3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm assuming something is being built and this is a makeshift set for now. There's no way that it

by what metric?
Probably CF/60 and xGF/60. Outside of the Buffalo, Columbus, and Edmonton games I don’t think they have generated over 2 expected goals in those other 7 games.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'm assuming something is being built and this is a makeshift set for now. There's no way that it

It's just dumb still. They're doing this after the season has begun. It looks bad literally (the makeshift setup) and optically (the pull-back on the nice new studio). And whatever they might build will need to be less expensive at the end compared with the labor cost of keeping crew members around.

I can't wait until they ask Hank to go behind the camera. "Hey Hank, you said you're always up for trying new things. How would you like to work a television camera?"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

by what metric?

xGF/60 5v5 I'd guess.

They don't score 5v5. We knew this already. I'm perfectly fine playing the "hey, we're basically going to play to a tie at ES and make this a battle of the goalies and special teams" thing for the time being. If they're going to improve offensively, thats going to have to come from whats already here.

It was far from entertaining, but I was completely satisfied with yesterday's game (even more so considering that we did it short our #1 D and a top 6 center.) All things equal I'd probably lean even harder in that direction come spring if things don't improve 5v5.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
lol why do these people always try to save money on the dumbest shit
I hate to say it but it's par for the course in TV

Penny wise... pound foolish.

It makes ZERO sense.

Pay XYZ for brand new studio, but only show it half the time to save what? like 2k-3k per night on crew rates?

Boggles the mind.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
by what metric?
xGF/60, High dangers/60, chances/60, corsi for/60, etc. This ain’t pretty fellas. If this is what they’re like with Chytil/Fox then this next stretch sure is gonna be something. Might as well just bring rocks and throw them at the other team

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
We didn't really get a look at the Staal one on Trochek, because it thankfully didn't connect. But this is blatant to me. Aho is charged guilty by association.

• Wow
Reactions: egelband

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
xGF/60, High dangers/60, chances/60, corsi for/60, etc. This ain’t pretty fellas. If this is what they’re like with Chytil/Fox then this next stretch sure is gonna be something. Might as well just bring rocks and throw them at the other team
Like the Gulag?

We didn't really get a look at the Staal one on Trochek, because it thankfully didn't connect. But this is blatant to me. Aho is charged guilty by association.

That one was just crazy egregious. I thought I didn't see it right at first it was so bad.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Again did you watch the game?

No one really did anything 5v5 for either team. That’s how it played out and they were able to score the only goal at ES down their best D and a top 6 forward.

It’s not just last game though.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i mean every fanbase has their share of scumbag fans, you see it around the league pretty much every time someone gets injured by their team, so not fair to paint their fanbase as a whole in any specific light. the fact that they're a southern team and in large part newer to the sport/have a higher % of fans that never played the sport at any even decent level. so given that, not really a surprise to see some takes that demonstrate a lack of any fundamental understanding of the game, nevermind the nuances of body positioning.

honestly don't have any issue with the play aho made, i don't think there's any intent to get him with his leg. he was trying to catch a piece of fox and fox trying to slip around him led to it being knee on knee instead of catching a piece of his shoulder. interference? sure. a major or sussy? no way.

that said, the way aho handled it after was pathetic. at the end of the day, his attempt to interfere with the rangers best player resulted in his being injured. believe it or not, the rangers weren't happy about it. own it, sack up, and answer the bell. him dodging that the rest of the game said all you need to know about him. he's a shrinking violet, he wants no part of getting his hands dirty and standing toe to toe with someone. the only thing noticeable about him the rest of the game was him running away from rangers asking him to go. he was out on the perimeter staying as far from contact as possible. the next game will probably be a lot worse for him. had he dropped the gloves it woulda been water under the bridge. now it's gonna follow him and the rangers are in his kitchen bigtime.

honestly that's gotta be a crushing loss for the entire canes team mentally. the rangers are forced to play most of the game 2 men down, including their best player, first game back off a 5 game west coast trip and the rangers are the team that gut out the 3rd period goal and outwork the canes to close it? with the canes best player running away from answering the bell most of the night? that's a team without a backbone.
Agree on all the points. Blanket judgment of a fan base is dumb. All fan bases are basically the same. Got die hards and casuals and aggros and bandwagon jumpers etc…some more some less but basically every fan base has all kinds. Hf canes was particularly ugly yday though. That’s fair to say. Also agree the attempt by aho was to interfere a bit - nothing criminal - and it went bad. Also agree his response was clown shoes. Great win for the boys. Hoping they can handle the next few weeks as well as they’ve handled the many challenges they’ve already faced this season.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Agree on all the points. Blanket judgment of a fan base is dumb. All fan bases are basically the same. Got die hards and casuals and aggros and bandwagon jumpers etc…some more some less but basically every fan base has all kinds. Hf canes was particularly ugly yday though. That’s fair to say. Also agree the attempt by aho was to interfere a bit - nothing criminal - and it went bad. Also agree his response was clown shoes. Great win for the boys. Hoping they can handle the next few weeks as well as they’ve handled the many challenges they’ve already faced this season.
I live in Raleigh and there are good fans down here. Good hockey too. I ain't what I used to be but the leagues are competitive and they know their team and the players on the team and the ones coming up through the system. But they hate the Rangers. We are in their kitchen making their eggs.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Same. I was 8 & understood nothing, but I do recall watching them win Game 1 in Montreal.

Of course it was hell growing up in Queens while the Isles went to the Finals the next 5 years. I still remember all those Drive for Five bumper stickers. Nobody in Edmonton rooted harder for the Oilers than I did in '84.
I started watching NYR when I was about 6, around 1968. Hahaha. They’d show away games on ch9, I believe. Home games were cable only, I think, and there was no cable on SI yet. Not till the 80’s if I remember correctly.

idno how chytil manages to get injured every 5 minutes...the guy avoids contact like the plague. maybe there's a lesson in there about being more likely to get injured when you play scared, but he hasn't learned it yet.

the fox injury sucks BIGTIME. would be disastrous if it's anything beyond 4-6 weeks.

that said, i think gus or jones can step in competently on the pp with a little time to practice there if needed. tonight was a tough spot for gus given how much chemistry has been developed btw fox/mika/panarin up top and how reliant they are on knowing where each other will always be. almost felt bad for gus trying to figure it out on the fly and fit in, but he's capable filling in short term. honestly would rather see jones get a look, he's phenomenal walking the line up top and could see him doing well there, which would be great for his confidence. plus his skating could actually add some juice to zone entries and movement in the zone.

i don't think aho meant to injure fox at all, but he's still a little btch boy dodging having to answer for it. i mean no one ever wants to injure someone. told me a lot about what he's made of seeing that.

needless to say, this was a huge win for this team gutting it out 2 men down against a very good team, especially considering one of those is our best player. this is the kind of win that goes a long way in spring time, and the kind of win that says a lot about what this team has in the locker room. at the end of the day it's 1 of 82 and 2 points, but this made a huge statement about the kind of team this is. incredibly impressive effort.
I didn’t get to see the whole game. Who challenged Aho? Trouba?

Reactions: egelband

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I started watching NYR when I was about 6, around 1968. Hahaha. They’d show away games on ch9, I believe. Home games were cable only, I think, and there was no cable on SI yet. Not till the 80’s if I remember correctly.

I saw Laff did. I don't know of anyone else.

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Oh give me a break. What's their record? They are focusing on the defense and winning. I would rather win 2-1 than lose 6-5.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

laf several times. i believe kandre offered at least once. i didn't see trouba outright challenge him though he hammered him with a couple crosschecks behind the play late. considering he was scared to throw with laf and ran away multiple times i doubt trouba bothered asking. was at the game though so while i caught some things behind the play and by the benches/chirping during commercial breaks, i probably missed things live that the broadcast highlighted on replays.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I hope the entire Canes team gets affected by a bedbug infestation from their NYC hotel.
Actually it’s possible they’re staying at a motel on queens boulevard or somewhere like that. Owner is a skinflint, right?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That Aho turns into Fox as the puck is 30 feet away and going north along the wall is also completely f***ing weird.
Think Aho anticipated his guy getting the puck. He was taking off hoping for a breakout pass but realized that didn’t happen and he was gonna lose his man, Fox. So he tried tripping/impeding Fox. Not vicious but not even calling interference there because they had already called three penalties on Carolina is f***ing trash.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

WOR was a staple for away games when I began watching hardcore in the early 80s. I honestly don't think cable was available in Manhattan until 71 or so, & I doubt MSGN showed up until the mid 70s at the earliest. I'd be curious to know when home games went completely unavailable to those of us without access to cable.

I do know cable was not available in the outer boroughs until the mid 80s. We were one of the first families in Queens to sign up for BQ Cable in January of 86. People 3 blocks away still couldn't get it for almost 6 months after we did. Many kids in my high school weren't wired until mid '87 or even later. Knowing what I know now, I wish it never showed up. Life was way less complicated with 7 VHF channels & the occasional visit to Channels 55 or 68. Side note, we did have WHT in the late 70s early 80s. Anyone else remember them?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
WOR was a staple for away games when I began watching hardcore in the early 80s. I honestly don't think cable was available in Manhattan until 71 or so, & I doubt MSGN showed up until the mid 70s at the earliest. I'd be curious to know when home games went completely unavailable to those of us without access to cable.

I do know cable was not available in the outer boroughs until the mid 80s. We were one of the first families in Queens to sign up for BQ Cable in January of 86. People 3 blocks away still couldn't get it for almost 6 months after we did. Many kids in my high school weren't wired until mid '87 or even later. Knowing what I know now, I wish it never showed up. Life was way less complicated with 7 VHF channels & the occasional visit to Channels 55 or 68. Side note, we did have WHT in the late 70s early 80s. Anyone else remember them?
I remember WHT for sure. It was like a predecessor to HBO wasn’t it? It was way out of the range of anything my family would have gotten but I definitely remember it. We incidentally didn’t get cable where I lived in Manhattan until quite late. I believe our buildings owner had some sort of feud with Manhattan cable. (Which was the Dolans I believe).

Edit: found this Wometco Home Theater - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad