Post-Game Talk: Stolarz & Marner Steal a Point - Leafs lose 4-3

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Ok so not bad break, but you get what I mean. He thought the player was going to be there, and in that moment the other player decided to turn to the bench. This wasn’t some Hail Mary prayer pass like some are making it seem. It was an unfortunate sequence.
My point was he should have known Marner didn't have a stick, therefore that play was never there. He needs to be aware. Tired brain? Then make the safe play and ice the f***in puck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There could have been a miscommunication on the ice at that moment we don't know. That type of play isn't very characteristic I would say. If not then it's a mistake yes. And he did just tie the game and overall had a good game no?

Frankly, no I don’t think he was especially good. For a rivalry game, coming off last years playoff elimination and a rough week you’d expect the highest paid player in the game to dominate.

Sure he set up the Knies goal on a little drive play but it was pretty tepid stuff for 55 minutes or whatever before that tying goal. Came to life in OT and had the blood back in the legs, controlled things. Otherwise, it’s just not enough.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Maybe our Leafs should keep Marner and trade Matthews !!!

Our Leafs should be able to acquire quite the haul for him !!!

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He was decent. Couple good moments, but overall he was very blah I would say. That mistake, and it was a mistake, a bonehead one at that, needlessly gave the game away.
What do we do now then. Trade him? He's a pretty good player, even with tonight's mistake. I think the reason we lost isn't Matthews OT mistake, it was a number of other things before I blame that personally.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This team will miss the playoffs by a point. Marner walks for free, no draft picks. Just a truly pathetic organization. Run it again.. kindergarten.

Reactions: Al14

Mr_Fun

FFS!
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Even if MM wasn't going off the ice, I'm not sure he would get to that puck even close to first. It was a bad decision coupled with bad execution. But like I said -- whatever. It's just the gimmick portion of the night.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
What do we do now then. Trade him? He's a pretty good player, even with tonight's mistake. I think the reason we lost isn't Matthews OT mistake, it was a number of other things before I blame that personally.
Agree. The PP, the lack of offence, shoddy defence and 2 egregious mistakes led to the loss. But that play gave the win to the B's.

Why would you trade him? Because he was blah in 1 game and has had a slow start to the season? Weird take bro.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Marner has nothing to do with this.
I’ve said this before. Marner makes decisions when it comes to changing and it gets him in trouble. That situation he needs to commit to changing or go support Matthews. Instead he puts in no effort to change to get a guy out there. Matthews is the reason for the turnover and goal against but better decisions need to be made by 16 and 34 there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That's a clear lack of focus on a play that is made in men's league a thousand times a night. Zero excuse, He was under no pressure and had tons of time.

Actually he was under pressure from Marchand .. he didn't have that much time as he was at the end of a 1 minute shift and was clearly gassed.

He should have passed it back to Stolie and had him cover the puck. That's the safe play there.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Terrible 3rd period except the last 2-3 minutes.

On the OT goal, looked to me like it was bad luck because Marner had a broken stick and went to the bench to get a new one. Matthews expected Marner to keep skating towards him. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: BallardEra

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
[
I’ve said this before. Marner makes decisions when it comes to changing and it gets him in trouble. That situation he needs to commit to changing or go support Matthews. Instead he puts in no effort to change to get a guy out there. Matthews is the reason for the turnover and goal against but better decisions need to be made by 16 and 34 there.

Marner’s stick was broken, that’s why he went to the bench. What use would he have been without a stick?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Clearly it would be a disaster if they end up in 20th place overall or whatever, but we all know that isn't going to happen. People just like to moan for the sake of moaning.
Well, they do look terrible. That is three games in a row where they had no business getting a point, let alone win. PP is completely dysfunctional. Nylander is a complete no show. The depth players are not really doing much, their d zone coverage is questionable at best. They have some work to put in to get things turned around. So I don't think they moaning is for nothing in the moment.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You don't throw the puck away because you thought someone was going to be there, it's your responsibility to know where your teammates are before passing them the puck. I bet you though Galchenyuk's giveaway in the playoffs against Montreal was a bad break too right?
Dude these are split second decisions they are making out there, he thought he was making a pass to a player that would be there, a player he plays with all the time. Some are saying he just intentionally threw it away. It was a mistake no doubt, but this isn’t the stuff you berate… you berate the two weak ass plays our 2nd line gave up.
My point was he should have known Marner didn't have a stick, therefore that play was never there. He needs to be aware. Tired brain? Then make the safe play and ice the f***in puck.
Not saying it wasn’t a mistake, but there is a bit of bad luck there. These guys are are making split second plays out there. He sees his man going to where he expects him to be, he didn’t see him at the bench.

All I’m saying is that this is one of those tough mistakes. He’ll own it, but this shouldn’t be the focus of the game. Our top line and Stolarz carried us today.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That’s 100% on Matthews. I’m not a going to bat for Marner but if Matthews has control of the puck you’d think as a linemate you can change or grab your stick or whatever. A no look pass like that with pressure isn’t an acceptable play even if Marner was remotely available to receive it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad