Confirmed Trade: [STL/OTT] Mathieu Joseph and 2025 3rd round pick for future considerations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Extremely dumb.

Should have just kept him, the draft pick (whatever round it is) and not signed Perron.
The Sens made a commitment back when the regime changed, they were bringing in a few “pros pros” to teach and lead these younger players. Natural leadership types. They’ve made a couple really good choices with Jensen and Perron. They’re gonna be much better with David Perron over having Joseph.

This is where no analytics chaser and stat watcher can ever find the answer. Fact is, the Ottawa Senators are a better hockey team today, then they were 48 hours ago, but the stat watchers (who no longer watch the actual game) break their necks trying to find a stat that tells themselves that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And people kept telling me was a good "trade target". :laugh:

A very unremarkable, inconsistent year-to-year, bottom-6 filler winger with multiple years of term remaining on a contract that is pretty expensive for what he offers. That was always going to be a cap dump.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Extremely dumb.

Should have just kept him, the draft pick (whatever round it is) and not signed Perron.
100% I am so furious at Staios RN. 🤬

The Sens made a commitment back when the regime changed, they were bringing in a few “pros pros” to teach and lead these younger players. Natural leadership types. They’ve made a couple really good choices with Jensen and Perron. They’re gonna be much better with David Perron over having Joseph.

This is where no analytics chaser and stat watcher can ever find the answer. Fact is, the Ottawa Senators are a better hockey team today, then they were 48 hours ago, but the stat watchers (who no longer watch the actual game) break their necks trying to find a stat that tells themselves that.
Eye test says Perron is an overpaid old rat that will take st*pid penalties and never drop his gloves!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Blues get a good 3rd liner on a fair contract plus an extra 3rd.

Extremely good deal for the Blues
How was this the best offer Ottawa had. Other teams are sleeping.

A very unremarkable, inconsistent year-to-year, bottom-6 filler winger with multiple years of term remaining on a contract that is pretty expensive for what he offers. That was always going to be a cap dump.
Nothing about his play and production says this. At all actually. But you feel smart. So unless you know why he was healthy scratched a few times please enlighten us.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What's the status on Norris? I thought his health is a real question mark.

Apparently not if they're paying to teams to get rid of decent players.
It is and it just proves there's way more to this than just on ice play. Jacques Martin came in was boots on the ground and was eyes and ears for management. There is a culture change they are going for and clearly they felt Joseph and Chychrun didn't fit. There's nothing about Joseph's on ice play that suggests he is a cap dump. Great pk player very fast, can play both wings up and down the lineup.

I think a team with a strong culture already should have been all over this to get an asset with it when he was almost. 5 pts all even strength and pk. That's a good player in this league.

Reactions: SENStastic

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Nothing about his play and production says this. At all actually. But you feel smart. So unless you know why he was healthy scratched a few times please enlighten us.

Some people were just blinded by him having a little bit of a bounce back year in his production. But that's literally all he has to offer...and at the rate he scores, it's just not enough for what he costs on the cap.

He's got decent speed. But he's not a Top-6 caliber scorer, or even close. He's mediocre at best defensively, so he's not going to be a go-to guy on a matchup/checking line. He doesn't have any consistent physicality or real grit to his game, so he's not going to bring any heft or tone-setting ability to a line. He just brings nothing to the table other than skating pretty fast when he's engaged, and somewhat okayish production. But you can get that player or better for half his price every year...and without the risk of term attached.

That's always what his production and play suggested this past season. And the season before that...it would've cost even more than this to dump him because he was absolutely useless dead weight, rather than just expensive "filler".

Reactions: Bleach Clean

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Some people were just blinded by him having a little bit of a bounce back year in his production. But that's literally all he has to offer...and at the rate he scores, it's just not enough for what he costs on the cap.

He's got decent speed. But he's not a Top-6 caliber scorer, or even close. He's mediocre at best defensively, so he's not going to be a go-to guy on a matchup/checking line. He doesn't have any consistent physicality or real grit to his game, so he's not going to bring any heft or tone-setting ability to a line. He just brings nothing to the table other than skating pretty fast when he's engaged, and somewhat okayish production. But you can get that player or better for half his price every year...and without the risk of term attached.

That's always what his production and play suggested this past season. And the season before that...it would've cost even more than this to dump him because he was absolutely useless dead weight, rather than just expensive "filler".
You obviously don't watch the player if you think all he had to offer was production. Why don't leaf fans watch other teams play?

He makes 2.9 million the caps 88 million. That's a middle 6 forward who Is a good pker. Are you incapable of math?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You obviously don't watch the player if you think all he had to offer was production. Why don't leaf fans watch other teams play?

He's not a Leaf fan.

Personally, I don't think Joseph's skillset is a dime-a-dozen because he was valuable to the team last year in terms of putting pressure on the opposition and generating turnovers, and he was one of the few that could do it shift in and shift out.

He reminds me a bit of Connor Brown who everyone maligned until he had some big moments in the playoffs. His speed is beyond "decent" and into the top quarter of the league.

I'm surprised we traded him when Pinto ended up being affordable and I do think he leaves a hole in the line-up in terms of what he brings to the table.

It's entirely possible that he's being traded for other reasons (shaking up the locker room, etc.) aside from his on-ice contributions.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Bert You as a Sens should know that Joseph had a great deal of talent but after the first 20 games last year it rarely showed. He was very inconsistent and a passenger many nights.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's not a Leaf fan.

Personally, I don't think Joseph's skillset is a dime-a-dozen because he was valuable to the team last year in terms of putting pressure on the opposition and generating turnovers, and he was one of the few that could do it shift in and shift out.

He reminds me a bit of Connor Brown who everyone maligned until he had some big moments in the playoffs. His speed is beyond "decent" and into the top quarter of the league.

I'm surprised we traded him when Pinto ended up being affordable and I do think he leaves a hole in the line-up in terms of what he brings to the table.

It's entirely possible that he's being traded for other reasons (shaking up the locker room, etc.) aside from his on-ice contributions.
My bad just seen him constantly hate on everything sens. Very leaf fan lite. I always find it interesting when posters have an irrational hate on for the sens. They haven't been a threat for a long time. As fans we have been saddled with the worst ownership in the league. Many bad breaks beyond our control then you get guys like @biturbo19 who chastise every player every move. Not every move is bad not every signing is bad. Some are good some arent. I have no issue with being objective about rival teams moves. Like for example i think the leafs have had a great offseason addressing some major holes.

I agree I think there is more to it than his on ice performance.

Yes a player with Joseph's skillset is needed and useful. He stretches the zone, puts pressure on defenders all the time. Especially on the forcheck. The sens don't have anyone like that anymore. The forward group is very slow especially the top 9. Not every player on a line needs or should be a skilled guy. You need puck retrieval you need physical play to make space. Ottawa is missing that badly in the top 9 outside of Tkachuk and Greig. They're gonna be a very easy forward group to play against.

Reactions: NyQuil

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

He makes 2.9 million the caps 88 million. That's a middle 6 forward who Is a good pker. Are you incapable of math?

For one thing...i have no idea why you're assuming i'm a Leafs fan. :laugh: I'm not.

Secondly, just because the cap went up...doesn't mean that teams want to burn that extra money increase on bottom-6 filler. They'd rather spend that money on Top-6 impact players and Bottom-6 role players with an actual "Role" to play. Joseph is neither.

For example...The Sens upgraded by spending ~$1M more on a bonafide Top-6 Forward in Perron. Who also happens to be a great competitor, veteran leader, and brings far more tenacity and functional grit to the mix. That's what the Senators really needed for the role.

Since Joseph's production is largely a mirage. It came playing a ton of de facto Top-6 minutes with guys like Stutzle and Giroux. Joseph dragged down everyone he played meaningfully with, and got more or less completely caved in without guys like Stutzle/Giroux to carry him. So when you look at Joseph's production in a vacuum and call it "decent" that's being more than generous. It's actually pretty poor, considering his quality of linemates and opportunities. Perron barely costs more than Joseph and would absolutely slaughter his production in those type of minutes.

Guys that bring what Joseph does, have regularly gone for $1-2M over the past few years. If they're pushing up closer toward the $3M range like Joseph, it's typically because they have a very well defined role. Guys who are actually a PK ace, score more reliably from bottom-6 minutes, positional versatility, lockdown defensive responsibility, faceoff ace, or bring legitimate physicality and grit, etc. It may only be a $1-2M difference to scoff at...but it also means Joseph costing 30-60% more than comparable, or sometimes even better and more versatile "filler" players. That's a huge factor in cap efficiency.

My bad just seen him constantly hate on everything sens. Very leaf fan lite. I always find it interesting when posters have an irrational hate on for the sens. They haven't been a threat for a long time. As fans we have been saddled with the worst ownership in the league. Many bad breaks beyond our control then you get guys like @biturbo19 who chastise every player every move. Not every move is bad not every signing is bad. Some are good some arent. I have no issue with being objective about rival teams moves. Like for example i think the leafs have had a great offseason addressing some major holes.

I'm also not really sure why you think i have a hate on for the Senators. If anything, they're a team that i actually tend to root for out in the East. I've always had a soft spot for them as the expansion stepchild underdog of Eastern Canada.

I'm also not hating on what the Senators have done at all. I think that doing what it takes to dump dead weight like Mathieu Joseph in order to bring in a massive upgrade like Perron for very little more money is a actually a great move.

Cutting a guy like Brannstrom loose was smart. These are the kind of "fat around the edges" that teams have to trim if they want to get better as a team.

They've made other solid moves like getting what they can in a better fit RHD for Chychrun. The Ullmark move still remains to be seen how it'll work out, but was a great gamble to make at a position they clearly needed to address while also managing to unload most of Korpisalo's contract.

I just hate when they do terrible stuff like...hiring Travis Green as a coach. Because i've seen what that looks like, and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. Especially not a team that i'd like to see actually finally turn that corner to be competitive again.

And for the record, i think the Leafs have thus far, had an absolutely goofy disaster of an offseason overall. :dunno:

I agree I think there is more to it than his on ice performance.

Yes a player with Joseph's skillset is needed and useful. He stretches the zone, puts pressure on defenders all the time. Especially on the forcheck. The sens don't have anyone like that anymore. The forward group is very slow especially the top 9. Not every player on a line needs or should be a skilled guy. You need puck retrieval you need physical play to make space. Ottawa is missing that badly in the top 9 outside of Tkachuk and Greig. They're gonna be a very easy forward group to play against.

As far as this part goes...that's just really not what Joseph is as a player. As you're admitting here...he's not a skilled guy. And i'd agree, not every player on a line needs to be that. In fact, quite the opposite. You need balance and diversified complementary skillsets to make a line really work.

However...Joseph isn't what you're describing there. He's not a fearsome forechecker, ice stretching, physical space maker...he's more of an up and down the ice puck chaser. Closer to a guy like taller Anthony Beauvillier ($1.25M) or less smart polished and versatile Calle Jarnkrok ($2M) than a Teddy Bluegers ($1.8M) or Dakota Joshua ($3.25M). Not adding a lot to a Bottom-6 line and not going to produce in that role. And a squeaky wheel who doesn't have the skill or processing to keep up or add anything to a Top-6 line.

There certainly is more to it than just the play on the ice. Things like his attitude, leadership, effort and consistency obviously aren't there to justify the pricetag either. But it's primarily about the fact that on the ice...he simply is not the player you're portraying here.

He's a mooch in the Top-6. And invisible or a downright liability in the Bottom-6. That's the bottom line, and why i say the people who think he's such a good player are being blinded by his production, which is largely a mirage. It's "decent bottom-6 production" from deployment that included quite a bit of "top-6 usage and linemates".

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Other teams didn't pro scout him at all or enough. This was a gift for St.Louis

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Other teams didn't pro scout him at all or enough. This was a gift for St.Louis

Or alternatively...they did actually pro scout him extensively enough to not overrate what he is as a player, and what that's worth on his current contract.

An 11G - 35Pt "Tweener" winger who isn't consistent, isn't physical, mediocre at best defensively, and garnered most of his production playing three quarters of his ice time as a de facto Top-6 Forward and dragged down the possession numbers of pretty much anyone he played with...is simply not worth nearly $3M with term.

Nothing about the raw stats, the analytics, or...especially the eye test suggests he's anything more than that. Most of what he does is skate fast to places looking "busy".

He's the same player he was last year that Sens fans couldn't try to unload fast enough (and couldn't find a taker for). He just got cushier minutes. :dunno:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Or alternatively...they did actually pro scout him extensively enough to not overrate what he is as a player, and what that's worth on his current contract.

An 11G - 35Pt "Tweener" winger who isn't consistent, isn't physical, mediocre at best defensively, and garnered most of his production playing three quarters of his ice time as a de facto Top-6 Forward and dragged down the possession numbers of pretty much anyone he played with...is simply not worth nearly $3M with term.

Nothing about the raw stats, the analytics, or...especially the eye test suggests he's anything more than that. Most of what he does is skate fast to places looking "busy".

He's the same player he was last year that Sens fans couldn't try to unload fast enough (and couldn't find a taker for). He just got cushier minutes. :dunno:
He's really not more than what you described...but he's lightning fast, a good penalty killer, is actually quite decent on the forecheck and can play up the lineup.

I liked him here, a lot actually. He was injured for some of the time and sucked, but otherwise I quite liked him.

I guess it's just me

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
IF he's overpaid, it'd be like 500K over 2 years at the most. A 3rd to dump that? Seems like bad value.

But if this space was needed to resign Pinto, then it makes sense.

Still, Staois just isn't getting maximum value right now for his assets. It's a concern.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Between this ugly trade and the jakob chychrun giveaway earlier this week, feels like Ottawa belongs in the loser column for the start of the 2024-25 season. Didn’t love their top 10 pick reach either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad