Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's interesting how this is being covered versus how the show's low ratings were. This is an "emphatic show of support" while the other was "review bombing" by toxic fans. Also interesting is that these 50,000 signatures are more than the "25,000+" total user ratings at RT. It makes you wonder, if each signature is from a unique person, why all of these people didn't just go to RT and massively boost the show's score a month ago or even right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DustyDangler

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The petition isn't going to change anything but if fans want to voice their support go for it. We can argue about why the show wasn't good until we're blue in the face (insert Thrawn joke here) but at the end of the day it just didn't get the numbers it needed to justify what it cost and Disney isn't going to keep pumping money into something they view as a loser.

I do think they need to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why it didn't get the numbers. What I worry about is they'll look at it and go "no more High Republic, more Skywalker/OT/PT adjacent stuff" and not learn the actual lesson, which is fans don't want mediocre content.

I'm sure this will result in the usual "go woke, go broke" discourse, but I think it goes beyond that. They don't seem to have an actual plan. The last film was TROS, in December of 2019. Since then they go through directors like underwear, and the next movie is scheduled for what, 2026? And even the ones they've released pretty much all had production issues. What the f*** are you doing Disney/Lucasfilm?!

The streaming shows were a welcome relief from all that for a while, but even that's faltered lately between season 3 of Mando (I like it a lot but I know reviews are mixed), BOBF, Obi-Wan, and now Acolyte. And honestly, the issues I've had with all of those are pretty much the same. Some cool fights/moments/concepts let down by weak or bad storytelling. It's become a pattern, really only broken by Andor, which is run by a guy who basically took a "I'm going to create a good drama/political thriller that just happens to take place in the Star Wars universe" approach.

I don't know if they need to find more of those types of creators, meddle more/less with them once they get their projects, or just put the right creative in charge, but something needs to change because it's just not working. I know Rocha has been saying that they're going to be taking a pause in production after Skeleton Crew, so hopefully they do and make the right adjustments (I feel like I've been saying/hoping that for a long time now).

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
How was this show not prequel adjacent? The moment I heard it was just a 100 years before I was like, 'oh look there will be Yoda for a minute and Palpatine's master will probably show up.'

Enough with prequels/OT movies. Enough with prequels and stories we already know how it's gonna turn out. Why the hell do I care what the Jedi or the Empire were doing before the first Star Wars? We know what happens with the Empire in Return of the Jedi. We know the New Republic folds like a crappy lawn chair in the sequels.

Set up a proper sequel era set with a television format!(Have an occasional movie when a story demands a movie treatment) Ditch everyone from the original movies because most of them are dead/will be dead soon. You can't do stories with them!

Just set the next show a couple hundred years into the future, and turn the whole concept of Jedi and the Force into myth. Then it's about a rediscovery and a proper restoration of the Jedi order during some war thing, and which leads into some Super New Republic or whatever!
Heck you can have sorts of weird cult people who dabble with Force crap or whatever! Just rip off Babylon 5 or something!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Heck you can have sorts of weird cult people who dabble with Force crap or whatever!
I can see it, a weird cult of lesbians dabbling with life-creating force... I love it, where do I sign?

(I'm joking, I agree with most of what you're saying, they need to tell new stuff, but SW fans have a tendency to only agree to what they've already seen/read)

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
At the end of the day the show just too expensive to greenlight another season. Disney really needs to start keeping a tighter budget for their shows, 180m is an insane budget for a show since you don't have any ticketsales to recuperate your investment.

Feels like a case of putting all your eggs in a basket and hope it holds up.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Andor, Season 1 of Mando, the animated stuff, and Rogue One were class. Almost everything else- Solo, Mando 2 and 3, BOBF, Kenobi- had some real moments of good, and unfortunately, hilariously awful. The concepts, the stories, and the settings intrigued me. There was bad acting and moments in each (the electrical wheelchair chase in BOBF may have been the worse moment of all).

However, Acolyte was complete shit. I’m fairly woke, I know the legends lore and don’t really care about it being rewritten (though, when it’s class- use it!). However, this had almost no redeeming qualities. Character motivations were inconsistent, acting (Qimir and first half Sol’s season aside) and script was very poor, the heavy handedness of let us show you how woke Disney is were all f***ing rough. Pacing was awful, it was incredibly predictable, and they treated the audience like everything needed to be spelled out explicitly. A few nice Sabre battles, but visually, it was nowhere near the quality of some things we’ve seen (Freighter escape in Andor, Holdo maneuver) elsewhere in Star Wars. We did get giant bugs carrying away a with, and a Wookiee using a metal detector though… They repeated the death of the cult three times in eight episodes!

Aside from finding Qimir’s story intriguing, the only payoff in the entire season was Plagueis, and it felt like such a cheap attempt to earn a second season. Had he been introduced in episode 4 and had some interesting string pulling, it could have potentially created enough intrigue to warrant a second season. Instead it was a cameo.

There were some interesting ideas, but the execution was terrible. It didn’t deserve a second season. I don’t blame the actors- including Stenberg- but trying to put this on the neckbeards as the reason it was cancelled is a severe lack of ownership. It sucked!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was established in Legends material that is no longer considered canon. Even if it was, who gives a shit? Do you honestly think most people who watched the show know or care what Ki-Adi-Mundi's f***ing birthdate is? It's dumb shit like this that annoys me in these arguments. It's like complaining that they missed a spot painting the Titanic's hull as the damn thing is halfway under water.
OK

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

There was backlash from certain groups. But the writing and casting is where the problem started
She can go back to being a political activist or something else she's interested in then.

The show was mediocre. Her bosses boss made the decision.

Michael Keaton took a lot of crap before he did Batman in 1988-89, Heath Ledger at The Joker in 2007-2008. There are lots of examples.

The product wasn't good. End of story. Don't crap on your audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad