Proposal: Stl nyr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
yes

Bruins, Devils and Wings won't trade what your looking for without an extension. If the speculation is true about Shattenkirk wanting to sign with NYR in free agency then the Blues (and their fans) will have to adjust their expectations on the return, whether that comes from the Rangers, Devils, Wings or Bruins. Otherwise they can wait for the deadline and hope the rental prices are high.

This. usually, where there is smoke theres fire. I highly doubt detroit would pony up anything of significant value for a player who already stated he wants to play on the east coast. (code for NYR) the devils will not give up anything significant without an extension in place to watch him walk across the river like gomez and holik did. Boston may.. but again without an a long term deal agreed upon they will mostly be gun shy about the NYR rumors as well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
even if

even if it's not the rangers, i think shatty is gung ho about headed to july as a UFA to control his destiny. i could be wrong. but i doubt it.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I highly doubt Shattenkirk makes it to FA. Armstrong has stated a team involved in a trade would be able to talk with his agent. Obviously they can't officially agree to an extension while he is Blues property but the team he is traded to would be on Shattenkirk's short list to agreeable teams. One wouldn't think the deal gets done and then Shattenkirk wouldn't agree to an extension with that team.

If he gets traded at the deadline then throw that out the window. Army would then take the best offer on the table from a playoff bound team.

Either way, if Army were to let Shattenkirk walk for nothing he better have another job lined up because I think that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I just don't see Army letting him walk for nothing. At this point if the Blues get a 1st rd pick that's fine with me, I'll take my puck and go home. It's not great but he won't be a Blue after next year so it's better than nothing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Shattenkirk has said there are 4 teams(including WC) that he will sign with. So there isn't a guarentee he'll be a Ranger next year. To secure him, you have to trade for him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That is way to complex of a deal for a player that the Blues could not afford under the cap. For the Blues to take Nash in a straight up swap for Shatty, the Rangers would have to eat the difference in dollars between Nash's salary and Shatty's salary. The Blues don't have any cap room at all this year.

Furthermore, what if Nash DOESN"T rebound. Then the Blues are stuck with a high dollar guy who has absolutely no value as a rental next year. I'd rather see some young players or prospects coming back for Shattenkirk that address the Blues needs better.

fair point
to make doable NY can eat salary dif

Yeah, definitely sign him the day after the expansion draft. That way the contract can be voided by the league and the Rags can get hit with all kinds of tampering penalties for attempting to sign a player ll under contract to another team. Then I can laugh when he ends up signing with the Devils or the Bruins. :laugh:

if I am not mistaken Shatty's deal expires in 2017 DAY AFTER last day his team plays or after cup
draft is after both in late June
contract HAS expired he is UFA
wtf u sayin?:amazed::shakehead

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Shattenkirk has said there are 4 teams(including WC) that he will sign with. So there isn't a guarentee he'll be a Ranger next year. To secure him, you have to trade for him.

that's if we want him NOW which is not a must

we prob get him if we wait and make best offer

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
you know what i mean

he doesn't have to sign the day after could be a week a month etc as long as there is an agreed upon deal in place. doubt he signs with the devils. i bet if you gave hall and henrique a choice they would rather play for NYR. for shatty its gona be who can deliver on pay and how close he can stay to home. Devils islanders i believe will be used as leverage to get his cash and NYR are the front runners with an outside shot of Boston.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
he doesn't have to sign the day after could be a week a month etc as long as there is an agreed upon deal in place. doubt he signs with the devils. i bet if you gave hall and henrique a choice they would rather play for NYR. for shatty its gona be who can deliver on pay and how close he can stay to home. Devils islanders i believe will be used as leverage to get his cash and NYR are the front runners with an outside shot of Boston.

Yeah I knew what you meant I was responding to Bernmeister who said that contracts expire when you're eliminated from the Playoffs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
that's if we want him NOW which is not a must

we prob get him if we wait and make best offer

Let's say.....we trade him to another team and he extends with said team.

Well ****...there went your plan. Kinda like Yandle was all but certain to be a Bruin till Florida threw a wrench in that plan.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
If the Rangers traded for Shattenkirk now they would have to protect more that 3 defenseman in expansion and they have a lot of forwards that need protection so why wouldn't they just wait and see if he becomes a UFA

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Has to be an extension or else additional conditional picks.

Yes, we definitely should give you conditional picks in addition to the 1st, Shatt deuces, and Lehtera. For Nash and Miller. Like, I get that Rangers fans want Shattenkirk for pennies or are 1000% certain they'll sign him in FA. But whhhhhhyyyyyy would we give up a 1st plus Shattenkirk even before conditional picks? That's insane, considering our recent lack of 1sts. Respectfully, that's just a bad offer.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the Ranger's brass are half as loopy as Ranger fans, I'd tell them to go pound sand. When they decide they're ready to compete and want to get serious about un-screwing their defense, they can try to pry him out of Detroit, or New Jersey, or Boston, or whichever other team the Blues wind up sending him to.

Of course, since the Blues are allowing his agent to speak to prosoective bidders about long term deals, good luck pulling that off.

But who knows? You do seem to have a knack for getting players for nothing. Stranger things have happened. But don't imagine you're going to rip off the Blues.

We dont want Nash, unless you're adding significantly, retaining salary and taking salary back.

Kreider or Stepan alone is nowhere near sufficient value. You would be adding a quality pick or prospect. You've made it amply clear, you have no interest in trading either of those players. Assuming your GM agrees, there's really not much else to work with.

There are no other forwards on your roster who would pique our interest, and we're not trading for a defenseman, or for picks or prospects alone.

The Bruins, Devils or Wings easily outbid you.

LOOPY! This is loopy!!
You are not getting Kreider, period.
Stepan, you can add to.
As to other forwards, suit yourself

Bruins, Devils and Wings won't trade what your looking for without an extension. If the speculation is true about Shattenkirk wanting to sign with NYR in free agency then the Blues (and their fans) will have to adjust their expectations on the return, whether that comes from the Rangers, Devils, Wings or Bruins. Otherwise they can wait for the deadline and hope the rental prices are high.
Bingo

Let's say.....we trade him to another team and he extends with said team.

Well ****...there went your plan. Kinda like Yandle was all but certain to be a Bruin till Florida threw a wrench in that plan.

Our expectation was never that high w/Yandle, it was more of a hope.
With Shatty, if we uphold our end and have enough cap space -- and we will get great return for Stepan somewhere else -- so we can meet his price, we do have high optimism that he will give us first dibs

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If all the Blues can expect to get for Shatty is pennies on the dollar, then why trade him? Just use him as a rental and make another cup run and let him walk. We just did that with Backes and Brouwer, why not do it again. In what world does it make sense to make the Blues a worse team just so we can say we traded Shatty and got at least something that doesn't help the team in any way, shape, or form? Doing that is the definition of loopy.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
LOOPY! This is loopy!!
You are not getting Kreider, period.
Stepan, you can add to.
As to other forwards, suit yourself

Bingo

Our expectation was never that high w/Yandle, it was more of a hope.
With Shatty, if we uphold our end and have enough cap space -- and we will get great return for Stepan somewhere else -- so we can meet his price, we do have high optimism that he will give us first dibs
What the hell are you talking about.....

That has nothing to do with the Blues moving Shattenkirk to the Bruins or Devils, and then Shattenkirk extending with them. Hence the Rangers don't get Shattenkirk.

If the Rangers are fine with gambling, then so be it. We can stop with Shattenkirk to NY threads (Blues fans aren't making them anyways). What we do know for fact and not hearsay is that Shattenkirk is open to signing with 4 different teams at the time of the draft, Rangers were one of them. So that leaves 3 other teams that he will extend with. If the Blues trade him to one of those other teams, chances are high that he won't play for NY for quite some time.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If all the Blues can expect to get for Shatty is pennies on the dollar, then why trade him? Just use him as a rental and make another cup run and let him walk. We just did that with Backes and Brouwer, why not do it again. In what world does it make sense to make the Blues a worse team just so we can say we traded Shatty and got at least something that doesn't help the team in any way, shape, or form? Doing that is the definition of loopy.

That is the worst possible scenario. I'm sure were a playoff team, but teams like LA, Nashville, Chicago are going to be better. We lossed depth and size, and Shattenkirk isn't the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.
I'm sorry, but keeping him is just a waste. He is to talented to be stuck on a bottom pair and isn't a massive need for our group. We need to address our issues on offense.

As for this whole Rangers thing, nothing with Rick Nash. I'd much rather have JT Miller. So something with him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That is the worst possible scenario. I'm sure were a playoff team, but teams like LA, Nashville, Chicago are going to be better. We lossed depth and size, and Shattenkirk isn't the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.
I'm sorry, but keeping him is just a waste. He is to talented to be stuck on a bottom pair and isn't a massive need for our group. We need to address our issues on offense.

As for this whole Rangers thing, nothing with Rick Nash. I'd much rather have JT Miller. So something with him.
While I absolutely agree Shattenkirk can't be on the roster post TDL, I think it's more about Armstrong not accepting crap offers then actually making a run. At this point, that rhetoric is fine. If he starts using it come February....there's a problem

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Supposedly the Rangers were one of those 4, which makes signing him a better chance. Competing against 3 other teams is a lot better odds than competing against 30.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
While I absolutely agree Shattenkirk can't be on the roster post TDL, I think it's more about Armstrong not accepting crap offers then actually making a run. At this point, that rhetoric is fine. If he starts using it come February....there's a problem

Well then that's different. Not taking bad offers and refusing to take offers are not the same, but I have a difficult time believing teams wouldn't call on Shattenkirk. He is one of the best PMD/RHD in the league. Armstrong's asking price may be incredibly high, which would appall other GM's, than it wasn't due to a lack of sufficient offers but rather Armstrong being derelict. Even as a rental, Shattenkirk has value. Ladd managed a 1st+very young roster player, Lucic got a 1st+prospect+young roster play, I'd say Shattenkirk has similar value.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Supposedly the Rangers were one of those 4, which makes signing him a better chance. Competing against 3 other teams is a lot better odds than competing against 30.

He's not a UFA, so your scenerio is still premature. Yet again.....no one seems to address the likelihood of Shattenkirk being moved to one of the other 3 teams and him resigning with them.

Well then that's different. Not taking bad offers and refusing to take offers are not the same, but I have a difficult time believing teams wouldn't call on Shattenkirk. He is one of the best PMD/RHD in the league. Armstrong's asking price may be incredibly high, which would appall other GM's, than it wasn't due to a lack of sufficient offers but rather Armstrong being derelict. Even as a rental, Shattenkirk has value. Ladd managed a 1st+very young roster player, Lucic got a 1st+prospect+young roster play, I'd say Shattenkirk has similar value.

I expect that type of return at the TDL. Not at the draft or offseason. Those are best case scenerio trades, and we're not there yet

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Does he speak Russian? He's from Czech Republic and I've never heard anything along the lines of him helping Tarasenko like you are hoping he'd to with Buchnevich

Well he helped Barbashev in his first year, so I think it is safe to say he can handle it.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Except that wasn't 4 out of 30. It was 4 out of however many teams the Blues asked him about. It could have been 4 out of 5 for all we know.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I still think if Shattenkirk goes UFA market he'll open up his destination team(s), so it won't be only those 4 teams where he would go.

Could Shattery really deny getting overpriced contract? He's still human.

I think these Shattenkirk - Rangers threads have came to end their course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad