.
5 million waiting to be bought out and 2 million on the cap from the James Neal buyout.

We don’t have the luxury of playing a superstar goalie even if one was available.

Yes the winner was classic skinner goal .

But since the third or fourth stars game skinner played as good or better than you could ever expect from a guy who makes 2.6 per.

I’d love to see an upgrade in nets but the money is better spent elsewhere

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, that second goal wasn't great. Team still had about half a game to score one goal and they couldn't do it. The Oilers scored 7 goals in 4 games in Florida and 5 of those came in one game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Our team is supposed to be built to outscore that “backbreaker”
This seems not to understand that throughout the history of hockey its a sport where goalies alone can win, can steal games, and in playoffs often do. The goalie spot is the biggest trump in hockey, it trumps all else, or at least it does when a team has elite goalies.

In the 4 W's in series that Panthers had Bobo was a collective .956 save %.

In a one game sawoff for all the marbles we start from behind even having average goalie like Skinner instead of a guy that can steal games like Bobo.

Reactions: TB12 and Jakey53

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This seems not to understand that throughout the history of hockey its a sport where goalies alone can win, can steal games, and in playoffs often do. The goalie spot is the biggest trump in hockey, it trumps all else, or at least it does when a team has elite goalies.

In the 4 W's in series that Panthers had Bobo was a collective .956 save %.

In a one game sawoff for all the marbles we start from behind even having average goalie like Skinner instead of a guy that can steal games like Bobo.
In the 4 Ls this series the Oilers scored 5 goals. Their stars went completely silent in key moments. Their PP sucked.

Say it's 1-1 last night. Then what? We still scored 1 goal. They looked nervous for most of the game with plenty of own zone turnovers and lifeless offensive play. They only started to turn it up in the third when they were losing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah, that second goal wasn't great. Team still had about half a game to score one goal and they couldn't do it. The Oilers scored 7 goals in 4 games in Florida and 5 of those came in one game.
Gee imagine it being hard to score in Florida in Slush cup ice against a team that is a top defensive club and has a guy in net capable of stoning. Every other team had trouble with Florida too.

Florida put one solid game together and got some bounces and great goaltending. Very few goals get scored in SC final game 7's. Do people even realize that?

People should at least know history and not treat yesterday as some kind of one off. Scoring is RARE in game 7 SC finals, it always is.

Startling as it is the losing team in a game 7 in the last 10 of these SC finals that went 7 games scored less than one goal. The plurality in these is one team getting shutout or only getting one goal.

Even the vaunted Oilers in 87 had a ton of trouble scoring in game 7 and were down 1-0. They took most of game to establish a 2-1 lead and got a great late goal to seal it.

Typically SC game 7's are won on goaltending. That is the history of them.

In the 4 Ls this series the Oilers scored 5 goals. Their stars went completely silent in key moments. Their PP sucked.

Say it's 1-1 last night. Then what? We still scored 1 goal. They looked nervous for most of the game with plenty of own zone turnovers and lifeless offensive play. They only started to turn it up in the third when they were losing.
This is pure fiction. The Oilers had the edge in play, in shots, in HDSC and in Ozone possession. You can make whatever you like I guess.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gee imagine it being hard to score in Florida in Slush cup ice against a team that is a top defensive club and has a guy in net capable of stoning. Every other team had trouble with Florida too.

Florida put one solid game together and got some bounces and great goaltending. Very few goals get scored in SC final game 7's. Do people even realize that?

People should at least know history and not treat yesterday as some kind of one off. Scoring is RARE in game 7 SC finals, it always is.

Startling as it is the losing team in a game 7 in the last 10 of these SC finals that went 7 games scored less than one goal. The plurality in these is one team getting shutout or only getting one goal.

Even the vaunted Oilers in 87 had a ton of trouble scoring in game 7 and were down 1-0. They took most of game to establish a 2-1 lead and got a great late goal to seal it.

All I hear are excuses. They found a way in game 5 to score despite the shit ice. 2 goals combined in 3 of the 4 losses isn't going to get it done, period.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024

This is pure fiction. The Oilers had the edge in play, in shots, in HDSC and in Ozone possession. You can make whatever you like I guess.
The bolded makes me wonder why we didn't start the first half of the period with McDrai. The ice was near unplayable halfway through when he went to them. The entire intermission I was hoping he'd go to them right away to give them a few shifts with clean ice to get a look. Was disappointed when they're finally trotted out there together and the puck is barely moving, McDavid is falling trying to turn, etc. A disaster.

As for Skinner, weak goal on Reinhart but it feels foolish to pin the loss on him. We know what we have from him and he's already playing well above his station. I'd consider myself one of his biggest critics through the playoffs but he undoubtedly stepped it up for these finals and in my opinion reached the very best level he could possibly play it.

There is nothing left for Stuart Skinner to give, and his failure past that is an organizational one for having him in the game instead of a Bobrovsky, Hasek, Roy type.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers weren't ready from puck drop and when Florida scored first it became that much harder. Too many times I've seen this team give it the old college try when they were losing late.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The bolded makes me wonder why we didn't start the first half of the period with McDrai. The ice was near unplayable halfway through when he went to them. The entire intermission I was hoping he'd go to them right away to give them a few shifts with clean ice to get a look. Was disappointed when they're finally trotted out there together and the puck is barely moving, McDavid is falling trying to turn, etc. A disaster.

As for Skinner, weak goal on Reinhart but it feels foolish to pin the loss on him. We know what we have from him and he's already playing well above his station. I'd consider myself one of his biggest critics through the playoffs but he undoubtedly stepped it up for these finals and in my opinion reached the very best level he could possibly play it.

There is nothing left for Stuart Skinner to give, and his failure past that is an organizational one for having him in the game instead of a Bobrovsky, Hasek, Roy type.
Sure. Reasonable post. Except when much of the board go on to blame McDrai, and thats just whats been happening, for the failures of the org to EVER have given two generational superstars an even close to elite goalie. Hell we haven't had any better than average. Talbot was the best but not there either.

Like I said its unfortunate the goaltending that McDrai have been saddled with their whole tenure here. Other superstars get better goaltending, and they get a cup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
All I hear are excuses. They found a way in game 5 to score despite the shit ice. 2 goals combined in 3 of the 4 losses isn't going to get it done, period.
So don't even read the post. Game 7' finals are different. Much different. They are tight scoring as a rule. Few goals scored as a rule. It wasn't just the Oilers having trouble scoring last night historically one team in that game 7 scores less than one goal on average.

But feel free to overtly blame the Oilers players or stars for what is largely situational dynamic. Goalies typically Win SC final game 7's. To win one, ever, you need startling goaltending as a rule, and every time these have occurred.

Reactions: TB12

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Sure. Reasonable post. Except when much of the board go on to blame McDrai, and thats just whats been happening, for the failures of the org to EVER have given two generational superstars an even close to elite goalie. Hell we haven't had any better than average. Talbot was the best but not there either.

Like I said its unfortunate the goaltending that McDrai have been saddled with their whole tenure here. Other superstars get better goaltending, and they get a cup.
Most of the board are incapable of multifaceted discussion.

Despite McDrai's overall wonderful playoff runs, fact of the matter is that while Skinner let in that weak goal in game 7, neither of them produced. It was a team failure from top to bottom. The two best forwards, injured or not, failed to do anything of note in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Our defencemen let us down as expected, our goalie let us down as expected, and our star forwards surprisingly also let us down.

Part of me is delusionally hopeful enough that this is McDavid's 'walk past the Islanders dressing room' moment, however Gretzky was what, 20 at the time that happened? McDavid is almost 30 now and this very well may be the closest he ever comes. We must come to terms with that. A historic playoff run for him couldn't put them over the top. He had to play better in game 7, and that will haunt him until he wins one.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Skinner is 92%+ in his last 10 games, you guys didn't lose the cup because of him. He's also 25, so 2-3 years from his peak. You just need better defensemen.

• Haha

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So don't even read the post. Game 7' finals are different. Much different. They are tight scoring as a rule. Few goals scored as a rule. It wasn't just the Oilers having trouble scoring last night historically one team in that game 7 scores less than one goal on average.

But feel free to overtly blame the Oilers players or stars for what is largely situational dynamic. Goalies typically Win SC final game 7's. To win one, ever, you need startling goaltending as a rule, and every time these have occurred.
I blame the team for not getting it done rather than any individual player. They had 60 minutes to produce more than one goal and they didn't.

Reactions: oilers'72 and rec28

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Most of the board are incapable of multifaceted discussion.

Despite McDrai's overall wonderful playoff runs, fact of the matter is that while Skinner let in that weak goal in game 7, neither of them produced. It was a team failure from top to bottom. The two best forwards, injured or not, failed to do anything of note in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Our defencemen let us down as expected, our goalie let us down as expected, and our star forwards surprisingly also let us down.

Part of me is delusionally hopeful enough that this is McDavid's 'walk past the Islanders dressing room' moment, however Gretzky was what, 20 at the time that happened? McDavid is almost 30 now and this very well may be the closest he ever comes. We must come to terms with that. A historic playoff run for him couldn't put them over the top. He had to play better in game 7, and that will haunt him until he wins one.
Gretz had Grant Fuhr in net and a star studded cast all around him and a personal protection body guard in Dave Semenko to beat the crap out of anybody that even looked at him wrong. Connor and Leon have to eat 10X the punishment today that Gretz did.

A little story here too that the vaunted Oilers team was beat in 82 by unheralded underdogs. They were whipped and let in a crazy amount of goals not even being bothered to defend. In 83 the Oilers could barely score in final. In 84 the best team on Earth almost went down to the Flames in an earlier series and then even in SC final in 84 they started out meager. People forget this but the Oilers in game 1 of that series needed a goal from Kevin McLelland to steal game 1 by a score of 1-0. They then got blown out in game 2, whipped, by a score of 6-1. The Oilers didn't find their mojo until at home and the format then was 2-3-2 so the Oilers won 3 games in a row to take the series.

That series was extremely like this series except that team had elite goaltending.

I blame the team for not getting it done rather than any individual player. They had 60 minutes to produce more than one goal and they didn't.
I blame the weakest link instead of the whole team. I sleep better at night. ;) lol, I didn't sleep well at all.

Oilers are strong at every position except goaltending. We should be better in that pivotal spot in hockey. Thats not knocking Skinner specifically just like I've said that the org should have at least one time given McDrai an elite starter.

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
I'm as hard on Skinner as anyone but how anyone can blame that loss on him is beyond me.

I haven't looked at the advanced stats but if I was going to be mad at anyone it would be Nurse... it felt like a free-for-all shooting gallery for Florida whenever he was on the ice. Tough to come back when the ice is so badly tilted against you in those shifts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don’t understand how anyone watching the game last night thinks Skinner was the reason why we lost.

And people thinking bob was much better this series? Did you people not watch the last 3 games?
Florida played two very bad games. Games they didn't even give themselves a chance to win. The Oilers were solid in all but one of the games defensively speaking.

Bobo let in a lot of goals in two of those games because the team in front of him played like shit and said so.

Skinner saw zero brutal performances by the club in front of him in this series.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Overall I like skinner. He may not be one of the top five in the NHL. But he can be around the top ten in a few categories.

And he doesn't seem like a goalie that you have to treat like a prima donna, worrying that pulling him will cause an issue or rolling with another goalie till he steals the net back will cause issues on the locker room.

He seems to be very team first, and since goalies are all over the place in consistency and even great ones have off years I am fine with him. We just need to answer the proper back up question and it will be better.
Well said. He definitely did his part last night. Can’t win a game 7 scoring 1 goal unfortunately

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well said. He definitely did his part last night. Can’t win a game 7 scoring 1 goal unfortunately

Doing his part would have seen this game 1-1 into OT. Would they have won? Who knows.

The team as a whole didn’t have it last night. But that doesn’t excuse a bad goal against in a game where Florida generated basically nothing the entire game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad