Still early, but anyone else feel the Chychrun-Jensen trade might actually be a win-win trade?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Chychrun is going to command what, 6-8 mil starting next year?

Jensen should probably stay around the 4 mil mark and he's got an extra year.

That's the only real problem I see, Washington's already at the cap.

Reactions: Altimus

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Jensen fit the Senators a lot a lot better. Both in playing the right side and just a strong defensive defenseman
Yeah, and Chychrun is more what the Caps needed, there was a severe lack of offensive capability on the Caps blue line last year outside of Carlson.

So it seems to be working out well for both teams, always nice to see a trade that works both ways.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
like most trades we have to wait for both guys to get comfortable with their new teams to see who they really have. Old habits and all that

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018

I think the Caps can definitely work a Chychrun extension into their contracts. They don’t have much else to do as far as new contracts this year. Mangiapane at 5.8 comes off the books, likely replaced with a rookie contract from someone like Leonard or Miro. Their two super cheap goalies are both UFA’s, will see how that shakes out. But I think if they decide they want to keep him and he wants to stay it should be doable without hurting the team.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think the Caps can definitely work a Chychrun extension into their contracts. They don’t have much else to do as far as new contracts this year. Mangiapane at 5.8 comes off the books, likely replaced with a rookie contract from someone like Leonard or Miro. Their two super cheap goalies are both UFA’s, will see how that shakes out. But I think if they decide they want to keep him and he wants to stay it should be doable without hurting the team.
Right, and they're going to have 2-3 players on rookie contracts on the team next year in Leonard, Miro and maybe Cristall. Plus Backstrom and I think Oshie come off.

The cap shouldn't be a problem.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Value wise it's a loss for Ottawa even if Jensen fits Ottawas team more right now.

It's just poor asset control. If chychrun is a top 4D in 5 years and Jensen is long gone and Ottawa wants to compete down the road, it's poor asset control.

Chychrun being more valuable than Jensen and therefore being able to command a higher salary isn't exactly a plus for Jensen though.

It's like saying I would rather have Zack MacEwan over McDavid because McDavid will command 13M and we don't have that cap space but we have the cap space for MacEwan so we wouldn't make that swap in the summer? Yeah right.

Unless one is overpaid...but if both command market value and one gets noticeably more, it's because he's a better player or more valuable asset.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Chychrun wasn't a fit for the Senators because his style of play (offensively gifted) was and is already existent with Sanderson and Chabot, both of them LDs as well. He had always been kind of redundant, just taking offensive output away from the others. I preferred Chychrun over Chabot for some stretches of last season (as he is more physical and Chabot can be very frustrating to watch), but the Senators were never going to trade away a player who had been their #1 d-man for so many tough years, who was drafted by them and who is their alternative captain, just in order to keep a player who didn't necessarily outplay him and who might ask for a big pay rise.
I like Chychrun a lot, though, and hope that he finds a great future with Washington and that he can finally stay healthy.

I personally view it as a win-win-trade, not because Jensen has the same worth on the market, but because Jensen's game has more worth to the Senators in this exact situation. He is solid defensively, very smart (and can read Sanderson's or Chabot's plays), plays important minutes in basically all situations while not decreasing the level of the Senator's overall skill. Zub and Jensen are great support for Sanderson and Chabot all in all, while Jensen adds a touch of playoff-experience as well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Haven’t really noticed either player in the couple games so far. That’s Jesnsen’s game. He’s that solid defensively sound guy who isn’t noticed when he’s playing good. It seems Chychrun has learned he needs to play a similar role. He’s a career minus player who has always put up goals and points but never really lead to his team winning. This year he’s a plus player with 1 point. He seemingly has put helping his team win as his first priority. And that means not noticing him. He’s just player smart.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The exceptionally smart defensive player is rocking the second worst xGA and GA on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad