Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
No, Leddy's role did not diminish. I don't have time to add up and figure his ATOI under both. But it was fairly similar. He only played under 20 minutes in 6 of 29 games under Berube and 5 of 53 under Bannister. He routinely played 24+ minutes under Bannister

They did shift pairings up at times, not for more offense, but to balance the defensive loads. When Leddy and Parayko are together, nobody else can play D. When they dud split them, they would double shift Leddy so he got by far the most TOI of any LD. He is our 1LD, no question. We may put Broberg or someone with Parayko, but Leddy will get more ice time.
Ah OK, I misinterpreted the line pairings as being Leddy's role decreasing when he get paired with Kessel for the tail end of the season. Looking at the detailed TOI splits; he was still 22 minutes per game, I hadn't realized that Kessel was elevated that much in his usage (he got up to 19 minutes per game and over a minute of PK).

I've always like Faulk but maybe it's just that he seems to be an Avs-killer why I still give him the benefit of the doubt as a top 4 lock.

Agreed with you on Lindstein, he had a coming of age year this past year, and with Jiricek also in the pipeline they should be able to replace the old vets 1 at a time over the next few years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ah OK, I misinterpreted the line pairings as being Leddy's role decreasing when he get paired with Kessel for the tail end of the season. Looking at the detailed TOI splits; he was still 22 minutes per game, I hadn't realized that Kessel was elevated that much in his usage (he got up to 19 minutes per game and over a minute of PK).

I've always like Faulk but maybe it's just that he seems to be an Avs-killer why I still give him the benefit of the doubt as a top 4 lock.

Agreed with you on Lindstein, he had a coming of age year this past year, and with Jiricek also in the pipeline they should be able to replace the old vets 1 at a time over the next few years.
Faulk was playing injured for a bulk of the season, and that impacted his play. We'll see if he bounces back though.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Oilers can package the 2nd and 3rd rd compensation picks to replace Holloway much cheaper.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
There is a very small shot that someone might take Ceci for nothing. RHD are hard to find, and he is a pending UFA.

With that said, I don't think it is likely.

I could see the scenario being that there was legitimate interest in Ceci earlier in the offseason when teams still had cap flexibility, but now the market could have shifted because there is so little legitimate cap and Edmonton cannot take back money.

If I am Utah and I want to get Weber's LTIR contract off the books to avoid that complication, I would call up Edmonton and propose Weber for Ceci and a small plus, then I would either keep Ceci or flip him with retention for an asset.

It's going to take a perfect storm to dump Ceci for free. Something like a 3-way deal, where a team will give up a decent asset for Ceci half-retained, and the middle man who retains takes that asset instead of Edmonton.

Something like: Edmonton trades Ceci+5th to Utah, Utah trades Ceci @ 1.625 to Ottawa for warm body+3rd. That would be very similar cap wise to the Glass trade. Glass does cost a few hundred K more in cap and real dollars than Ceci, but he is also taking up a roster spot that they would spend 800k on regardless, where as Ceci wouldn't take up a roster spot for the third party team, so it's effectively the same amount of money.

This would be unpopular with most Sens fans but I would do it. Ceci was terrible at a 3D when in Ottawa but he is a fine option as a 6/7. It would also mean that Hamonic would not play.

Kleven/JBD/Ceci would be a huge upgrade to compliment a decent top 4 in Ottawa.

Reactions: Seanaconda

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
As much as I hope Broberg will now become Adam Boqvist 2.0 for the Blues, I believe he’ll be a sure fire top 4 d man

Oilers should/will match on Holloway easily… he’s probably worth 2.3M as soon as next season but he could’ve been had for 1.5 or under… Blues caused the Oilers to run with 1 less player on the roster and lose Broberg for bad value. I feel Broberg should have the value of a mid 1st but instead, he’ll be lost for a 2nd…

Bond

May 10, 2012
2 veterans D in Kulak and Ceci that played the stanley cup finals. 2 goals away from the cup. You know what cap casualty McLeod went for?
Ceci was part of the worst pairing in the playoffs. No one is taking him for free to help the Oilers, especially in this situation

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
The Oilers can package the 2nd and 3rd rd compensation picks to replace Holloway much cheaper.

They don't even need to do that- there are still plenty of UFAs out there who I'm sure could be convinced to take $1M (or less) for a spot on the Stanley Cup finalists:

-Pacioretty
-JVR
-Hoffman
-Wheeler
-Kubalik
-Labanc
-Yamamoto
-Okposo possibly

Will Holloway be better than most of them long-term? That's pretty likely, but all Edmonton has to care about is this year, and any one of the above can be a warm body on a scoring third line (likely with Adam Henrique as their C which is a pretty decent spot to be in).

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I personally don’t think Broberg showed as much as people think. But, losing McLeod, Holloway and Broberg in one offseason would be kinda brutal. The few young players Edmonton has managed to graduate in the last half decade all gone at once.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gotta admit this is smart by the Blues..................other teams in cap trouble right now are looking at their RFA's trying to get something done......asap.

Any early indications on what the Oil will do? Has there been any official statement?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ceci was part of the worst pairing in the playoffs. No one is taking him for free to help the Oilers, especially in this situation
I think you are underestimating how much RD get paid. Just look at Matt Dumba's deal. Ceci is better, and paid less. No contenders will want Ceci, but there are teams trying to make the playoffs where Ceci would be a big upgrade on what they currently have. I wouldn't say there is no way that any team would take him for free.

Gotta admit this is smart by the Blues..................other teams in cap trouble right now are looking at their RFA's trying to get something done......asap.

Any early indications on what the Oil will do? Has there been any official statement?
They have said nothing, and they likely don't say anything until they either match, or time expires and we know they have not.

Reactions: BLONG7

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ceci is clutch Mr. Game 7, but it also shows a lot about his ability and what the coach thinks of him when they demote him to the third pairing and put Broberg, who had barely any NHL experience, and was playing on his off side, over both Ceci and Kulak.

I'm of the position that if it's Broberg or Ceci you take Broberg all day. I don't think that is a controversial opinion. Ceci and Nurse cost us Game 1 of the cup final and nearly cost us the Vancouver series as well.
What I'm saying is if you lose Ceci and keep Broberg, you just solved one problem and created an equal one for the next season. And Broberg makes about $1.35MM more next year so it's not the same AAV either.

Ceci and Broberg both played well in the playoffs.... Ceci was often better than Nurse and nearly always better than Kulak. If you lose Ceci... you just opened up a sizeable problem on your defense that Joshua Brown doesn't fix. Nor does Strecher.

You're now are missing a big RHD that played 20 minutes a game for the Oilers last year and wasn't your worst defender either. Played in nearly every game too so he is reliable to be in the lineup. It doesn't make you better to lose Ceci. It makes the Oilers a bit worse and in a tough spot to backfill. Big RHD.

It means you play Kulak and Nurse more and wear them down. Puts more pressure on Broberg too. And he's definitely having to play off hand as well. Oh yes. And I guess no Kane next year either.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Can someone summarize?

I imagine we're in the period in which the Oilers have the option to match.

Is it expected that they will or even can? Do they have the cap?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
2 veterans D in Kulak and Ceci that played the stanley cup finals. 2 goals away from the cup. You know what cap casualty McLeod went for?
Ryan McLeod is a great 3C trade chip. Big, fast, great skater, experienced and playoff tested. Just 24 years old.

There are a lot of NHL teams that would love to have a Ryan McLeod on their team. I wish he was on mine. The idea Buffalo overpaid is bizarre to me. He's a good player and the Oilers are going to miss him.

Dude has 66 takeways last year. That's impressive and means he's pretty good defensively. Good corsi stats, pretty good short handed stats. He's ok in the dot at slight above 50%. Played 14 minutes a game and in all 81 games so again... he stays healthy.

You guys will miss this player. Makes me laugh when Oilers fans trash this guy like he’s a throwaway player.

Last edited:

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Players want to win, but it’s not the final puzzle piece for everyone. Players also need financial security for life.

A weird way for Holloway to get that is by actively choosing not to play with the two best players in the game during key RFA years, thereby hurting his point totals and future earning potential.

in hindsight, it was the perfect decision for Kuzmenko. He got paid handsomely by showing he wasn’t a byproduct of other players.

And now he's stuck on a bottom feeder that lacks starpower. No winning, and no bigger paychecks because he won't be scoring much more than what he is already. That doesn't sound like a perfect decision at all.

Reactions: mattihp

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

The Blues are paying a lot for potential.

4.5 for Broberg is massive overpay, especially when you grabbed a similar player in PO Joseph for under 1mil at the start of summer.

Holloway's money isn't as obscene, rather it's close to the high end of reasonable. Still I think the Oil pass.

Holloway at 1 to 1.5 is a guy that is more likely than not to outperform his contract. That's worth the overlap in playstyle he has with Janmark. At 2.3 that setup isn't as attractive. Ideally you'd get someone more physically imposing (like a Kostin) to complement Janmark and the rest of the bottom 6.

Reactions: BLONG7 and nturn06

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Can someone summarize?

I imagine we're in the period in which the Oilers have the option to match.

Is it expected that they will or even can? Do they have the cap?

I think they're already over the cap as it is, and have some more pressing issues to cover, so if anything they might keep one and let the other go.

Or maybe they let them both go, they have a week to decide. :dunno:

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad