OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Thinking about flying out to the STL to take my kid to the 10/15 game against the Mild. Airfares that Monday are stupid expensive. I also can't believe how few lower level tickets to the game are available.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Thinking about flying out to the STL to take my kid to the 10/15 game against the Mild. Airfares that Monday are stupid expensive. I also can't believe how few lower level tickets to the game are available.

Okay. Plane tickets booked (forgot I had quite a bit of Southwest credit). If I have two nights' hotel near the Arch, in CWE, or in Clayton, which one would you choose? Besides the game, hitting City Museum, Forest Park, and The Hill (the Arch and Crown Candy Kitchen if time permits).

Reactions: Celtic Note

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Okay. Plane tickets booked (forgot I had quite a bit of Southwest credit). If I have two nights' hotel near the Arch, in CWE, or in Clayton, which one would you choose? Besides the game, hitting City Museum, Forest Park, and The Hill (the Arch and Crown Candy Kitchen if time permits).
Omg you are going to have a great trip!

Is it business?

I would go with near Arch for Hotel.

Must try Imo's Pizza and Ted Drew's ice cream.

Reactions: pseudoswede

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'd stay in CWE (assuming you'll take Lyft/Uber) because it is central to each of those places you want to check out.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Is it business?

I would go with near Arch for Hotel.

Must try Imo's Pizza and Ted Drew's ice cream.

My kid is on fall break, my wife will be visiting her parents, and the Blues' home opener is at the same time. I figured why not.

I could never get used to St. Louis-style pizza when I lived there. I'm also not a huge fan of frozen custard.

I'd stay in CWE (assuming you'll take Lyft/Uber) because it is central to each of those places you want to check out.

I've read mixed things about the sketchiness of CWE. Some say it's iffy at night, others say it's a non-issue. I was in CWE in April, and it seemed fine (but I was just putzing around with a bunch of dudes as opposed to this time where I'm traveling solo with my teenage daughter). It's pretty much a consensus to avoid downtown at night, so I scratched the Hyatt Regency off the list.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not sure how much coin you want to drop, but Chase Park Plaza is a nice building. I know people that stay there for business trips. In CWE, across across from Forest Park.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
My kid is on fall break, my wife will be visiting her parents, and the Blues' home opener is at the same time. I figured why not.

I could never get used to St. Louis-style pizza when I lived there. I'm also not a huge fan of frozen custard.

I've read mixed things about the sketchiness of CWE. Some say it's iffy at night, others say it's a non-issue. I was in CWE in April, and it seemed fine (but I was just putzing around with a bunch of dudes as opposed to this time where I'm traveling solo with my teenage daughter). It's pretty much a consensus to avoid downtown at night, so I scratched the Hyatt Regency off the list.
It's always been block-by-block in CWE as long as I can remember and I am guessing that that hasn't changed.

It's not like you're gonna be walking the blocks at night anyway, but Euclid is pretty much the only street to hang out on, unless something has dramatically changed. North of CWE is definitely sketchy along Delmar and south of CWE is mostly industrial. I would stay (hotel) as close to Euclid as possible, so that you can enjoy the heart of CWE easily and safely.

Uber/Lyft all the way, bro. That way you ain't gotta worry about it.

Not sure how much coin you want to drop, but Chase Park Plaza is a nice building. I know people that stay there for business trips. In CWE, across across from Forest Park.
I was 'bout to drop Chase Park Plaza.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Fine, use the points, but take Uber/Lyft to get around.

My best friend (who lives in South County) is going to hang with us on Tuesday morning/afternoon. Probably hit Courtesy Diner for breakfast, then we'll roam around Forest Park for a few hours before he drops us off at the hotel for a short siesta. Then we'll Uber/Lyft over to the game for 5pm door opening.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Others beat me to it but CWE is probably your best bet as it is very close to everything you are trying to do really. But honestly it doesn't take very long to get anywhere in the city. It is not a bad area but as mentioned the closer to Delmar you get it can get a little sketchier but as long as you are in the heart of the CWE you should be totally fine and right across the street from Forest Park so easy access. The Hill is also just a quick drive down Kingshighway. Looks like you are already planning on City Museum, that is a must for kids. Not sure his age but my kids love it and it is a lot of fun. Hope you guys enjoy your trip!

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
My best friend (who lives in South County) is going to hang with us on Tuesday morning/afternoon. Probably hit Courtesy Diner for breakfast, then we'll roam around Forest Park for a few hours before he drops us off at the hotel for a short siesta. Then we'll Uber/Lyft over to the game for 5pm door opening.
If you're going to The Hill, check out Rigazzi's cuz they have new owners. I thought it was permanently closed, but two locals bought it last year and will maintain it the way it's always been. That was our family's go-to place when we had dinner on The Hill, but I'm curious how the new owners are.

EDIT: On second thought @pseudoswede, you may want to avoid Rigazzi's. I haven't been there in eons and it once had its heyday, but it appears that the menu has changed for the worse with recent poor reviews by long-timers to back that up. What a shame!

Last edited:

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
If you're going to The Hill, check out Rigazzi's cuz they have new owners. I thought it was permanently closed, but two locals bought it last year and will maintain it the way it's always been. That was our family's go-to place when we had dinner on The Hill, but I'm curious how the new owners are.

EDIT: On second thought @pseudoswede, you may want to avoid Rigazzi's. I haven't been there in eons and it once had its heyday, but it appears that the menu has changed for the worse with recent poor reviews by long-timers to back that up. What a shame!

Their fish bowls were legendary back in the day. I know it's the lame touristy choice, but we're probably going to go with Anthonio's Taverna.

I was thinking about Pappy's for lunch on Tuesday, but I think we'll hit U-City Grill on The Loop. I can't believe that place is still around.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Their fish bowls were legendary back in the day. I know it's the lame touristy choice, but we're probably going to go with Anthonio's Taverna.

I was thinking about Pappy's for lunch on Tuesday, but I think we'll hit U-City Grill on The Loop. I can't believe that place is still around.
Anthonio’s is solid, though. Charlie Gito’s was also THE go-to spot, but Rich & Charlie’s in the burbs was an absolute mainstay for us growing up. They know what they’re doing, or maybe they’ve declined, idk. It happens.

There were several times when some of my family rented Charlie Gito’s for the whole evening. Those were some of my best childhood memories.

——-

So…..hockey

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
There are a shit ton (or maybe just a crap load) of self-driving, autonomous Jaguars from Waymo in the Phoenix area. Sort of like a driverless Uber. But I'm guessing it has other purposes besides ride-share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad