GDT: Stars @ Avs, 2024-25 Preseason game 1, 7:00pm MT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well, since I was forced to watch that game, here goes…

- Foudy…what a disappointing performance. Looked soft and uninterested all night long.
- Olausson had real flashes but for a guy who has a great shot, can’t hit the damn net.
- Kovy looked like he was focusing on playing smart defense given the line they put him on. Real chance that could be a 4th line. He drew a penalty and thought they called it on him so Tynan had to come rescue him. Think he got one shift in the final 10 minutes because of penalty fest.
- Ritchie didn’t do much at ES through two but definitely perked up in the 3rd. He was a real weapon on the PP too.
- Liked Behrens
- Brannstrom was all over the place, not in a good way
- my god Middleton sucks
- AHL guys were very good but simply not going to get fooled by them. Can’t imagine a universe where Bednar plays 4’2” Matthew Phillips
Brannstrom and Kyington probably cannot be a pairing. Kylington was softer than I hoped on the puck but made a tremedous pass for a breakaway chance.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wonder if ESPN+ didn't have the rights to broadcast this game? That's why they cut the feed?

Not sure if this was a comprehensive list of their pre-season schedule, but ESPN didn't have this game listed in their press release.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
That was literally hard to watch and the hockey wasn’t very good either. The new guys aren’t looking so great but this match had more scrubs than John Hopkins.

I feel like the feed was the one they use in house for Jumbotrons - very reminiscent of events I’ve watched where there’s no studio intermissions and you just see the junk they play to try to entertain fans. I didn’t try the Victory+ option but it sounds like they used that same video feed.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, since I was forced to watch that game, here goes…

- Foudy…what a disappointing performance. Looked soft and uninterested all night long.
- Olausson had real flashes but for a guy who has a great shot, can’t hit the damn net.
- Kovy looked like he was focusing on playing smart defense given the line they put him on. Real chance that could be a 4th line. He drew a penalty and thought they called it on him so Tynan had to come rescue him. Think he got one shift in the final 10 minutes because of penalty fest.
- Ritchie didn’t do much at ES through two but definitely perked up in the 3rd. He was a real weapon on the PP too.
- Liked Behrens
- Brannstrom was all over the place, not in a good way
- my god Middleton sucks
- AHL guys were very good but simply not going to get fooled by them. Can’t imagine a universe where Bednar plays 4’2” Matthew Phillips
He really is Burakovsky-lite!

That seriously sucks to read about Foudy. You'd think he'd be rarin' to go, but maybe time and injuries have sapped his resolve. Either way, I'm not that interested if he's pulling a Kaut.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He really is Burakovsky-lite!

That seriously sucks to read about Foudy. You'd think he'd be rarin' to go, but maybe time and injuries have sapped his resolve. Either way, I'm not that interested if he's pulling a Kaut.

Very disappointed in Foudy, I really wonder if we should have just left him in juniors to develop offensively. Just doesnt have that bottom six grinder mentality/compete and unfortunately we dont have the time to develop him. Cogs eventually became a good bottom sixer, so really hoping the best for him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Very disappointed in Foudy, I really wonder if we should have just left him in juniors to develop offensively. Just doesnt have that bottom six grinder mentality/compete and unfortunately we dont have the time to develop him. Cogs eventually became a good bottom sixer, so really hoping the best for him.
Nah, I don't think the Avs messed up his development and I don't really believe an organization really CAN mess up a player's development. They can slow it down, yeah, but they either got it or they don't. Like Kaut, Foudy already has a questionable skill level, couple that with a wonky work ethic and you have a "prospect" who's just not worth the trouble.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Nah, I don't think the Avs messed up his development and I don't really believe an organization really CAN mess up a player's development. They can slow it down, yeah, but they either got it or they don't. Like Kaut, Foudy already has a questionable skill level, couple that with a wonky work ethic and you have a "prospect" who's just not worth the trouble.
He really did look awful last night. Not one thing was impressive about his game.

I didn’t see any player that I would be excited about playing NHL hockey. Even 4th line/3rd pairing.

And btw, Bellemare looked sllloooooowwwwww. Have a feeling he may be cooked. I feel the Avs need some young legs anyway.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With the way the Avs and Bednar like their bottom 6, players have to get their nose dirty (on the ice, not off). Battle and play with a lot of pressure. It doesn't always mean play physical, but it helps. Foudy simply doesn't apply the pressure part. He doesn't need to be physical, but he simply can't be a perimeter player. This was an issue going back to his draft year. It is the reason he fell in the draft and if it doesn't come around, he won't be a NHLer as he doesn't have enough pure skill to make it on that.

Saying that, a team that is less pressure focused on their forecheck may find a role for him. He can skate and can move the puck between zones. That has value if you can hide his passiveness.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In my view... Behrens looked very good. It is tough to take too much from these games as the overall quality is rough... but he was the best Av on the ice. MacNorris was also in his midseason form, so that may play into it. Those two as a pairing in Windsor have some real potential.

Ritchie and OO looked bad everywhere except the PP. The talents flashed, but they were very, very bad at ES.

The competition for the 4C spot is lacking, but PEB needs to play better. He was lost and slow out there.

Stienburg doesn't look like a NHLer or even close... but this was one of the best performances he's had as a pro. Would like to see this level for a full season in the AHL.

Brannstrom looked like he was uncomfortable to me. Coaches have to be telling him to use his feet and be a lot more aggressive... and he was, it just looked terrible.

Kovalenko is certainly going to get his run and he is going to have to stick on effort, pressure, and defense. Last night he showed all of those.

Kylington also looked pretty bad. There are major questions about his level of player when not with a lockdown guy like Tanev. Last night did nothing to answer those questions.

Phillips is going to have an AHL All Star sort of season. Tynan and him with MacNorris patrolling the backend will really help the Eagles' scoring woes.

Overall... it was the first preseason game, with little effort across the board. Going to be hard to gauge much of anything here. The good glimpse like Behrens and the bad like Brannstrom should all be taken with a grain of salt. They don't mean much given the rosters and going through the motions.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bellemare looked sllloooooowwwwww. Have a feeling he may be cooked.
I love him but Belly looked ready for retirement after he left the Avs the first time. He shouldn't even have played year 1 in Tampa, let alone year 2 and even less so this season.

I don't know if the Avs pro scouts are as active/effective as they once were. Tatar and Ryjo last year and now cooked Belly on a PTO. It's like they weren't scouting much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad