Proposal: Stars - Leafs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dallas is not going to take back that kind of salary for a player who should be making $ 4 million less than he currently makes.

and toronto isnt gonna take on a 4.5 million back up with term,who cant go on ltir..unless dallas gives us a significant asset.

time to lock this up

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Is Niemi Dallas' backup? Not the last time I checked. If Toronto wants to acquire Niemi to be their backup, they're asking Dallas to move their preferred starter (call it 1a/1b, whatever... Niemi is the better) for a terrible cap dump. If they don't want to add pick another backup. As others have mentioned, not sure why Toronto would want to pay so much for a back up, but don't expect Dallas to give up their best goalie for Lupul.

As a stars fan I would take Kari over Niemi any day of the week. Kari is way way way more talented just has mental breakdowns every now and again. Niemi, while he was more reliable than other backups we tried, we still noticeably worse than Kari in my eyes

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So many issues here. We will ignore the argument that Niemi is better than Lehtonen, the point of the deal is to free up a slot to get a starter like Fleury or Bishop.

Toronto just gave up a 1 year expensive backup goalie, they will not get a more expensive one at twice the term. It makes no sense unless Dallas is desperate enough to add a huge piece to take on the contract (think at least twice the cost Chicago paid).

Dallas then has to be ok with transferring the bad contract from goal to wing. There was no real advantage to them other than freeing up the goalie spot for a future trade.

All in all it comes down to would Dallas move a 1st round pick or top prospect like Honka (or more) to dump the goalie just so they can pay top price to get a replacement starter from Pittsburgh or Tampa.

It won't happen, while I like the thought behind it this trade doesn't benefit everyone to do.

How on earth would moving Niemi cost twice as much as what Chicago paid to move Bickell. We are not cap strapped and won't be next year, while his numbers suck the offense cam still carry him for 20 wins.

Chicago had to move him we don't. There is no way moving Niemi would cost anything near Honka let alone Honka+

Also if this deal lead to an other goalie move I would be down if not then no. We tried less experience backups for Kari and they were all terrible. Niemi is not good but the Kari and Niemi duo worked fine last year

Last edited:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
We're committed to having 2 starters, if we trade Niemi then we only have one. Nobody in free agency is capable of winning 25 games, we've already had a look at Enroth and decided he wasn't worth it otherwise we wouldn't have traded for Niemi in the first place.

Lupul's inability to stay healthy and higher cost makes this an easy pass.

one could argue we actually have zero starters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad