Steven Stamkos is truly lucky that he plays for Tampa Bay

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
He's not been a good playoff performer. No doubt about it.

But most of the series losses have been to better teams.

2011: Boston was better.
2014: Team was decimated with injuries. Terrible goalie.
2015: Chicago was better
2016: Pittsburgh was better
2018: Washington was better imo.
2019: Complete embarrassment. Sweep.
2020: He was injured. They win the cup.

You can say TB won the cup without him. True. But isn't it quite possible that Isles & Stars series never goes 6 games with a healthy Stamkos? TB likely wins in fewer games.

I would say Boston won in 2011, so yes they were better but took 7 games, with B's winning game 7 1-0, Bolts getting no pp's ( dont remember what B's got but it was more than one) What I really remember is Stammer blocking a puck with his face and coming back out for the 3rd period forever earning my respect. I would say Tim Thomas was better than Rolo that year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's been fantastic... in the regular season. Maybe better than ever, all facets considered. But he has never had a shining post-season. Somehow he turns into more of a complementary player, especially in hard-nosed series.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Even when he was not injured and at his peak he was never the guy to take over games or the main guy to carry the play, his line and team.

Sometimes he would pick up the puck in his own zone, fly down the wing and snipe one top shelf - even in the playoffs (think it was vs. Montreal a few years back and of course - one of the greatest moments in hockey - last SCF against Dallas in just 2min of TOI) but that was rare.

He would rather completely disappear, fly under the opponent’s radar and reappear out of nowhere finishing off a great play by St. Louis, Kucherov or other linemates who did the heavy lifting, fight for pucks, take the hit to make the play, do the tricky passes etc. You saw him touch the puck just a handful of times per game and somehow finish with 2 goals and an assist.

Last season and even earlier this season he seemed much improved. We essentially saw Stamkos 2.0: Not the prototypical sniper relying only on his shot and positioning but a more versatile player. Good mobility and skating, creating plays, more involved along the boards and defensively, he was even a regular on the PK.

We can just guess but I think he’s once again banged up pretty badly. His TOI is down, he’s more of a passenger and mostly just gets deployed for important faceoffs and on the PP.

It’s an accumulation of bad luck and repeat injuries that leaves a lot of room for “what if” scenarios. He could’ve been one of the greatest ever but unfortunately never got the chance to.

He’s still one of my favorite players and an awesome dude.

Last edited:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Last game. Stamkos gets a grade A scoring chance right in front of the net with time and space to place a perfect shot. That's a goal 8 times out of 10 in the regular season. What happened ? He completely whiffed on the puck. It's like he's having playoffs PTSD.

Reactions: slapKing

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Stamkos is still valuable and especially on the PP. Teams know he has it and must cheat over to defend his deadly one timer from the dot. Opens it up for us to score with other guys. He is lucky to be here as all of our players are playing on an awesome team. There is no argument he is beyond the point where he is the best on the team, but heck look at the guys we have some whom are in the best in the league conversations every year. He is a respected captain and a warrior. Even though he played 2 minutes against Dallas he scored and that helped ignited us on to win the cup. The players love the guy.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I was telling some friends last night. Tampa can trade Stamkos and it would not make a difference.

Trade Kucherov, Hedman and even Point and the difference would be huge. Stamkos is not a difference maker for them

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I was telling some friends last night. Tampa can trade Stamkos and it would not make a difference.

Trade Kucherov, Hedman and even Point and the difference would be huge. Stamkos is not a difference maker for them
You say that like you are going out on a limb here. Tampa did in fact win the Stanley Cup without him. The cold hard evidence therefore already exists. This isn't even a hypothetical question.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Stamkos has been an infuriating player his entire career. He has always had an elite shot, especially a one-timer, making him lethal from Ovie's office. But he has never been able to drive the play. He can dangle in all star games and randomly will make something work in a real game, but, more often than not, he has stone hands and will cough the puck up when pressured - compare him to Kucherov and Point under pressure and the distinction is obvious.

What is most frustrating about him - and I have been yelling about this for years - is that he really could be so much better. The effort is there for Stamkos - he hustles and has become defensively responsible and great on the forecheck/cycle game. But what continues to puzzle me is that Cooper has not forced him to watch highlights of Brett Hull. He has no idea how to find the quiet areas 5/5 and put more rubber on net. Stamkos still could flirt with 50 goals a year still if he focused on this. His shot is still elite. And yet he will cycle around in the offensive zone 5/5 until he coughs the puck up. When you have an elite skill, you need to use it as much as possible. But he wants to show that he is average to above average forechecking and cycling. Put simply, he would benefit from being a high volume shooter. It does not, however, appear like he even realizes this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
He's never been the same since the leg injury. Prior to that he was playing the best hockey of his life.

But yeah, if he was expected to carry his team the way most 1st OAs are, we'd be talking about how disappointing his career arc has been (relative to his early career potential and 60G season).

Joyce Harmon

Dec 10, 2017
Everytime I watch the playoffs, I come out and feel disappointed with Stamkos. To me, he's not someone who can elevate his team on his back. Let me explain further.

2011: His first taste of playoff games. TB go on to the conference finals, but lose to Boston in 7 games. This was Stamkos' first playoff run, so it's fair to be not too harsh on him. But he wasn't the reason TB got that far, it was due to St. Louis, Vinny, and Roloson.

2014: TB loses to 4 straight against Montreal. Nothing to go off of much here. He was the leading scorer for Tampa, but it's 4 games, doesn't tell much. However, it's understandable coming off of his first major injury, so he gets some slack.

2015: The lightning go the the Finals, but that was mainly due to the triplet's line, Hedman, and Bishop. Absolute non factor in the Finals (1 assist).

2016: The lightning go all the way to game 7 against Pittsburgh, but losing in 7. Stamkos, once again had a major injury, and comes back for game 7 against Pittsburgh, but is a non factor. Hedman, Kucherov, Bishop, Drouin, and Johnson were huge this run.

2018: TB go to the conference finals. Stamkos wasn't too bad this run, but he didn't show up during the last few games against Washington (no pts in the last 3 games). In fairness, same can be said for Kucherov, Hedman, and Point who were all held scoreless for game 5, 6, and 7.

2019: Absolute failure for Tampa. This is a failure for everyone when getting sweep.

2020: Pretty much win a cup without him after sustaining another injury. Hedman, Kucherov, Point, and Vasy lead the way.

2021: Current run. Hedman, Kucherov, Point, and Vasy are once again leading the way. Also, Killorn has been great as well.

Stamkos has never really been someone to put his team on his back. 2016 and 2020 did just fine with Stamkos. He wasn't the major factor with Tampa getting far in 2011, 2015, and so far 2021. The only playoffs where I felt he did good for the most part was in 2018, and even that ended in a sournote.

Stamkos at this point is a luxury for Tampa, not a need. they already proved they can win without him. Even when he is in the lineup, he's not the reason why Tampa goes far. He's truly lucky that some of his teammates are playoff monsters.

I'll admit that if Tampa wins this year, I would be annoyed with Stamkos as a 2 time cup champion. Doesn't sit right with me. Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Vasy etc. are great. They would truly earn that right being called 2 time cup champions. For Stamkos, he doesn't earn that monikor.
Injuries have diminished Stamkos’ power. He used to be a force.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016

You’d be wrong though.

His on ice production and impact - you’d be correct on.

His main impact to the team is actually off the ice. He does a lot for his teammates in their personal life which is why they all love him.

He’s not the driving force of the team, but certainly the heart and soul of it.

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
Correct me if I'm wrong but dude has 14 in 14 games and we are crying he's washed up, come on. He is the heart and soul of our team and I am sure that every man on the Bolts is proud to have him as their Captain.

Reactions: NightMist

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Injuries have robbed him of any chance of being a playoff performer. Main difference is his speed, he can’t skate like he did when he first entered the league.
Pretty much this. He’s so beat up and he’s not getting any younger. But what a career he’s had; and also one of the most important Tampa sports athletes of all time IMO.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's a shooter at this point, probably at his best on the pp. I don't think many people expect him to carry the team. Much like Ovechkin, he needed the rest of the team to be great to win it all. I haven't expected Stamkos to carry a team in a long time to be honest.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
While injuries have slowed him and he won’t live up to the promise of the 60 goals this thread goes too far.

This year he’s PPG in the playoffs.

Career 68 points in 85 playoff games.

He is still quite solid

NightMist

Mar 18, 2021
Everyone knows he's hurt again. (Again) The thing is, this time he knows the narrative of playoff time= get hurt is just too much anymore to Justify what Vinik is paying him, so he is playing valiantly through injury (who knows this time which injury) and is still a ppg player. Yes, hes being carried somewhat, but I don't think he can swallow another playoff run in the stands, so hes forcing himself. Rehab or clean-up surgery is almost a given after the Stanley Cup is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedmonster Bolt

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I do wonder if hes hurt cause hes a ghost out there. The guy is still a great but this playoffs and some others aren't a great look.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
While injuries have slowed him and he won’t live up to the promise of the 60 goals this thread goes too far.

This year he’s PPG in the playoffs.

Career 68 points in 85 playoff games.

He is still quite solid

Yea quietly 14 points in 14 games. Probably most of it on the power play but still can't complain too much. I'd like to see him score a little more 5v5 but we definitely like him on the pp.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He has enjoyed the ride of being a passenger. I remember when people actually considered him as a superstar and a franchise player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad