Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This will sound like a broken record but we really won't know how good this team is or isn't until our PP starts producing.
We've opted to build our team in a way that the top 4-5 guys take up a huge portion of the cap and thus doesn't leave much room for error.
We cannot succeed, being built the way we are without our powerplay being a real force.
We could be 2-4 pts points better on the season if our powerplay had been executing the way you'd expect.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
They’ve been trying that for years now. Trying to velcro toughness onto a soft core especially at the trade deadline. But you’re not wrong, Matthews played braver when he had Domi and Bertuzzi on his wings.
For me, he showed me a different side of his game with those two. It was the best all around game I had seen from him and I was disappointed to see him back with 16 to start this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me, he showed me a different side of his game with those two. It was the best all around game I had seen from him and I was disappointed to see him back with 16 to start this year.

It's also disappointing to me that Matthews can't consistently bring that edgier game that brought him so much success and gave him a fresh look. He's got to pay that price to realize his full potential.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
That is all on Matthews.
you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Berube is at fault too for keeping a dead tired Matthews on the ice.

Watch the play again

Keep your eye on Matthews and see how little he is doing because he is dead tired

34 thinks Marner is coming back to support him at the same time Marner rightfully decides to make a change. Not very difficult to understand what happened here. But yep yep and yep on the Berube putting him back out tired. Very obvious

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Marner was finally dancing again. Hopefully the coaches don't think that's something they need to "fix". The goal is to make your stars look better not worse. .

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Can't you see the culture of "meaningless games" is what leads them to ruin in the end? If the other team can win the equally meaningless game by accessing a greater level of detail, effort, execution, guess what happens when it really matters?

There are games that have no impact on standings, but if a team can't find the motivation to find meaning in what they do they are in trouble.

I dont think the Leafs are unique in playing down to an opponent, Las Vegas does it, Colorado does it, Boston does it, they all do it. What I find problematic is the inability of the Leafs to play their B game, an ugly, clog the neutral zone slow the game down, grind the game down to a point of boring. The good teams, when they dont have their A game, are patient, they can be patient and grind the game down so much the other team gets inpatient and makes mistakes. This is the Leafs ultimate flaw over the last 8 years is Leaf impatience and trying forcing the game to the point where they make more mistakes than their opponent and end up losing as a result of stupid impatient approach. In the NHL it comes down to mistakes, the team that makes more mistakes tends to lose the game more often, the team that tends to make more mistakes is generally the team that is more impatient. Coaches hate flashy and cute, they want safe and boring. Berube has mentioned a few times he though his team was being too cute, too indirect. The Leafs are the young Bull, they have yet to learn to walk down that hill.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It’s time to put them back together, Knies- Matthews-Domi would be good.

Matthews and Marner aren’t producing at even their regular output together. Maybe we get more out of both of them by splitting them up.

Reactions: myleafs and Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Matthews and Marner aren’t producing at even their regular output together. Maybe we get more out of both of them by splitting them up.

I'd like to see Domi with Matty, the Domi Nylander McMann line have absolutely zero chemistry. I'd like to see Mitch with Robertson, with a defensively responsible physical center (not sure there is a guy that fits this description on the roster). Matty should drive a line, Willie willie should drive a line and Mitch should drive a line.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Mathews leads the league in shots, I’d think getting him the puck isn’t the problem.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If you actually read posts and watch the replay you’ll see 34 is the main problem but having 2 guys past center ice is also a problem. Nobody is letting Matthews off the hook he made a piss poor decision that was the direct cause of the goal but Rielly and Marner not even being in the picture is part of the overall issue.
No issue if he bothered to take a look instead of the "olde lazy play"

That kind of play is most likely the reason I didnt get a look in JrA:nod:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Everytime they focus on Savard he looks lost to me. Quickly working away on the iPad. Dude you don’t need to replay every PP they all have the same mistakes.

Maybe it’s your concussions from the past but October/24 looks the exact as Feb/Mar/ April 24.
Just so we're clear, Savard handles the PP, not the PK

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Bang on. No fight in the Dog who wears the C and is the highest paid player in the league. I’ve been watching the Leafs for 60 years and I’ve actually never seen a more timid on ice demeanor. He’s got a lot of things going for him but lacking the courage to stand up for himself or his teammates has a big effect on the rest of the team. And the same can be said for Marner and Nylander. Star players still need some snarl. Look at players like Pasternak, Kutcherov, Point, MacKinnon, Mcdavid, Crosby and Draisaitl. They all get their noses dirty, respond to challenges and back up their teammates. Shanahan was delusional thinking that wasn’t still an important part of the game.
If only he had Sittlers bite.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Chief’s post game interview seems he’s accepting that these guys aren’t able to execute his game plan and he’s just going to collect his cheque and let them run the team the way they see fit. Reminds me of the old gypsy curse: “may you get everything you wish for……..”
I believe he didn't want to to kick them when they were down, after back to back thrashing and then a ball-breaker. Maybe they can break the Jets tonight and get things on the right track again.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nylander had 32 Hits in 82 games last season

Marner had 58 Hits in 69 games last season

Whoop-dee-doo. Mitch still didn’t play with any real cajones, especially in the playoffs. Laying more hits than Nylander doesn’t disprove that.

Show me Mitch reacting like this and then you’ll have a case that he ever played brave. Again, Willy only reacts like this because he knows he has two junkyard dogs on his line. Matthews did the same.

• Love
Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I believe he didn't want to to kick them when they were down, after back to back thrashing and then a ball-breaker. Maybe they can break the Jets tonight and get things on the right track again.
Being honest is better than soothing them in my opinion, if not they’ll think he’s okay with sub par efforts…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad