Post-Game Talk: Steelcroft: (Not) Far From Home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That was TMac knowing the oilers have major troubles against back up goalies IMO

Tmac the brain surgeon. Do Kings fans ever hate him over there. They can't wait for him to be gone, and his usage of their young stars is abysmal. people forget that McLellan is more of a vet guy than Tippett is and that Mclellan nearly railroaded the careers of guys like Pulju. Kings could dress half a dozen faster players than they had in the lineup last night, and have, almost accidentally. But now Mclellan reverted to the Brown and broken bones lineup. People would be surprised at the pace of that club when they have the right lineup out. Brown should retire. he's got everything out of that body.

Reactions: oobga

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Imagine we keep Tippett whole season and some other team signs Woodcroft after firing their head coach and it leaves us with another dinosaur in off season. How that would feel?
Is the dinosaur a tyrannosaur or is it a stegosaurus?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
In a nicer vein. Doughty and the Kings don't seem to have a lot of animosity for the Oilers. A Kings vs Oilers game is very much different than a Kings Flames game and they HATE the flames. A mutual hate. For a game of playoff import this wasn't a hateful affair.

Doughty pregame comments and apologizing to the Oilers for making them wait through his ceremony was funny as well as his good natured interactions with Smith, who he respects. I like Doughty. One of those players you feel you'd want to have a Beer with. Just like how he's able to joke around and give some gears on the ice. He likes when people give him some back too. Just makes the game more fun imo.

I honestly think the Oilers, had they gone to the Olympics would king of bond with a guy like that and learn a few things. He almost seems to like the Oilers a bit and our stars. I mean he's nicer to our players than most teams. I felt the game was mostly an honest affair. Some hitting, the Brown thing was stupid but he's just an idiot sometimes.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Heard a lot of weird stats and such past couple days, but with 50 goals Nurse is 4th all time in goals scored by a d-man for the Oilers.

Evan Bouchard currently tied with Chris Pronger & Ryan Whitney with 12. Less games played than both.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Tmac the brain surgeon. Do Kings fans ever hate him over there. They can't wait for him to be gone, and his usage of their young stars is abysmal. people forget that McLellan is more of a vet guy than Tippett is and that Mclellan nearly railroaded the careers of guys like Pulju. Kings could dress half a dozen faster players than they had in the lineup last night, and have, almost accidentally. But now Mclellan reverted to the Brown and broken bones lineup. People would be surprised at the pace of that club when they have the right lineup out. Brown should retire. he's got everything out of that body.

The way he coached the game last night was kind of bizarre. Played the heaviest trap I've seen all season with only a 1-0 lead, but the moment the Kings amped up the pressure and actually forechecked the Oilers were on their heels. Then in the 3rd they were kind of half pregnant with what they wanted to do and lost.

Had he pushed for them to get the 2-0 goal they could have then reverted to the 1-4 defense and they probably would have won 2-0.

On another note - I'm really happy with how the Oilers stayed with it and ground through that second period and earned that tying goal. As recently as a week ago they would have gotten frustrated, complicated instead of simplified, and then fired a few bullets in their feet to lose by multiple goals. The second period would have definitely been frustrating to play in, but they just put their head down and worked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The way he coached the game last night was kind of bizarre. Played the heaviest trap I've seen all season with only a 1-0 lead, but the moment the Kings amped up the pressure and actually forechecked the Oilers were on their heels. Then in the 3rd they were kind of half pregnant with what they wanted to do and lost.

Had he pushed for them to get the 2-0 goal they could have then reverted to the 1-4 defense and they probably would have won 2-0.

On another note - I'm really happy with how the Oilers stayed with it and ground through that second period and earned that tying goal. As recently as a week ago they would have gotten frustrated, complicated instead of simplified, and then fired a few bullets in their feet to lose by multiple goals. The second period would have definitely been frustrating to play in, but they just put their head down and worked.

Nice to see as well that some of the Soldiers not often being on the end of deciding results, like RNH, and Yama, got big goals. Nuge particularly is pushing himself to be more the impact player he can be. Cerebrally some argument can be made Nuge is the best at mental assessment of the game. He thinks the game exceedingly well. But its why I've always thought he should be an allstar. Willing, he would be an excellent coach if he could become more vocal. He's got a real head for the game.

A regular question I ask is how many times Nuge is around determination of games. In recent weeks he's been involved in deciding results in a few games. Nuge might be more money this season than he's ever been. its also testament to him being the least impacted player coaching wise. Because he essentially is his own coach. Or can be. Nuge mentally is the player you expect most players to be able to be, if that makes any sense.

I also saw a key transition in Nuges performance when the team went to a 3 line format. But let it be said that was a Tippett decision. The moment we stocked the cupboard with Kane.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Imagine we keep Tippett whole season and some other team signs Woodcroft after firing their head coach and it leaves us with another dinosaur in off season. How that would feel?
The Dinosaur invocation is always somewhat funny as they were some of the most successfully adapted lifeforms, and for longer durations, than much of the life forms that have existed. With some remaining branches in birds and reptiles.

Ahh, the adaptive Dinosaur. Kind of much different then how we use it as symbol.

Dinosaurs would be laughing more at hominid life forms, if coexisted, before having us for dinner, at least the ones that were meat eater inclined.

food for thought

Reactions: Llamamoto

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Niemelainen is my 3LD given all available options. Keith bar none is our 2LD. Unless he has significant set backs from his injury there is no way that any of Lagesson, Russell or Broberg (at this point in time) can replace him.

I'm sorry, but what a load. Keith has had some struggles this year like everyone else on our blueline, but to single him out is certainly an odd take. Keith at best has been our 2nd best defenseman, anchoring the 2nd line. Lagesson at his best has been a competent 5/6. Niemelainen at his best has been a bruising, game changing #5. Neither have the appropriate skill set to replace what Keith does out there, nor do they have the experience. Keith's play should have proven the naysayers wrong about him. He's not this awful bottom pairing defeneseman like everyone thought.

The one thing that is great, is the emergence of both Lagesson and Niemelainen as legitimate bottom pair options on the LD. If we're heading into the post season with Nurse-Keith-Niemeilainen as our left side, I'm a lot happier than I was a few months ago when we had Koekoek in there.

We’ve outscored the opposition 5 on 5 with Keith. Not the case with Ceci who has played similar minutes. If your suggesting playing lagesson or Niem in the top 4 the rest of the season I’m not sure what to say. It’s just a disservice to both the player and the team.

You probably have some vendetta against the trade your clinging too but join us in reality at some point and look at the actual results with Keith on the ice.

Broberg is not a weak link lol. The only weak link I've seen is Shore

Not sure if anyone happened to notice but... Keith ain't playing right now. Ergo, at this point in time we are unequivocally proving we do not need Keith as our #4 or otherwise. He is gone for at least another 5 games and likely longer as well.

Keith has not been our second best defenseman. That's a joke right? Ceci has been the better of the two and I put Bouchard ahead as well.

But for clarity Im not saying Keith has played poorly. He has made mistakes but has been keeping his head above water with Ceci anchoring that pairing. Just that with the way our depth AHL guys are playing in Woodies system, we probably wont need him whenever/if he comes back from his concussions.

Broberg has been the weakest of our defensemen to date but has had some good moments. I'm actually suggesting we keep him over Keith/KK/whoever to get him used to the NHL. I think Broberg can get some valuable experience as a heavily sheltered #7. Certainly more worth while getting a young guy like Broberg some nice sheltered minutes than paying 5.5 in cap space for Keith just to be somewhat better than Lags and Niem have looked so far under Woody. Again, small sample size but after the next 5 games we might have a much better sense of whether we need/want Keith or not.

Keith has played fine for the depth role he is playing. But that trade and his cap hit is terrribulllllllll. Assuming Holland can avoid being an idiot the cap space we save from moving on from Keith is incredibly valuable.

I know its a pipe dream but getting ride of Keith and bringing in Chychrun is just so much better. Or moving out Keith and getting a great goalie next year... or... damn near anything but over paying for a #4 ancient defenseman, who is unlikely even to play a significant amount of time due to injuries anyways.

gogoth

Feb 16, 2022
Not sure if anyone happened to notice but... Keith ain't playing right now. Ergo, at this point in time we are unequivocally proving we do not need Keith as our #4 or otherwise. He is gone for at least another 5 games and likely longer as well.

Keith has not been our second best defenseman. That's a joke right? Ceci has been the better of the two and I put Bouchard ahead as well.

But for clarity Im not saying Keith has played poorly. He has made mistakes but has been keeping his head above water with Ceci anchoring that pairing. Just that with the way our depth AHL guys are playing in Woodies system, we probably wont need him whenever/if he comes back from his concussions.

Broberg has been the weakest of our defensemen to date but has had some good moments. I'm actually suggesting we keep him over Keith/KK/whoever to get him used to the NHL. I think Broberg can get some valuable experience as a heavily sheltered #7. Certainly more worth while getting a young guy like Broberg some nice sheltered minutes than paying 5.5 in cap space for Keith just to be somewhat better than Lags and Niem have looked so far under Woody. Again, small sample size but after the next 5 games we might have a much better sense of whether we need/want Keith or not.

Keith has played fine for the depth role he is playing. But that trade and his cap hit is terrribulllllllll. Assuming Holland can avoid being an idiot the cap space we save from moving on from Keith is incredibly valuable.

I know its a pipe dream but getting ride of Keith and bringing in Chychrun is just so much better. Or moving out Keith and getting a great goalie next year... or... damn near anything but over paying for a #4 ancient defenseman, who is unlikely even to play a significant amount of time due to injuries anyways.
Excuse me bit Keith been laying great and that trade is awsome. Also ken holland is not an idiot.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Gotta say I was very pleased to see the Kings starting to sit back and try to sit on a 1 goal lead...in the 2nd period! lol, that brings back memories. Also the ringing around the boards, saw the Kings doing lots of that.

Keep that job McLellan, as long as you can.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Keith hasn’t been playing a depth role first off. He’s been playing a tough minute second pair role and averaged over 20 minutes a night. We outscore the opponent with him on the ice 5 on 5 by the way we do not with Ceci playing a similar role. The patchwork we have going right now works because the 2LD and 3LD minutes are basically being split equally between 3 guys all playing about 13 minutes a night. We aren’t going to roll with this 7D set up all year it’s out necessity because of the gaping hole left by Keith. I really don’t see an argument how Broberg would be better off as a 7D over playing huge minutes in all situations in the AHL. Just doesn’t make any sense what so ever.

Pretty clear you have vendetta and don’t really know what your talking about in regards to D men.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Gotta say I was very pleased to see the Kings starting to sit back and try to sit on a 1 goal lead...in the 2nd period! lol, that brings back memories. Also the ringing around the boards, saw the Kings doing lots of that.

Keep that job McLellan, as long as you can.

The one quote over there that was special; "Well we do have Mclellan to thank for the 2014 SC."

Mclellan, the gift that keeps giving, for opponents..

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and oobga

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Sounds rough man, hope you guys are ok staying up late on vacation in the Caribbean...
giphy.gif
Oh yeah, it’s a tough life. Up at 3 am Edmonton time to hit the links by 4:30, and pretty much in bed by 8. We eat supper earlier than a retiree in Arizona.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Keith hasn’t been playing a depth role first off. He’s been playing a tough minute second pair role and averaged over 20 minutes a night. We outscore the opponent with him on the ice 5 on 5 by the way we do not with Ceci playing a similar role. The patchwork we have going right now works because the 2LD and 3LD minutes are basically being split equally between 3 guys all playing about 13 minutes a night. We aren’t going to roll with this 7D set up all year it’s out necessity because of the gaping hole left by Keith. I really don’t see an argument how Broberg would be better off as a 7D over playing huge minutes in all situations in the AHL. Just doesn’t make any sense what so ever.

Pretty clear you have vendetta and don’t really know what your talking about in regards to D men.

You do know that for the vast majority of the season Keith and Ceci have been playing together 5v5 right?

Broberg needs north american experience. AHL provides more but NHL provides better but either works. While the AHL is the third best league in the world IMO its still comparable in quality to the SHL. The current heavily sheltered #7th D-man is perfect for Broberg. Even a standard #6 role has proven a bit of a challenge for him so this current situation is great.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Big win! Credit to Smith with huge saves at the end and Barrie with the poke check getting the puck away from Doughty(?) for a sure tying goal.

Nuge solid. Like I said all year, his best season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You do know that for the vast majority of the season Keith and Ceci have been playing together 5v5 right?

Broberg needs north american experience. AHL provides more but NHL provides better but either works. While the AHL is the third best league in the world IMO its still comparable in quality to the SHL. The current heavily sheltered #7th D-man is perfect for Broberg. Even a standard #6 role has proven a bit of a challenge for him so this current situation is great.
Just take a step back and think using logic and reason what your suggesting. Your suggesting a playoff team remove an nhl top 4 D man in the midst of a playoff race from our roster.

We’re buyers. We should be looking to add another Duncan Keith not trade the one we have.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just take a step back and think using logic and reason what your suggesting. Your suggesting a playoff team remove an nhl top 4 D man in the midst of a playoff race from our roster.

We’re buyers. We should be looking to add another Duncan Keith not trade the one we have.

I agree but just think we could do better. I know its nothing but a pipe dream but with what is out there available moving out Keith and bringing in someone better is absolutely possible.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree but just think we could do better. I know its nothing but a pipe dream but with what is out there available moving out Keith and bringing in someone better is absolutely possible.
One more the most unrealistic roster moves I’ve seen suggested. I mean it would probably be more realistic to upgrade on Nuge or upgrade on nurse.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
When Keith returns he needs to be paired with one of Barrie or Bouchard ...Nurse-Ceci pairing should stay

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To think that it''s just a lucky coincidence that we got Woodcroft.

If Holland made the change in summer, guarantee it's some dinosaur that likely has no idea how to coach in 2020s NHL.
I don’t think so. Holland has a history of promoting his minor league coaches. He hired Tippett, a veteran coach, because the Oilers didn’t have anybody ready in the system when he took over. 2 and a half seasons later, Woodcroft had proven in Bakersfield that he was worthy of a look. I think there were promises made to Woodcroft by Oilers brass when McClellan was fired that if he took the Bakersfield job he’d get a shot down the road at the Oilers job. The team could have easily let him go at the same time as McClellan and he could have easily walked away too. Keeping him in the organization wasn’t really a popular move back then.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Team was good under Tippett for two seasons. They weren't good enough this season.

I didn't say that verbatim. Maybe something you construed in those lines. I'm still not convinced that this roster will have the compete and drive and team concept to do all it takes to get through a playoff round. lots of work left.

3 games here doesn't mean anything other than coaching bump so far. WE've played a couple teams that aren't scoring much. Need more time to assess.

Coaching isn't linear. You don't just get endless increased results. Few coaches do. Most have shelf lives. It took one year for this team to suck under McLellan. It took months or weeks for it to suck under other coaches like Eakins and Hitch. Tippett had this team at least playing playoff bound hockey for two complete seasons. Thats not "horrible"
Was the team really good under Tippett for two seasons? I’ve got no trouble saying they were good before COVID hit but I’m not buying they were good after. They were horrible in the play in and I’m really not sure what to make exactly out of last years shortened season. I think the conditions of last season where they exclusively played in one division made figuring out what they really were impossible. What we do know is they got swept against the Jets. This season, even after a hot start, it became clear in December that whatever they were doing wasn’t working anymore.

Who knows why things fell apart, but they did and I don’t think it just happened in January. To me, things haven’t been running smoothly with Tippett since the COVID break ended. Perhaps you’ve forgotten, but we had the conversation last season about whether Tippett even wanted to be here coaching in the COVID world. There were so many more things to worry about than in the past. He never seemed to me, that he was able to adjust to those changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad