Stars retire Jere Lehtinen's No. 26

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
Selkes don't mean much. Bob Gainey won four of them. :laugh::laugh: And he's not a player I'd rank high on any list of best ever. Just like Lehtinen he was on a great team and was known for his defensive skills.

In the end, this is why not many people here will have a clue about who Lehtinen is, even if they followed hockey when the guy was playing.
Gainey is on HoF for worse stats in more games. Waiting Lehtinen's induction...

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Selkes don't mean much. Bob Gainey won four of them. :laugh::laugh: And he's not a player I'd rank high on any list of best ever. Just like Lehtinen he was on a great team and was known for his defensive skills.

In the end, this is why not many people here will have a clue about who Lehtinen is, even if they followed hockey when the guy was playing.

Spot on. He was carried by Modano & others and got gift wrapped a few trophies just because he had zero offensive talent. Next!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Also extremely ignorant comments. Not many players have his international resume. It is very strong, and made even more impressive by the fact that team Finland can only be considered as mediocre team at best, even below average on some years. Lehtinen was absolutely one of the most important drivers on those teams and a big reason for the team overachieving so many times.

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
Also extremely ignorant comments. Not many players have his international resume. It is very strong, and made even more impressive by the fact that team Finland can only be considered as mediocre team at best, even below average on some years. Lehtinen was absolutely one of the most important drivers on those teams and a big reason for the team overachieving so many times.
Exactly. He has actually an argument for the best international resume, ever, considering that he didn't play for one of the big boys.

Reactions: boyko10 and Se829ne

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
A player any coach would want in their team. One of the best Finns of all-time, and we've had some nice players aswell.

Congratulations Jere, well deserved and definitely overdue.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

Gainey is in the Hall of Fame. Nice example though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Selkes mean a lot. No amount of laughing smileys can change that. Gainey was a fantastic player in his own right. And he's in the Hall and far from the worst player there.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
500 points=retired, cmon now, you can honor the guy, but RETIRING?

I guess he played defense as a forward, so it's all good (lmao).

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
This thread shows the "class" of some posters here at forum. I pity them, it's sad that they even write here :eyeroll:

Lehtinen was very good player. Like Modano and co have said, maybe the most important player of the team at that time. I think Modano knows him and hockey much better than you so maybe its time you to just shut up and stop writing crap.

Reactions: vicprestige

serp

Jan 17, 2016
500 points=retired, cmon now, you can honor the guy, but RETIRING?

I guess he played defense as a forward, so it's all good (lmao).

The Trio of Modano , Lehtinen and Zubov is the reason the Stars had been contenders from the Mid/End 90's into the late 2000's . The second those three retired the team went to shit for years.

Lehtinens #26 absolutely deserves to be retired.

Anyone that watched the Stars in their heyday knows how important Jere was to the teams success.

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Jere Lehtinen is the last player ever to play the game to deserve some of the moronic crap in this thread. An absolutely fantastic and unique hockey player and the most humble guy you can imagine.

Congrats Jere, my hockey hero #1.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Lehtinen was a fine player and all but ... certainly not number-retirement quality on merit alone.

Of course the team can retire whatever the heck it wants.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
"I don't want to say the guy's the perfect player, but I found him to be the perfect team player. In other words, if you wanted things done right, then just watch him. And I found he's the only player since I've been in the NHL that I've never coached, like I never 'coached' him. I observed him, and I put him on the ice, and he played. But I never coached him. He coached himself. And he taught me more than I taught him." -Hitchcock.
Pretty remarkable compliment, especially for a known micro-manager in Hitchcock.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
"Of course a team can retire what it (presumably collectively) wants."

That's exactly why guys who would want see their jerseys out up the drafters with better stats...

Or "better" fan base.

Jere is backup'd by Dallas... And by Team Finland. HE WAS THAT BACK UP, You Morons! (Who ever identify to that)

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Love how there are endless praises from players he played with and coaches he played for, how he won three selkes as a winger (no winger has won a selke after him), was a huge part of Dallas' cup run and had a ppg of 50 points a season even though he was riddled with injuries as well as a fantastic international resume, but number shouldn't be retired because... Why? Because you've never heard about him?

Biggest amount of ignorant posts in thread I've seen and that's saying something.

Jere is the definition of underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad