Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Colton Parayko signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $6.5M AAV)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Great deal. With all of our other contracts we were already set up to be in a major decline in 5 years. Love that AAV for the time being and in those years it shouldn’t really matter all too much

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s a massively frontloaded deal. By the back half of it we will be ready to blow it up (at least a retool) and he could fetch a big return.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wondering what Blues fans think of this, because, rightly or wrongly, most of the praise seems to be coming from outsiders at the moment.

I think of him as a stud, but admittidely I can't watch him that much. I've also heard he's taken a bit of a step back over the last couple years because of injuries, so are we all just remembering his glory days? What's his deal.
Almost unanimously positive reception among Blues fans from what I've seen.

Other than last season, Parayko has been remarkably durable in his career. Last year was basically a throw away with the entire Blues roster devastated by injuries. Parayko missed significant time with a back injury, and he was very obviously not 100% in the games he did manage to play. When healthy, Parayko is a force. And all indications are that he is healthy heading into this season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is probably the upper echelon for a defensive d-man. If he produced a bit more he probably would have gotten a couple more mil a year, even with the health questions.
This. Look at what Pelech and Brodin signed for. It's not his back that kept the $ down, it's his limited offensive production. This is fair deal for all parties.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
We're all very happy with it. His only down year was last season because of a back injury, and I doubt we'd give him an 8 year deal if we don't think his back looks good.

Now, with any 8 year deal, there is a high risk of the last few years being pretty bad, but since we already have multiple of those contracts I'm fine with maximizing whatever window we have left knowing that 4-6 years from now, we'll have to rebuild or retool.

If Parayko signed for what many here believe is below market value, it seems like he does not think his back looks good.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
That is a great deal

it’s a little long for a 29yr old, but what they “save” in years 1-4 will more than make up for any drop off in yr 7-8 (not to mention barring another pandemic the cap will be a lot higher in 2029)

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Not sure how Parayko only gets 6.5M x 8YRs when Nurse and Jones get over 9M x 8YRs.

Great deal for the Blues.
Please don't lump Nurse in with Jones. The shitting on Jones is getting ridiculous. Jones is very clearly better than both and Parayko is better than Nurse.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He will be 36 years old to start that last year of the contract. And I don't consider Parayko like "most guys." The guy is an absolute monster out there.
Weber, suter, Seabrook weren't "monsters" and "not like most guys?"

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Wow, huge steal. This is like they took away inflation for the last 10 years or so.

Either Parayko is a teamplayer and took a discount or his agent is a dummy.

He could've easily gotten at least $8M AAV if he really wanted to.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How though? All the money thrown around (Jones, Nurse, Makar, etc.) and Parayko only signs for $6.5 mil?

Steal for the Blues.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I thought he would have gotten 8aav ( which would have been a bit expensive but what he could get), 6.5 AAV is great.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
That’s probably the right answer but maybe he also loves the organization and wants to ride with us.

He got a Cup so all that’s really left for him is getting paid… or it it?

Injuries aside this could also (at least how I’m looking at it) be a loyalty move and might say good things about the teams environment and locker room too.

Price is great, term is fine and with the contracts being signed right now, this might be the easiest contract to move down the road just from the price.

So the goal is just 1 Stanley Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad