Stars retire Jere Lehtinen's No. 26

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
No, you're just enforcing how underrated Lehtinen was.
Nobody really remembers him outside of old time fans although he had 3 Selke's as a winger.
Old time? Come on now. You're hurting my feelings.

I loved this guy when I was a kid. Mostly because I thought his name was fun to say, but I remember my father talking about how good he was defensively, which is how I learned that defense wasn't only for defensemen.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
One of the best defensive forwards in the game, always wanted him on my team. Always thought it was the biggest compliment you could give to an opposing player.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Old time? Come on now. You're hurting my feelings.

I loved this guy when I was a kid. Mostly because I thought his name was fun to say, but I remember my father talking about how good he was defensively, which is how I learned that defense wasn't only for defensemen.
You fossils need to be reminded that you are old :sarcasm:

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
"I don't want to say the guy's the perfect player, but I found him to be the perfect team player. In other words, if you wanted things done right, then just watch him. And I found he's the only player since I've been in the NHL that I've never coached, like I never 'coached' him. I observed him, and I put him on the ice, and he played. But I never coached him. He coached himself. And he taught me more than I taught him." -Hitchcock.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
"I don't want to say the guy's the perfect player, but I found him to be the perfect team player. In other words, if you wanted things done right, then just watch him. And I found he's the only player since I've been in the NHL that I've never coached, like I never 'coached' him. I observed him, and I put him on the ice, and he played. But I never coached him. He coached himself. And he taught me more than I taught him." -Hitchcock.

Considering how demanding Hitch has always been with players and very nitpicky, that quote speaks volumes about how Lehtinen was. I also enjoyed the quote from Nieuwendyk:

"Well, he was kind of that player that he became right from the get-go," Nieuwendyk said. "I think a lot of players evolve, but I think he was kind of start to finish that type of player. Just very responsible. Sneaky offensive skills, but a really reliable 200-foot player. That's the way he broke in. That's the way he exited."

Lehtinen was and always will be my favorite Dallas Star.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
Considering how demanding Hitch has always been with players and very nitpicky, that quote speaks volumes about how Lehtinen was. I also enjoyed the quote from Nieuwendyk:

"Well, he was kind of that player that he became right from the get-go," Nieuwendyk said. "I think a lot of players evolve, but I think he was kind of start to finish that type of player. Just very responsible. Sneaky offensive skills, but a really reliable 200-foot player. That's the way he broke in. That's the way he exited."

Lehtinen was and always will be my favorite Dallas Star.

Must have been SO annoying to play against Jere, and he had a great wrister as well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad