Steve Spott Appreciation Thread

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Ex Marlies coach Eakins is doing really well in Edmonton.AHL does not= NHL.

As someone who came into the season as a big Eakins supporter and a Spott hater. The man has done everything possible to change my opinion. He is smart and tough and expects everything from his players. Looking back now I can say Eakins coached to win first and develop players second. Spott is the opposite. He is not afraid to scratch a vet for a rookie if he thinks its best for the players development. He also likes to take the long approach with his players, so don't expect Verhaeghe, Brown, Gauthier, Rupert, etc. to just step into the top 6. He makes his players earn their spots and is very realistic on NHL expectations. He has his prospects play the same role in the AHL as the NHL to make for an easier transition.

He also isn't afraid to admit he was wrong. At the beginning of the season he thought Carrick would be an AHL player / 4th liner in the NHL. In his interview last night, he mention that Carrick has surprised him and with how well his skating along with other things have improved he could easily be a top 9, even top 6 player ONE DAY (not now).

mikebel111*

Yup definitely. The state of the marlies is like a complete 180 degree turn from the state of the leafs. Its particularly weird for two teams that arguably enforce the same type of system.

Its very similar the system they run. Except the forwards arent in as deep under spott IMO. there is also more movement on the PP which i have seen

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ask the Ranger fans about Spott's coaching. Took the character right out of the building with his soft no hitting approach. He refused to have any player with sand paper and shied away from having an enforcer. Players took unwarranted beatings and the team mates looked the other way because they knew Spott would throw them under the bus.

That speaks volume to how he can adapt his coaching style to the players he has and probably what is expected of him.

He will give praise to the players that deserve it, be tough on the players that deserve it and also seems to have an idea how to change up his style and lines to be able to adapt to different scenarios.

That is something Carlyle has completely failed to do in every aspect. Carlyle could say the right things but couldn't even convey that to the players. When you spend around 15-30 minutes huddled around the white board in practice to instruct players and teaching what you want to see screams having no clue what you are doing... and this is with around 10 games left in the season. Jesus H Christ...

Last edited:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Abbott gets no respect...

People talk about the Marlies like they have no skill up front. Actually they have one of the best play making forwards in the league in Abbott. He doesn't seem to get much love but he should have been one of the regular callups instead of Damigo.

Everyone ignores him IMO because he is obviously not an RC player. That is why RC needs to go. Too many potentially useful players not being utilized or flat run out of town.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
Just goes to show you the difference in perspective that can be gained from looking at Spott in a non-WJHC perspective.

When the Leafs/Marlies hired Spott, he was touted as a developmental-type coach, and he has been just that. He's been handed a young AHL roster, but has not been afraid to test their abilities, without just solely relying on AHL vets.

Not to mention there's no Hockey Canada roster politicking, short training camps/introduction phase, or single-elimination games to factor in.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Difference between Spott calling out his players and Carlyle is that if Carlyle does it HF boards recieves a 17 page thread, it's in the newspapers, it's all the player(s) are asked about during interviews, and it's all the TSN/Sportsnet panel talks about pre games for a week.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He surprised me, I thought he wasn't ready.

Whether touted or not as a developmental coach he certainly wasn't in Kitchener. Played only the top lines and either sat the young guys or scratched them. Usually they asked for trades and became top line kids on other squads. He also threw anyone who made a mistake under the bus on the post game after he was severely out coached. He emptied the cupboard of draft picks for years to come in his haste to make a name for himself to get to the pros. Move him up at your own peril.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
People talk about the Marlies like they have no skill up front. Actually they have one of the best play making forwards in the league in Abbott. He doesn't seem to get much love but he should have been one of the regular callups instead of Damigo.

Everyone ignores him IMO because he is obviously not an RC player. That is why RC needs to go. Too many potentially useful players not being utilized or flat run out of town.

He gets knocked off the puck easily and gives away the puck quite a bit. Kinda like Kadri. His playmaking is excellent, but I don't know how succesful he'll be able to produce at the NHL level. And if he doesn't produce, he's not of much use.

mikebel111*

Whether touted or not as a developmental coach he certainly wasn't in Kitchener. Played only the top lines and either sat the young guys or scratched them. Usually they asked for trades and became top line kids on other squads. He also threw anyone who made a mistake under the bus on the post game after he was severely out coached. He emptied the cupboard of draft picks for years to come in his haste to make a name for himself to get to the pros. Move him up at your own peril.

He has been totally different here with marlies and are glad to have him

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think it's fine to keep him with the Marlies. If they are having success and playing a good game that's hardly a bad thing. Nice to keep having a good system down there that hopefully will lead to guys on this team playing something good.

Still think it's best to keep the guy who painfully underused Rielly away from our top prospect.

mikebel111*

I was also upset at how rielly was used by spott. However, spott is a pretty big fan of rielly and has praised him as well.
Really he just over rated ryan murphy since he was his own player. Honestly i think the entire spott underusing rielly thing isnt that big of a deal

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I wasn't a fan of the way he handled Rielly at the WJHC (gave too much ice time to the hype guys like Hamilton etc) but he has done a great job for the Marlies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
He gets knocked off the puck easily and gives away the puck quite a bit. Kinda like Kadri. His playmaking is excellent, but I don't know how succesful he'll be able to produce at the NHL level. And if he doesn't produce, he's not of much use.

Actually he doesn't give away the puck and he is one the better defensive forwards on the marlies and is a +10. All his goals are from the dirty areas as he doesn't really have a cannon of a shot so he is not soft.

The guy could have helped the leafs this year. The marlies are not a fluke and this guy was one of the biggest contributors.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Actually he doesn't give away the puck and he is one the better defensive forwards on the marlies and is a +10. All his goals are from the dirty areas as he doesn't really have a cannon of a shot so he is not soft.

The guy could have helped the leafs this year. The marlies are not a fluke and this guy was one of the biggest contributors.

He does give away the puck. Not as much as Kadri did as a marlie, but still quite noticeably. As for being one of the better defensive forwards on the marlies...the marlies are a team with strong defensive forwards like Ryan, Carrick, Smith, Ashton, D'amigo, even Biggs and Ross are improving. Abbott has not reached that calibre defensively and there are only a few I'd put him ahead of. That +10 is more about his offensive contributions over his defensive contribution.

I'm positive the guy would not have helped the leafs this year. Offense and creativity was not the leafs problem, it was the lack of commitment to the defensive end, the maintenance of puck possession and aggression as well as the lack of leadership and character.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bring him up in some capacity...And bring up Brennan while we're at it: A D that actually shoots accurately and often.

But, but, but, that's not a Leafs thing. :shakehead Missing the net, or hitting and injuring our own players is our way. :nod: Just ask Phaneuf! :nod:

:p: :cry:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I was also upset at how rielly was used by spott. However, spott is a pretty big fan of rielly and has praised him as well.
Really he just over rated ryan murphy since he was his own player. Honestly i think the entire spott underusing rielly thing isnt that big of a deal

Not winning a GOLD medal isn't that big of a deal either! :sarcasm:

FoolInTheRain

Oct 6, 2007
Let's give him some more years before we judge.

When Spott took over the Kitchener Rangers, the 2008 - 2009 team (his first team as head coach) really exceeded all of our expectations, Ranger fans were calling him the next great coach! Fast forward to last year and we couldn't get him out fast enough - Good Riddance!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I didn't think he'd be a good hire, so good on him, but the same time MLSE has had more success bringing in tweener AHLers and having success than actually developing NHL talent. The Marlies lost to Norfolk two years ago, the Lightning benefitted from their farm this year but we got nothing out of the AHL. A few years ago they went on a run but the prospects we were developing in Pogge was benched in favor of Scott Clemensen. Until they actually start developing quality Leafs the Marlies are just a mirage.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
To his credit he's had some adversity (wjc, rangers at the end) and appears to be better for it. Those could all be learning curves along the road. A coach that learns from mistakes and adapts along the way. Refreshing.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He does give away the puck. Not as much as Kadri did as a marlie, but still quite noticeably. As for being one of the better defensive forwards on the marlies...the marlies are a team with strong defensive forwards like Ryan, Carrick, Smith, Ashton, D'amigo, even Biggs and Ross are improving. Abbott has not reached that calibre defensively and there are only a few I'd put him ahead of. That +10 is more about his offensive contributions over his defensive contribution.

I'm positive the guy would not have helped the leafs this year. Offense and creativity was not the leafs problem, it was the lack of commitment to the defensive end, the maintenance of puck possession and aggression as well as the lack of leadership and character.

That happens with players. They improve. But lets give the coach the credit for being better while we torch this one for being worse. Right? This guy would be a mess in the NHL right now. Worse than Carlyle is and he needs to be fired.

mikebel111*

That happens with players. They improve. But lets give the coach the credit for being better while we torch this one for being worse. Right? This guy would be a mess in the NHL right now. Worse than Carlyle is and he needs to be fired.
He deserves credit in the sense that he handled this young team really well. His on ice and off ice stuff is also really solid
BTW. When u said he needs to fired, who did u mean?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad