Steady decline in youth hockey participation in Canada raises concerns about the future of sport

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cost, and getting ice time in big cities. The game itself is fine, IMO, especially now that they have better equipment and are taking dangerous plays seriously.

Here in MN we don't have to travel far for decent competition, and it's still expensive. When i talk to hockey parents from NC, CA, or TX and hear/see what they go through...oof.

Hockey players mock soccer players a lot, but fail to take into account the fact that they have little to no padding. A clash of heads is as much, or more of a concussion concern that 99% of what goes on in hockey. In most minor hockey, head contact, hitting from behind, and fighting, is now dealt with very seriously. Even the junior leagues are far less dangerous than they used to be.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's like 99% the cost. It's just ridiculous. If your kid is really good it costs you over 10,000 dollars and up to 40, or 50,000 a year just for your kid to play.

Some smaller communities pick who you know over actual good players, too, so that's another reason why there's no point in putting your kid into hockey.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Read a study last week with numbers, that showed steady increase since Covid.

Also said U18 numbers are steady/flat not increasing or decreasing.

The over 18 number was where they saw some decrease, from before Covid. (But increasing since Covid).
Will need to see a few more years out yet.
Since has been going back up just not at pre Covid numbers yet.

Here’s a different article but doesn’t show the U18 part but currently
Around 2010 numbers

Here’s another one, but not the one I was looking for
This is 2021, breakdown by age groups, and provinces

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
In the big picture, it's not just the cost. It's the increasing knowledge of brain injuries and which sports are more susceptible to them.
Yeah combined with cost. Rich families tend to not have to rely on a dream that can jeopardize your health.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
The cost of everything in Canada is unbelievable. Not a lot of expendable income for Canadians anymore - especially in the GTA.

Housing, vehicles, groceries, cable/internet, general cost of living - everything has skyrocketed, well everything except wages/salaries. A lot of Canadians can’t be bothered anymore.

Hockey is a sliver spoon sport. It’s turned into Golf 2.0 when it used to be a very blue collar sport.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As a dad of a young son and young daughter I can tell you it’s not just hockey that has a problem. The professionalization of all youth sports and activities is out of control.

It breaks two directions but if your kid is somewhat talented you are kind of f***ed if they want to go “competitive”. They don’t even have to be talented in some activities for the cash grab.

My buddies daughter was good at fastball and got “monotracked” 10-12 thousand a year later (before parents travel) and 11 month a year commitment from when she was 13 on. My daughter is decent at Gymanastics but started late…..even then the grind is still on as she has gone up a few levels and now its 3 days a week x 4.5 hours per practice session and $5000 before travel. Don’t get me started on the for profit world of “Dance or Cheer”

Hockey you can put your kid in “house” and it’s generally about $1500 max plus equipment, one practice and one game per week.

There is no cheap sport if you are talented because they have found a way turn them all into for profit businesses. AAA hockey if you want to go full bells and whistles can get really pricy but so can any sport if your kid is good enough.

It’s all a problem but there are usually cheaper options if kids want to play for fun only.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Read a study last week with numbers, that showed steady increase since Covid.

Also said U18 numbers are steady/flat not increasing or decreasing.

The over 18 number was where they saw some decrease, from before Covid. (But increasing since Covid).
Will need to see a few more years out yet.
Since has been going back up just not at pre Covid numbers yet.

Here’s a different article but doesn’t show the U18 part
Around 2010 numbers

Here’s another one, but not the one I was looking for
This is 2021, breakdown by age groups, and provinces

Increasing numbers since Covid is meaningless because I assume all sports took a dip during Covid and recovered.

The issue is that as soon as you separate out girls/women, Canada has fewer players registered than they did 50 years ago and there are many more teams to stock.

It is tough to get a handle on due to the lack of data on registrations vs. academies and other factors at different times but the picture is not rosy by any means.

You can kind of tell by proxy with all the nepo babies in hockey right now.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It’s the culture of the sport more than cost . Soccer and basketball markets there stars while the nhl doubles down on a dress code.
I very much doubt this is why.

Youth participation comes down to what the parents want , not what kids think is cooler.

Costs of living are astronomical nowadays and even “upper middle class” people can barely afford basics, not to mention the insane time and effort investment it takes to take your kids from early age all the way to high level junior hockey

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Hockey is too expensive, but it can’t be just the cost.
How many kids play pond hockey these days? All one needs is a stick and skates.
I bet the numbers are a mere fraction compared to my youth. Too many other things for kids to do nowadays.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's just too expensive for the majority of families. I live part time in LA and part time in Vancouver and, no matter how much Californians complain about high taxes and cost of living, it doesn't compare to the madness of BC/Canada. I can't imagine that most families who don't make over 150k per year or higher can swing high-level youth hockey. Canada has gone off the rails in the last 10 years and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. It sucks be because it's robbing today's youth of a joy I took for granted playing hockey all my young life.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
When I was young, my parents told me they wouldn't put me into hockey because they didn't want to get up early on the weekends to have to take me to practice.

As an adult, I now realize we were just poor.

Hockey is too expensive, but it can’t be just the cost.
How many kids play pond hockey these days? All one needs is a stick and skates.
I bet the numbers are a mere fraction compared to my youth. Too many other things for kids to do nowadays.
How many kids now grow up in tract suburbia where you're lucky if there's a decent-sized park within a ten minute walk, let a lone a pond?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad