Confirmed with Link: Steve Mears to replace Jeff Rimer as CBJ TV Play by Play Voice

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Here’s a whole game highlight (you also get to watch us get blasted by Pittsburgh) with his calls. One game but he seems fine to me. I remember him doing some world juniors games as well.

I liked him during the run of play, but not on the goal calls (his "scooorrres" is wavering and inconsistent).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I liked him during the run of play, but not on the goal calls (his "scooorrres" is wavering and inconsistent).
I agree with you. But, judging from his twitter feed today he has some sort of attachment/fanhood to the team. Maybe if he’s more invested personally the goal calls will improve?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with you. But, judging from his twitter feed today he has some sort of attachment/fanhood to the team. Maybe if he’s more invested personally the goal calls will improve?

If he wants to improve them he should work with a singing/voice coach.

It's true that my goal calls for the Pens would also sound weird and half-hearted.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
a179ac1c94cccf0bcdfa60e72ba04cb0.jpg

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Do we know where he’s originally from? He went to BGSU and went to a CBJ game while a student there during the inaugural season, but he could be from anywhere.

Even if he’s from Cbus area/Ohio, the CBJ obviously wouldn’t be his boyhood favorite team and then he’s presumably moved around a lot of places/covered a fair number of teams (including in the CHL as his resume notes) during his broadcasting career, so just wondering how “strong” the attachment actually is. Not that it really matters much or that he won’t be a “fan” now (at an appropriate level, of course).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The funny

Do we know where he’s originally from? He went to BGSU and went to a CBJ game while a student there during the inaugural season, but he could be from anywhere.

Even if he’s from Cbus area/Ohio, the CBJ obviously wouldn’t be his boyhood favorite team, so just wondering how “strong” the attachment actually is. Not that it really matters much or that he won’t be a “fan” now (at an appropriate level, of course).
Were the Jackets your childhood team?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Were the Jackets your childhood team?
I’m 32, so yes. Went to the inaugural game when I was 8, parents had/still have season tickets. Haven’t lived in Ohio permanently since I was 18 but still rock the CBJ.

To be clear, I wasn’t saying at all he had to be. Whether you liked them as announcers or not, Rimer, George Matthews, McElligott, Davidge… none were CBJ fans growing up and I don’t think any were originally from Ohio, but all had great enthusiasm for the CBJ and were great team ambassadors. I’m just curious where this notion that Mears has allegiance comes from other than he went to BGSU and went to one CBJ game when he was a student there. If he’s from Ohio then it makes more sense to push that.

Reactions: CBJx614

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

Even if he’s from Cbus area/Ohio, the CBJ obviously wouldn’t be his boyhood favorite team and then he’s presumably moved around a lot of places/covered a fair number of teams (including in the CHL as his resume notes) during his broadcasting career, so just wondering how “strong” the attachment actually is. Not that it really matters much or that he won’t be a “fan” now (at an appropriate level, of course).
He's from Murrysville, Pennsylvania. It is part of metro Pittsburgh.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
He's from Murrysville, Pennsylvania. It is part of metro Pittsburgh.
Probably started out a Penguins fan. We know those folks only come to no good.

EDIT:
And also could never become a CBJ fan.
Ok, thanks. So presumably a Pens fan growing up, and my guess is he wouldn’t have applied for the CBJ job if he was still their TV guy rather than demoted to radio. As a refresher, the only reason this came up was because originally @CBJWerenski8 was wondering if maybe natural CBJ enthusiasm/allegiance might get more excitement out of his goal calls with us, since that seemed to be a Pens fan complaint, so I was wondering if he actually had a CBJ allegiance.

As I said on the last page, I think he has a good voice/tone/description and his OT winners sounded pretty good, but some of the normal goals appeared lacking in oomph, and it sounds like Pens fans agree.

Well, if he grew up a Pens fan, we probably shouldn’t expect that goal enthusiasm to change much with us, unless he’s aware of that feedback/working on it. But regardless, he seems very excited for the opportunity, seems like he overall calls a good game and still has times where you can hear the enthusiasm in the really big moments. I’m sure he’ll do fine.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I mean I'm 47 so it is impossible for me to be a boyhood CBJ fan and that is why my first team was the NJ Devils when I started watching hockey in HS.

That being said, I've supported this team from day 1 and still follow the Devils to a lesser extent. It's hard because I don't live in NJ and I can be at NW Arena in 15 minutes from my house but I feel strong connections to both teams. I feel more connected to the CBJ because I'm here.

It's pretty fair to say that he grew up a Penguins fan but it can't mean he doesn't have connections to the CBJ that will obviously be rekindled deeper because he is now here locally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad