Proposal: Stars - Leafs

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Doesn't really make sense for the Stars. They take the larger cap hit for an offensive player they don't need who may be too injured to contribute and give up the better of their two goalies from a position of weakness. Toronto would have to add some incentive for them to actually do this.

Dallas had the league's best offense and bad goaltending with Niemi being more reliable than Lehtonen. They move Niemi they'll just have Lehtonen and they don't need a 5M+ forward when they're already offensively stacked. Especially not one like Lupul.

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not very realistic as this leaves the Leafs with Niemi who they don't need. That's $10M tied up in the goal crease.

If by some unimaginable scenario Lupul started the season with the Leafs they would still get a serviceable player. I just don't see the benefit for Niemi. There are way, way cheaper options out there.

Leafs can and should retain on Lupul.

Would gleefully do something like Lupul 50% for Hemsky.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Not very realistic as this leaves the Leafs with Niemi who they don't need. That's $10M tied up in the goal crease.

If by some unimaginable scenario Lupul started the season with the Leafs they would still get a serviceable player. I just don't see the benefit for Niemi. There are way, way cheaper options out there.

Leafs can and should retain on Lupul.

Would gleefully do something like Lupul 50% for Hemsky.

Why????

Lupul will be on ltir anyways, won't cost us a cent

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
no, we can ltir lupul then buy him out next year.
we done need a 4mil+ backup...thats why we just moved bernier

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't really make sense for the Stars. They take the larger cap hit for an offensive player they don't need who may be too injured to contribute and give up the better of their two goalies from a position of weakness. Toronto would have to add some incentive for them to actually do this.

Dallas had the league's best offense and bad goaltending with Niemi being more reliable than Lehtonen. They move Niemi they'll just have Lehtonen and they don't need a 5M+ forward when they're already offensively stacked. Especially not one like Lupul.

toronto needs to add to get a 4.5 mil backup goalie?

yeah ok :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
toronto needs to add to get a 4.5 mil backup goalie?

yeah ok :laugh:

Niemi could still be a serviceable starter. Not a strong one, but decent. I do agree though, that Toronto doesn't need to add. No reason to go doing Dallas a favor by taking one of their goalies. I have no idea what that team was thinking.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Is Niemi Dallas' backup? Not the last time I checked. If Toronto wants to acquire Niemi to be their backup, they're asking Dallas to move their preferred starter (call it 1a/1b, whatever... Niemi is the better) for a terrible cap dump. If they don't want to add pick another backup. As others have mentioned, not sure why Toronto would want to pay so much for a back up, but don't expect Dallas to give up their best goalie for Lupul.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While I could see Niemi ending up a Leaf because we do need a backup this isn't the deal that does it

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
no, we can ltir lupul then buy him out next year.
we done need a 4mil+ backup...thats why we just moved bernier

No we moved Betnier because he sucked Niemi doesn't suck and would actually give us 2 good goalies which we haven't Hard since Cujo and Scawb Sure Eddie came after Cujo but he always had garbage backups

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Is Niemi Dallas' backup? Not the last time I checked. If Toronto wants to acquire Niemi to be their backup, they're asking Dallas to move their preferred starter (call it 1a/1b, whatever... Niemi is the better) for a terrible cap dump. If they don't want to add pick another backup. As others have mentioned, not sure why Toronto would want to pay so much for a back up, but don't expect Dallas to give up their best goalie for Lupul.

their preferred goalie had a .905SV% on a cup contending team...Bernier who we just dumped had a .908SV% on the worst team in the league....Niemi is himself a terrible cap dump. we have absolutely no need for a 4.5 million backup, especially at the cost of moving another bad contract that we can easily LTIR

number72

Oct 9, 2011
I like this trade for Dallas. By moving Niemi we could then trade for Bishop.
Is there anyway the leafs could take both Lethonen and Niemi?

That way with Bishop (6M) the stars just need to get backup

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like this trade for Dallas. By moving Niemi we could then trade for Bishop.
Is there anyway the leafs could take both Lethonen and Niemi?

That way with Bishop (6M) the stars just need to get backup

No because we already have Andersen

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We're committed to having 2 starters, if we trade Niemi then we only have one. Nobody in free agency is capable of winning 25 games, we've already had a look at Enroth and decided he wasn't worth it otherwise we wouldn't have traded for Niemi in the first place.

Lupul's inability to stay healthy and higher cost makes this an easy pass.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas is not going to take back that kind of salary for a player who should be making $ 4 million less than he currently makes.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Dallas is not going to take back that kind of salary for a player who should be making $ 4 million less than he currently makes.

Hahaha you clearly know a lot about Lupul.

No way I do this from the leafs side.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
The Leafs just traded Bernier to get rid of an expensive backup goalie, so what is the point of this trade for them? They don't save that much in salary.

I think Lupul would absolutely be traded for significant savings in salary or term, but that's not the case here and I wouldn't expect any team to make such an offer until/unless Lupul shows he can be productive on the ice. And if that happens, Lupul will be worth more than this.

I also don't see a lot of a reason for the Stars to do this either.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Hahaha you clearly know a lot about Lupul.

No way I do this from the leafs side.

You mean the guy who cannot string two healthy season in a row together? Or the guy who has put up a blistering 79 points in his last 170 games played? You really think that equates to being paid $5.250 million this next season and the following season?

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
So many issues here. We will ignore the argument that Niemi is better than Lehtonen, the point of the deal is to free up a slot to get a starter like Fleury or Bishop.

Toronto just gave up a 1 year expensive backup goalie, they will not get a more expensive one at twice the term. It makes no sense unless Dallas is desperate enough to add a huge piece to take on the contract (think at least twice the cost Chicago paid).

Dallas then has to be ok with transferring the bad contract from goal to wing. There was no real advantage to them other than freeing up the goalie spot for a future trade.

All in all it comes down to would Dallas move a 1st round pick or top prospect like Honka (or more) to dump the goalie just so they can pay top price to get a replacement starter from Pittsburgh or Tampa.

It won't happen, while I like the thought behind it this trade doesn't benefit everyone to do.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
You mean the guy who cannot string two healthy season in a row together? Or the guy who has put up a blistering 79 points in his last 170 games played? You really think that equates to being paid $5.250 million this next season and the following season?

thx for proving my earlier point.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
No we moved Betnier because he sucked Niemi doesn't suck and would actually give us 2 good goalies which we haven't Hard since Cujo and Scawb Sure Eddie came after Cujo but he always had garbage backups

If by good you mean incredibly average yeah. Neither Andersen nor Niemi could hold Cujo's jockstrap.

Klumppa

Jun 8, 2015
Not going back to starter Lehtonen and bust backup. 1a/1b works better even if it costs alot, dallas needs to trade a goalie for a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad