Steve Yzerman is not a good GM.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Current management just did the same tactic with Ullmark... We just haven't seen if it'll pan out yet.
Their pick was 7th, they gave Boston 25th,
Pretty sure most GM’s trade 4 years of Korpisalo and 25OA, for Ullmark.
I take that trade every day.

See Sens fans can be reasonable and agree with your take on what previous management did. Yet wings fans somehow can’t be critical of their own, on any point.
All hail wings management.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yzerman has ONLY TWO of his draft picks in the league so far. You all know that drafting in hockey isn't like the NFL, where those picks can be instant impact players. No one would expect him to FA the Wings back to contention.

Rebuilds in hockey take a lot longer than most other sports. It's not fair to say he sucks when the timetable only gives him two home grown players (both of which are core players) to work with.

I'll admit, his short-term FA signings really have sucked, but it's way too early to see the big picture yet.

Maybe you can't see the finished big picture yet, but you can definitely see what he's working towards. He's following the standard rebuild strategy of trading everyone that doesn't fit the long term plan for futures, and then signing the best UFAs you can convince for a few years so the futures have adequate time to develop. It's not the rebuilding GM's fault that the UFA market always sucks.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

See Sens fans can be reasonable and agree with your take on what previous management did. Yet wings fans somehow can’t be critical of their own, on any point.

I never said they traded 7th for Ullmark... To their credit, they've managed the cap for their core players pretty well and didn't need to clear Korpisalo that badly. They're not suddenly a Cup contender, so yes, if they blew a 1st to dump cap they didn't really need to dump and rent a goalie that doesn't plan on re-signing, that's a bad move.

We're also gonna pretend that Wings' fans (Including myself) haven't largely been critical of the Walman trade. :laugh: That some Wings fans haven't bitched about certain signings. That some Wings fans aren't pissy that they wont draft on ceiling/potential as if they're gonna divert from their obvious direction of drafting complete players with absurd compete level. That some Wings fans were pounding the table demanding that they make dumb trades for guys in their 30s that don't fit our window. (See Karlsson/Hellebuyck last summer)

Yes. Wings fans are never, ever critical of management. :sarcasm:

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I never said they traded 7th for Ullmark... To their credit, they've managed the cap for their core players pretty well and didn't need to clear Korpisalo that badly. They're not suddenly a Cup contender, so yes, if they blew a 1st to dump cap they didn't really need to dump and rent a goalie that doesn't plan on re-signing, that's a bad move.

We're also gonna pretend that Wings' fans (Including myself) haven't largely been critical of the Walman trade. :laugh: That some Wings fans haven't bitched about certain signings. That some Wings fans aren't pissy that they wont draft on ceiling/potential as if they're gonna divert from their obvious direction of drafting complete players with absurd compete level. That some Wings fans were pounding the table demanding that they make dumb trades for guys in their 30s that don't fit our window. (See Karlsson/Hellebuyck last summer)

Yes. Wings fans are never, ever critical of management. :sarcasm:
I don’t even have an issue paying 25OA, if it turns out to be a rental, to dump Korpisalo.
That’s twice now you’ve said , doesn’t plan on re-signing, with zero proof, other than he hasn’t signed yet, a year out.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
This is a make or break year for them. Need to take a step and actually make the playoffs. It will be tough for them to do that in the Atlantic.

It's really not. And the passive approach they took to the offseason kinda spells that out.

They likely don't make the playoffs and management is likely fine with that as long as their high end picks continue to develop. Gonna bet if Yzerman felt his feet were against the fire he would've done more than signed a bunch of 1-2 year deals for depth players.

I don’t even have an issue paying 25OA, if it turns out to be a rental, to dump Korpisalo.
That’s twice now you’ve said , doesn’t plan on re-signing, with zero proof, other than he hasn’t signed yet, a year out.
That's twice now that you've claimed I said something that I didn't say. The word "If" is pretty important here. Try reading again.

BTW, thanks for the passive admission you were full of shit that Wings fans don't criticize management. Didn't even bother responding to the multiple cited instances where they have.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Golden_Jet

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I mean as an average hockey fan that doesn’t know much about how the team looked when he inherited the GM position, yeah one could say he hasn’t had success because they haven’t made the playoffs.

But then if you dig deeper you can see how the team did not have any stock pile of prospects and regardless of horrible lottery pick luck, still managed to replenish a rather anemic prospect pool.

He isn’t trying to put together a bubble playoff team. He’s building a Stanley cup winning team. Again if you take a bit of a deeper look you can see what he’s trying to accomplish by who he’s been drafting: lots of character guys. Fast. Bigger size….

Is the process taking longer than most hoped? I would agree to the average hockey fan, yes it seems like the team hasn’t been progressing fast enough.

If you check the teams stats over the past few seasons, they have constantly improved while being able to properly develop some of the prospects year after year.

Will the team regress this year? In all honestly this isn’t the roster that’s going to be winning the next cup for the franchise, pending a small miracle, this is the roster to help insulate some of the younger players on the team, while creating the basis of a winning culture styled attitude; being a true pro and allowing some extra time for the younger players not yet on the big team to develop for the new future. So if it regresses…. It’s not the end of the world.

The Walman trade happened because of a locker room altercation that took place during the season. He put himself in a bad position moving forward this year, hence why he was given away. Trading him also created more cap flexibility for signing Stamkos who Detroit was highly rumoured in being interested in.

At the end of the day winning a championship is the ultimate goal, and if you compare Detroit to the majority of the league, they have all won the same amount of cups in the past 10 years. If you look even closer at their division, teams not named Tampa or Florida haven’t had much if any success progressing deep into the playoffs at all.

So at the end of the day I guess the question really comes down to if you’re satisfied as a fan just making the playoffs and losing after a round or maybe 2, or if your goal is a few steps further and less short sighted, of actually winning a Stanley Cup.
Boston made the Finals 5 years ago not 10.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

We certainly can.

I don’t think anyone thought Holl would be good

I’m certainly not a fan of some of the prospects he’s taken. The lack of boom or bust prospects might be a really killer and force a trade for a real offensive talent at some point.

The fact that Petry/Maatta/Holl are somehow all still on this roster makes my blood boil.

Copp is about as useless as it gets.

But the idea that a Yzerman has failed because the team hasn’t made the post season yet is ridiculous.

He’s built through the draft. The next two years as these players (hopefully) make an impact will be what decides that.

If they start busting (which I’m genuinely concerned about a few of them) then the comments are entirely warranted

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I mean as an average hockey fan that doesn’t know much about how the team looked when he inherited the GM position, yeah one could say he hasn’t had success because they haven’t made the playoffs.

But then if you dig deeper you can see how the team did not have any stock pile of prospects and regardless of horrible lottery pick luck, still managed to replenish a rather anemic prospect pool.

He isn’t trying to put together a bubble playoff team. He’s building a Stanley cup winning team. Again if you take a bit of a deeper look you can see what he’s trying to accomplish by who he’s been drafting: lots of character guys. Fast. Bigger size….

Is the process taking longer than most hoped? I would agree to the average hockey fan, yes it seems like the team hasn’t been progressing fast enough.

If you check the teams stats over the past few seasons, they have constantly improved while being able to properly develop some of the prospects year after year.

Will the team regress this year? In all honestly this isn’t the roster that’s going to be winning the next cup for the franchise, pending a small miracle, this is the roster to help insulate some of the younger players on the team, while creating the basis of a winning culture styled attitude; being a true pro and allowing some extra time for the younger players not yet on the big team to develop for the new future. So if it regresses…. It’s not the end of the world.

The Walman trade happened because of a locker room altercation that took place during the season. He put himself in a bad position moving forward this year, hence why he was given away. Trading him also created more cap flexibility for signing Stamkos who Detroit was highly rumoured in being interested in.

At the end of the day winning a championship is the ultimate goal, and if you compare Detroit to the majority of the league, they have all won the same amount of cups in the past 10 years. If you look even closer at their division, teams not named Tampa or Florida haven’t had much if any success progressing deep into the playoffs at all.

So at the end of the day I guess the question really comes down to if you’re satisfied as a fan just making the playoffs and losing after a round or maybe 2, or if your goal is a few steps further and less short sighted, of actually winning a Stanley Cup.
The Kings made too many moves that got them to the playoffs but further away from the cup. Being patient is critical.

Reactions: 13to40

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
It's factually true, nobody else will say it because It's Yzerman but it is the reality of the situation.

The man has been GM in Detroit since April 19 2019, and in that time the team has played in a grand total of 0 playoff games and let's be honest they don't look they are making it next year either, in fact they look like they took a step back.

Other than possibly replacing Perron with Tarasenko NOTHING Yzerman did this off season was good.

Trading Wallman and a 2nd literally for free, and then not replacing him was an awful choice.

Signing Jack Campbell and Cam Talbot was an awful choice because all it does is create a logjam in net, and yeah I know Campbell is probably going to be in the AHL but that still leaves you with 3 goaltenders that all expect NHL minutes and you can't give NHL minutes to 3 goalies that all know they are at least backups at this point.

Yeah there is a couple good draft picks in there and I know people will point that out but again those picks have led to 0 playoff games.

If it were any other GM in any other city, in any other sport and that GM missed the playoffs for 5 straight years that GM would get fired.

But It's Yzerman and Detroit so it won't happen but his track record is his track record he's missed the playoffs for 5 straight years, the team has missed the playoffs for 8 straight years, their goaltending is a mess, their defense is an overall mess, their forwards are OK.

If this team misses the playoffs again and they look like they it will be their 9th straight year and Yzerman 6th.

At what point do you stop living in denial and admit Yzerman has done a shit job?
zero playoff games since 2019 is pretty bad but come check out Toronto while you're at it..

Brendan Shanahan has 1 playoff win in 10 years with the team.. feel a little better now?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I can't take any of these threads seriously when it starts with "been a GM since 2019 and hasn't made the playoffs".

He took over a team that was about to hit rock bottom. Last season was the first season of his tenure some could have hoped them to make the playoffs, and they missed by a tiebreaker.

Full-blown rebuilds take time. It doesn't matter who the GM is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
zero playoff games since 2019 is pretty bad but come check out Toronto while you're at it..

Brendan Shanahan has 1 playoff win in 10 years with the team.. feel a little better now?

People keep bringing up Toronto as if I have ever claimed that they have done anything but underachieve, when the reality is under Keefe and Dubas they did fail, and that's why after 5 straight years of failure they got fired and rightly so because they didn't make enough progress, I can't say 0 progress because they did end the 19 year series win drought.

But that alone is not nearly enough so they got fired.

Now new people are in charge and we will see if it works out under Treliving and Berube.

Doesn't charge the fact that Yzerman has accomplished even less than Dubas and Keefe did, Which is saying a lot because Dubas is among the worst GM'S in the league and Keefe IS the worst coach in the league but even those 2 idiots got the team to the playoffs.

Yzerman can't even hit that low bar.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Doesn't charge the fact that Yzerman has accomplished even less than Dubas and Keefe did, Which is saying a lot because Dubas is among the worst GM'S in the league and Keefe IS the worst coach in the league but even those 2 idiots got the team to the playoffs.

are you really comparing a 105 point playoff team with Matthews, Marner, Nylander & Reilly to the 2018-19 Red Wings

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
People are going to compare his timeline in TB with that in Det, but massive difference between inheriting Stamkos and Hedman vs Larkin and drafting Seider with his first pick.

Major difference so far was landing a goalie in Vasi in his 3rd draft (which he matched with Cossa in 2021), but Vasi made the NHL quickly. And his scouting dept found key players beyond round 1 as well as some depth as well. Plus a pair of key trades of Drouin/Bishop to land Serg/Cernak. And TDL of McDonaugh.

Not sure how many of the extra 2nds and 3rds the wings had since Yzerman became GM are currently projecting well enough to expect to make the NHL in the next 2 seasons. That's the make/break for him. Det doesn't appear to have enough high end talent that TB had.

Agreed. I wasn't even considering the existing roster. I am not going to play the comparison game like most other's here. Y made some FA mistakes, sure, but he's playing the long game.
Maybe you can't see the finished big picture yet, but you can definitely see what he's working towards. He's following the standard rebuild strategy of trading everyone that doesn't fit the long term plan for futures, and then signing the best UFAs you can convince for a few years so the futures have adequate time to develop. It's not the rebuilding GM's fault that the UFA market always sucks.
To be fair, the coaching staff isn't getting the most out of those signings. Everyone outside of Compher has underachieved, based on their contracts. Not that they deserved them to begin with.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
People keep bringing up Toronto as if I have ever claimed that they have done anything but underachieve, when the reality is under Keefe and Dubas they did fail, and that's why after 5 straight years of failure they got fired and rightly so because they didn't make enough progress, I can't say 0 progress because they did end the 19 year series win drought.

But that alone is not nearly enough so they got fired.

Now new people are in charge and we will see if it works out under Treliving and Berube.

When Yzerman massively f***s up the cap structure of his entire core and blows their entire window, he'll have f***ed up as badly as Dubas did.

Detroit's worst team in 30 years has one less playoff series win in the last decade than Toronto's best team in 30 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't take any of these threads seriously when it starts with "been a GM since 2019 and hasn't made the playoffs".

He took over a team that was about to hit rock bottom. Last season was the first season of his tenure some could have hoped them to make the playoffs, and they missed by a tiebreaker.

Full-blown rebuilds take time. It doesn't matter who the GM is.

Their rebuild started in 2017 not 2019 and he had already thr most valuable asset on the roster, their 1C

I’m so tired of listening to how he had to start from nothing and be the excuse for the next 10 years. Their future still doesn’t look that bright.

Longterm would rather have Buffalos and Montreals rosters from the basement teams from the Atlantic and Montreal has been rebuilding for way shorter amount

Reactions: SENStastic

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The man's responsible for all of Tampa's success, their drafting and development was top level. It will take more than one failed job to lose that aura.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Their rebuild started in 2017 not 2019 and he had already thr most valuable asset on the roster, their 1C
Even as a huge fan of Larkin that's a weak argument.

Longterm would rather have Buffalos and Montreals rosters from the basement teams from the Atlantic and Montreal has been rebuilding for way shorter amount
That's fine but a completely different story compared to calling Yzerman a failure because it's been 5 years and they don't have a cup.

Sabres playoff drought is 13 seasons and realistically the Habs aren't making much noise any time soon.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

I’m so tired of listening to how he had to start from nothing and be the excuse for the next 10 years. Their future still doesn’t look that bright.

Larkin has been surpassed by Seider in value and will likely be passed by Raymond in the next year or two, at least as far as play quality goes. You could argue value due to position.

Maybe try that one again.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This is a make or break year for them. Need to take a step and actually make the playoffs. It will be tough for them to do that in the Atlantic.

It's not a make of break year for anyone besides Lalonde really. Expectation would be to make it but it's really likely a 50/50 chance.

The fact that 90 percent of the people who have a problem with Yzerman, are not Wings fan should say enough.
Outsiders don't have to like it and their is fair criticism about many moves to go around but the slow and steady improvement of the roster and the teams performance in the standings have been trending up for 5 years is encouraging.

I don't see any reason to panic or freak out, in a few years if our draft picks over the last 5 years have not broke through or become impact players then it's a different situation. Recent performance by Yzerman = good but not great, he hasnt mortgaged the future or our draft picks and assets as we enter the competitive window and the rest is TBD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad