Steve Yzerman is not a good GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Why would I care how he is deployed if he doesn't get results with that deployment. Should I be comparing him to Andy Greene, Tyler Myers and Dion Phaneuf ?

Literally contested that he hasn't had some of the toughest assignments in the last 15 years and then say "Why would I care how he's deployed" when it's cited.

Nevermind the influence his deployment would also have on his offensive numbers.

Lmao.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Literally contested that he hasn't had some of the toughest assignments in the last 15 years and then say "Why would I care how he's deployed" when it's cited.

Nevermind the influence his deployment would also have on his offensive numbers.

Lmao.
I didn't deny he had tough assignements just said that every top D on a team gets the toughest assignments. It does mean he has the trust of his coach as the top defensive D, but it doesn't mean anything else without more stats/context

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I didn't deny he had tough assignements just said that every top D a team gets the toughest assignments. It does mean he has the trust of his coach as the top defensive D, but it doesn't mean anything else without more stats/context
Nah, some of them really don't lol.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Just like Brian Burke said

Burke and his lottery bitching in the 2010s reminds me... His Pittsburgh comparison isn't even allowable in the league anymore. They got Top 2 picks four years in a row. Now you can't win the lottery more than twice in five years. :laugh:

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
So success comes down to luck more than anything else and previous drafting results don't mean much?

I don't disagree, but building a team covers more facets than just the draft.

So you're saying Detroit should've done...what? Made trades? Trades with what assets?

Signed FAs? What star player in all hell would've signed with Detroit while the team was trending down so hard?

Reactions: Realgud

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So you're saying Detroit should've done...what? Made trades? Trades with what assets?

Signed FAs? What star player in all hell would've signed with Detroit while the team was trending down so hard?
Not to mention chasing big name FAs almost never goes well.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Ya that was a shrewd move giving up 25OA to get rid of 4 years of Korpisalo contract, and get a recent Vezina winner.
Why is he unwilling to sign there? You made that up.
No one is shrewd for signing the contract then dumping the player while giving up a 1st. Ullmark resigning makes or breaks the trade. *imo*

We indeed will see.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People keep bringing up Toronto as if I have ever claimed that they have done anything but underachieve, when the reality is under Keefe and Dubas they did fail, and that's why after 5 straight years of failure they got fired and rightly so because they didn't make enough progress, I can't say 0 progress because they did end the 19 year series win drought.

But that alone is not nearly enough so they got fired.

Now new people are in charge and we will see if it works out under Treliving and Berube.

Doesn't charge the fact that Yzerman has accomplished even less than Dubas and Keefe did, Which is saying a lot because Dubas is among the worst GM'S in the league and Keefe IS the worst coach in the league but even those 2 idiots got the team to the playoffs.

Yzerman can't even hit that low bar.
Yzerman has improved his team every single season since he became GM (no other team has done so in that time frame btw)

He’s built a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL

Starting from literally rock bottom, that’s pretty damn good.

Their rebuild started in 2017 not 2019 and he had already thr most valuable asset on the roster, their 1C

I’m so tired of listening to how he had to start from nothing and be the excuse for the next 10 years. Their future still doesn’t look that bright.

Longterm would rather have Buffalos and Montreals rosters from the basement teams from the Atlantic and Montreal has been rebuilding for way shorter amount
The top prospect coming over from that “2017 rebuild” is the great…. Michael Rasmussen??

Yes he has a good PPG #1C with some health issues.

That’s literally it lol.

Reactions: Sentinel

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just because a team is not good doesn't mean they were doing rebuilding properly in 2017. They still had a bunch of veterans on bad contracts, and they wouldn't scorch the earth while Zetterberg was still there.

2019 was the first season when they went full tank mode. Yzerman took the job knowing very well he won't be helping the team to get better in the first couple years. I believe one of the first things he said was there's going to be pain.

Now you are changing your original comment

They started their rebuild in 2017 and had their most valuable asset already in the system once Y took the job. Doesn’t mean the rebuild was perfect at the time but it had already started and who cares about them having bad contracts at the time? It’s part of a early rebuild. Every team that enters rebuild has anchors weighing against the cap. But the goal isn’t to be good at the time so it doesn’t matter.

People give Y lot of excuses for Detroit having bad luck in lottery.
But who’s the Gm of the team and what’s the job of a Gm?

Lottery isn’t the only way to add talent so if you feel you didn’t get the assets you needed from the draft you have to trade for them, sign them. Can’t be a top tier Gm and just cry non stop about bad lottery luck. Make your own luck, building the roster is on you and you are getting paid millions

So years later how does their rebuild look? = Average is the answer.
Lacks franchise talent at F, either from the lineup and prospect pool very questionable goaltending

But then we’ll again hear but but but but but. What has Y done to convince you he’ll land that missing franchise player withing the next 12 months? Damm nothing, but but but but he’s only in year 6, give me a break

Yzerman has improved his team every single season since he became GM (no other team has done so in that time frame btw)

He’s built a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL

Starting from literally rock bottom, that’s pretty damn good.

The top prospect coming over from that “2017 rebuild” is the great…. Michael Rasmussen??

Yes he has a good PPG #1C with some health issues.

That’s literally it lol.

& that’s the most valuable asset and the most difficult to land.. He had it already in the system

We are in year 6 of his masterplan and he has brought in zero elite forwards in. Detroit is severely behind multiple teams in the Atlantic and Buffalo& Montreal from behind have a better thing going.
They are stuck in no man’s land but I guess congrats on that. Making the 1st round will be your Stanley Cup with this plan, hurray

But but but but 6 years isn’t enough to add legit talent!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Now you are changing your original comment

They started their rebuild in 2017 and had their most valuable asset already in the system once Y took the job. Doesn’t mean the rebuild was perfect at the time but it had already started and who cares about them having bad contracts at the time? It’s part of a early rebuild. Every team that enters rebuild has anchors weighing against the cap. But the goal isn’t to be good at the time so it doesn’t matter.

People give Y lot of excuses for Detroit having bad luck in lottery.
But who’s the Gm of the team and what’s the job of a Gm?

Lottery isn’t the only way to add talent so if you feel you didn’t get the assets you needed from the draft you have to trade for them, sign them. Can’t be a top tier Gm and just cry non stop about bad lottery luck. Make your own luck, building the roster is on you and you are getting paid millions

So years later how does their rebuild look? = Average is the answer.
Lacks franchise talent at F, either from the lineup and prospect pool very questionable goaltending

But then we’ll again hear but but but but but. What has Y done to convince you he’ll land that missing franchise player withing the next 12 months? Damm nothing, but but but but he’s only in year 6, give me a break

& that’s the most valuable asset and the most difficult to land.. He had it already in the system

We are in year 6 of his masterplan and he has brought in zero elite forwards in. Detroit is severely behind multiple teams in the Atlantic and Buffalo& Montreal from behind have a better thing going.
They are stuck in no man’s land but I guess congrats on that. Making the 1st round will be your Stanley Cup with this plan, hurray

Larkin is on the lower end of top 1Cs in the league.

He got the best player available in the 2019, 2020, and very possibly 2021, drafts (way too early to say for any other draft).

Can you please show us all of the elite talent that has been available AND wouldn’t have set back the rebuild by trading away the top prospects?

I’ll wait.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Hasn't this thread taught you nothing? Steve Yzerman cannot be Criticized because if you do Red Wings fan start to cry because how dare you speak the truth.

Although I'm not sure if I agree that Buffalo has a better thing going, they should by now but they just seem to make every wrong decision they possibly can.

That's still not a credit to Detroit though.
Yzerman gets criticized plenty on Wings boards.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think Yzerman is pretty good.

He's not into quick fixes, and his teams constantly improve. I like that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's your opinion. Detroit was a signficantly better team than both last season.

A recurring theme when it comes to Yzerman critics is ignoring facts for subjective takes.
It's been 5 years. And he's added legit talent.

Choose a leg to stand on. Either the team should have been contending sooner because Larkin is such a stud, or they lack franchise talent at F. Both positions at the same time is quantum entanglement which is so far unproven at the scale you're attempting it.

Goalies:

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's your opinion. Detroit was a signficantly better team than both last season.

A recurring theme when it comes to Yzerman critics is ignoring facts for subjective takes.

It's been 5 years. And he's added legit talent.

Choose a leg to stand on. Either the team should have been contending sooner because Larkin is such a stud, or they lack franchise talent at F. Both positions at the same time is quantum entanglement which is so far unproven at the scale you're attempting it.

Goalies:

Being better than both Buffalo and Montreal is not an accomplishment they will likely be the 2 worst teams in the Atlantic this coming season.

In fact I would suggest that Buffalo aside because I don't think anything Buffalo did is going to make a damn bit of difference, everybody else in the division gained ground on Detroit because everything Detroit did with the possible exception of replacing Perron with Tarasenko was bad.

Everything else was a step back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Being better than both Buffalo and Montreal is not an accomplishment they will likely be the 2 worst teams in the Atlantic this coming season.

In fact I would suggest that Buffalo aside because I don't think anything Buffalo did is going to make a damn bit of difference, everybody else in the division gained ground on Detroit because everything Detroit did with the possible exception of replacing Perron with Tarasenko was bad.

Everything else was a step back.
People thought Detroit got worse last offseason too. Let's wait and see. Will you admit you were wrong about Yzerman and the rebuild if they improve again? Or how many years of improvement will take it for you admit they're heading in the right direction? 8? 10? 20?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People thought Detroit got worse last offseason too. Let's wait and see. Will you admit you were wrong about Yzerman and the rebuild if they improve again? Or how many years of improvement will take it for you admit they're heading in the right direction? 8? 10? 20?

How many years in a row can he miss the playoffs before you admit you sucks at his job?

Wings fans can talk about improvement all they want but is it really improvement if all you get to watch is 82 games and you never get game 83?

The wings remind me if the Sabres after they got Eichel, they went from 54 to 81 points and EVERYBODY thought they were going to break through.

Not only did that not happen they went from 81, to 78, to 62 points.

Now Detroit is in the same boat EVERYBODY thinks they are going to break through.

To do that they have to pass one of Toronto, Boston, Tampa or Florida.

So tell me which one are the Red Wings passing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How many years in a row can he miss the playoffs before you admit you sucks at his job?

Wings fans can talk about improvement all they want but is it really improvement if all you get to watch is 82 games and you never get game 83?
Wow I'm shocked that you didn't answer a direct question and instead deflected.

As for your question, which I've already answered, there's almost no scenario in which 25-26 wouldn't be playoffs-or-bust.

Also, please don't pretend that if the Wings get to Game 83 and lose in the 1st round you're not going to move goalposts again. Can we just be honest about that?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Wow I'm shocked that you didn't answer a direct question and instead deflected.

As for your question, which I've already answered, there's almost no scenario in which 25-26 wouldn't be playoffs-or-bust.

Also, please don't pretend that if the Wings get to Game 83 and lose in the 1st round you're not going to move goalposts again. Can we just be honest about that?

No, if they got to game 83 I would say that made progress.

It's progress they should already have made but it would at least be progress

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No, if they got to game 83 I would say that made progress.

It's progress they should already have made but it would at least be progress
So if Philly doesn't pull their goalie for no reason you'd be totally fine with the job Yzerman has done, even though literally nothing would be different about the job Yzerman has done?

THAT'S the reason you think Yzerman has done a "shit job"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad