Post-Game Talk: Steelcroft: (Not) Far From Home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Is it on the Oilers site. I'll take a look. You're just as inclined as me to look at things certains ways so I'll derive my own opinion. Look, I know Tippett was done. It was time to hang it up. But I'm the same age as the guy, so I kinda feel for him. He's a decent man. Theres worse people still in management in this org.
I am with you Tippett . He is a good coach . He came in here and got us to the playoffs 2 years in a row . He just isn't a fit at this point in time . People call him shit and other thing are just piling on a good man for the sake of it .

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I know it's a small sample size, but one slightly concerning trend is Draisaitl's play under Woodcroft's system. I wonder if he's the type of player that dislikes structure or that takes longer to adjust because many of his plays seem automatic or habitual, such as the one-timer on the PP or the backhanded passes. Now that he has to take the time to adjust his play style, think critically, and develop new habits, it may mean a relatively longer learning curve.

I know its been mentioned that personal player points don't matter as long as the team's winning and I largely agree; however, 1) McDavid has started to show signs of accelerating his point production, which means that the same effect SHOULD happen to Draisaitl and 2) the team needs Draisaitl to contribute offensively in order to have sustained success. It's been great to win without one of your major stars contributing, but at some point, they'll need him to step up his production again, especially to make and have some success in the playoffs.

Again, I can't say if he's just taking an extra long time to adjust to Woody's system or if this is just a continuation of the prolonged doldrums he's been experiencing since December. Last year, when he went through this same problem, it only lasted 1 month to 6 weeks at the most, but now it's going on 3 months, which, at this point, is a bit of a concern. Hopefully these concerns are premature but something to keep an eye on. Woodcroft seems like a great communicator, so perhaps he'll make some headway with this issue.

Reactions: oilers'72

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
holy crap. What a heater, lol.

people have told me though that anything under 1like/post is unacceptable..heh

you post on the mains a lot? I wouldn'ave have imagined you have 46K posts.

I mean, some GDTs it’s easy to rack up 50+ posts if you include the PGT.

I enjoy writing and I love hockey with a childlike zeal like most of the regulars, so it somewhat makes sense lol

I post a lot in the HFFootball and HFInternational sub as well during the WJC and WHC, they add up fast over 7 years or whatever.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, we are going to get bitten on a few "dumb Kane penalties" this year, but that just comes with the territory for a player like him. If you want that element on your team, and I would argue we do, those penalties are just par for the course sometimes.
Similar to Smith handling the puck. It adds so much to our game, but will come with the odd hiccup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean, some GDTs it’s easy to rack up 50+ posts if you include the PGT.

I enjoy writing and I love hockey with a childlike zeal like most of the regulars, so it somewhat makes sense lol

I post a lot in the HFFootball and HFInternational sub as well during the WJC and WHC, they add up fast over 7 years or whatever.

I still love writing too. Used to write clinical reports all the time, now just hockey mostly. In retirement just a way to stay sharp on the keyboard, maybe think a little, could really use an end to the covid and things getting back to some kind of normal.

cheers

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Imagine if Holland did it back in January when we had 2 games in 2 weeks!

It's tough to say for sure. In some ways having little practice time might actually be helping Jay focus in on a couple key items instead of overhauling and they get an opportunity to immediately test these items. We also get the benefit of using momentum as the games are coming fast and furious.

Maybe if they had a week of practice he tackles too much at once and confuses them and they have too much time between games to carry any of that momentum. The final result of Holland's decision on timing is that Edmonton has gone 8-2-1 over the last 11 games. Can we honestly say Jay would have done even better than that? If you mean going back to the Toronto game, Edmonton has gone 8-4-1 over that stretch. Again, can we confidently say Jay would have been even better than a .650 percentage over that stretch?

Another thing over that specific timeframe, the Oilers surrendered a grand total of 3 points to any of the teams they are directly competing with for playoff positioning (2 if you exclude Vancouver, or 4 if you include Nashville). Over 13 games, that's pretty good.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seen it before. As we've stated this team drags you in, and pushes you away. I need more time. To me this is the same club that just got a coach fired a week ago, again. So its going to take some time. tbh lately I'm finding the team aggravating, and by lately I mean the last few months of play. I think I'm getting too old for every game to be a nail biter. Maybe I just pvr the games and just watch knowing the result. Or not watching. Might be more enjoyable.

Completely fair position to take, I've been sucked in and then gone apathetic all too often this season as well but something about Woodcroft just feels... real and genuine. Like he knows what he's doing.

It could be a coaching bump but I've never seen this team attack the puck carrier like this while also maintaining structure unlike the previous "swarm" technique of Eakins which was more chaotic.
I don't know how long the players will buy in but I'm loving this new style of play, I think it's tailor made for competing in the playoffs. I also love that this is a young, enthusiastic coach that can connect with todays' player and who also puts somewhat of an emphasis on analytics. The Oilers have needed a new age coach for the longest time and I don't know if this will work but I like that this coach takes a different approach from the "old establishment".

Just 3 games in but I can understand why some might feel that it's "different" this time but I can also understand why some, like yourself, has reservations that this time will be different. All I can say is lets just take it game by game and see where it goes. Lets not look behind anymore and lets not look forward too far.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Completely fair position to take, I've been sucked in and then gone apathetic all too often this season as well but something about Woodcroft just feels... real and genuine. Like he knows what he's doing.

It could be a coaching bump but I've never seen this team attack the puck carrier like they never have while also maintaining structure unlike the previous "swarm" technique of Eakins which was more chaotic.
I don't know how long the players will buy in but I'm loving this new style of play, I think it's tailor made for competing in the playoffs. I also love that this is a young, enthusiastic coach that can connect with todays' player and who also puts somewhat of an emphasis on analytics. The Oilers have needed a new age coach for the longest time and I don't know if this will work but I like that this coach takes a different approach from the "old establishment".

Just 3 games in but I can understand why some might feel that it's "different" this time but I can also understand why some, like yourself, has reservations that this time will be different. All I can say is lets just take game by game and see where it goes. Lets not look behind anymore and lets not look forward too far.

Thanks. In my better times I'm able to say just enjoy the journey, just enjoy the games. Last two weeks though I've had vicious physical pain through my lower disc problems and constant I mean constant pain from arthritis to Sciatica pain which I wouldn't wish on anybody. Slept one hour last night. just couldn't sleep and no position being comfortable. Tried everything, do all the physio rehab. It gets to a point where nothing works. Trying to treat without painkillers and steroidal injections. I probably live in the wrong climate for all this. lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good solid win. I don't think the Kings are all that talented though. But I'll tell you this - I don't think I've seen a team this year that works harder and plays more intense. TMac has them playing way above their paygrade.
As for the PP, it remains a work in progress. When you've gone from having basically only one play (McDavid over to Draisaitl for the one timer) to teams shutting it down, they are going to need to come up with some other patterns. And their lack of shooting the puck is concerning.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am with you Tippett . He is a good coach . He came in here and got us to the playoffs 2 years in a row . He just isn't a fit at this point in time . People call him shit and other thing are just piling on a good man for the sake of it .
Tippett seems to be good enough to come up with a strategy for the club. The problem was once teams adjusted to us he didn't adjust. Which is weird for a guy that spent so much time watching film during the off-season. Then again if he wasn't spending as much time during the year doing this, then it makes sense to why he didn't adjust. Not like McLellan was any different. Not sure why some coaches just refuse to change up, is it because they are afraid to tell their players that their plan was wrong?

The PP is one that I hope Woodcroft can fix quickly. It's been talked about a ton, they need to get more shots from the point. Until they start doing this those cross ice one-time passes that were working so well early on won't be there.

Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks. In my better times I'm able to say just enjoy the journey, just enjoy the games. Last two weeks though I've had vicious physical pain through my lower disc problems and constant I mean constant pain from arthritis to Sciatica pain which I wouldn't wish on anybody. Slept one hour last night. just couldn't sleep and no position being comfortable. Tried everything, do all the physio rehab. It gets to a point where nothing works. Trying to treat without painkillers and steroidal injections. I probably live in the wrong climate for all this. lol
Feel for your pain. I've been waiting a year and a half for my hip replacement surgery and it looks like it's going to happen next month, thank Krist. But in the meantime, I've been eating pain killers like candy, just to be able to function every day. Would love to just go out for a little walk, but have difficulty just walking 10 steps at this point. As a result of the pain killers, my blood is very thin, and I bruise easily. My arms look like those old people in the assisted living homes with all the red blotches.
Sorry to move the thread, back to your regular viewing now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was really impressed with Broberg. Made some boobs, but overall, great skating moves him out of trouble, and that long stick that both he and Nemo have break up a lot of plays before they even get to them. He seems to be getting better and better.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not really talked about all that much, but quite the statement for the Kings to play Pederson after a two week layoff. Quick has been their start this year and seemed a bit odd.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yeesh, that's rough. Part of that might be due to the cold weather like you said.

I'm a good deal younger than you (although not so young anymore) and I'm probably in the best shape of my life but I've also had some aches and pains the last few weeks, aches and pains that I rarely get. Woke up with intense neck pain early last week and have this pain that comes and go a little lower than my right shoulder possibly originating from a workout (upper bicep area) that flared up at the same time which tends to happen in the winter months the rare time it does so I feel your pain, although you're definitely going through a tougher time than me. I guess the best I can say is try to take it in stride and not let in affect your mood, at least for the sake of your wife and HFOil ;)

In any event, I hope you feel better. At least the Oilers are more tolerable to watch so, small victory there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Feel for your pain. I've been waiting a year and a half for my hip replacement surgery and it looks like it's going to happen next month, thank Krist. But in the meantime, I've been eating pain killers like candy, just to be able to function every day. Would love to just go out for a little walk, but have difficulty just walking 10 steps at this point. As a result of the pain killers, my blood is very thin, and I bruise easily. My arms look like those old people in the assisted living homes with all the red blotches.
Sorry to move the thread, back to your regular viewing now.

Crap, sorry to hear it been so long. Pm if you ever want to man. Hope everything turns out OK. fwiw I dislocated my knee a few years ago. It was because of my back. Nerve compressed, bang, the compressed nerve and Sciatic Nerve can f*** up the knee as well. Can't say its easy. Been years of rehab, I suspect that will be with you as well but cheers to mobility and walking again.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I know it's a small sample size, but one slightly concerning trend is Draisaitl's play under Woodcroft's system. I wonder if he's the type of player that dislikes structure or that takes longer to adjust because many of his plays seem automatic or habitual, such as the one-timer on the PP or the backhanded passes. Now that he has to take the time to adjust his play style, think critically, and develop new habits, it may mean a relatively longer learning curve.

I know its been mentioned that personal player points don't matter as long as the team's winning and I largely agree; however, 1) McDavid has started to show signs of accelerating his point production, which means that the same effect SHOULD happen to Draisaitl and 2) the team needs Draisaitl to contribute offensively in order to have sustained success. It's been great to win without one of your major stars contributing, but at some point, they'll need him to step up his production again, especially to make and have some success in the playoffs.

Again, I can't say if he's just taking an extra long time to adjust to Woody's system or if this is just a continuation of the prolonged doldrums he's been experiencing since December. Last year, when he went through this same problem, it only lasted 1 month to 6 weeks at the most, but now it's going on 3 months, which, at this point, is a bit of a concern. Hopefully these concerns are premature but something to keep an eye on. Woodcroft seems like a great communicator, so perhaps he'll make some headway with this issue.

I thought Drai played one of his best games of the season vs SJ and he set up the GWG last night..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeesh, that's rough. Part of that might be due to the cold weather like you said.

I'm a good deal younger than you (although not so young anymore) and I'm probably in the best shape of my life but I've also had some aches and pains the last few weeks, aches and pains that I rarely get. Woke up with intense neck pain early last week and have this pain that comes and go a little lower than my right shoulder (upper bicep area) that flared up at the same time usually in the winter months so I feel your pain, although you're definitely going through a tougher time than me. I guess the best I can say is try to take it in stride and not let in affect your mood, at least for the sake of your wife and HFOil ;)

In any event, I hope you feel better. At least the Oilers are more tolerable to watch so, small victory there.

We should start a thread for this sort of thing. haha. I'm sure the younger folk are all cringey. Better than creaky..

As per your pain I used to work out a lot and with free weights as well as circuits.

A couple things it could be;

Take Magnesium Citrate. Daily. Cramps, flare ups, muscles ceasing are largely solved with this. Most athletic people that are over 40 should take it. jmo but that of some Doctors as well. You probably pulled something or overworked a muscle group and its letting you know. But some people are susceptible if cold or wind got to you too much and my Dad was like that. Had back problems and had to be careful not to get any draft or chill in his back area.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was really impressed with Broberg. Made some boobs, but overall, great skating moves him out of trouble, and that long stick that both he and Nemo have break up a lot of plays before they even get to them. He seems to be getting better and better.
He's an interesting guy when you think about it. First off there really isn't much expectations out of him right now. When he first came up there was a lot of talk after a couple of games of him being an everyday NHLer and some even said top 4.

But now he's in a situation where they really aren't relying on these young guys to make a massive impact by themselves. Even Bouchard has had his minutes cut so that he can gain his confidence back. Running the 7 d-men is really going to allow for those growing pains. Stauffer and someone talked about how Bouchard could've really used this type of development last year, but the coaching staff just didn't provide it. Considering the makeup of the defense right now it's quite amazing that we can actually be developing guys at the NHL level, and not just one guy either

I'd also had the familiarity he has with the coaching staff. He is working with a coaching staff that spent time in the AHL talking and working on things with players one on one. Which is fair as that's a development league and that's more of a focus for coaches down there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We should start a thread for this sort of thing. haha. I'm sure the younger folk are all cringey. Better than creaky..

As per your pain I used to work out a lot and with free weights as well as circuits.

A couple things it could be;

Take Magnesium Citrate. Daily. Cramps, flare ups, muscles ceasing are largely solved with this. Most athletic people that are over 40 should take it. jmo but that of some Doctors as well. You probably pulled something or overworked a muscle group and its letting you know. But some people are susceptible if cold or wind got to you too much and my Dad was like that. Had back problems and had to be careful not to get any draft or chill in his back area.

Yeah, that's probably it right there. It feels like a pulled muscle (I feel it sometimes when I pull my arm back) but it only flares up occasionally so I don't treat it and still do my daily workout routine but maybe I should switch it up a bit to give it a rest for a while. I'm barely in my 40s but I'm now learning that I need to pace myself more than I used to. Still adjusting to that.
Thanks for the advice though about the magnesium. I'll look into it.

So, how about that Woodcroft? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad