Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
449463304_18121892053365054_5399896539414804750_n.jpg
Do they roll over white when he bites you?

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
C'mon man bad dialogue is Star Wars cannon!

From Harrison Ford telling George Lucas "You can type this shit, but you can't say it" to Young Anakin squealing "YIPPEEEEE" to "Somehow Palpatine returned!"

Ass dialogue is as baked into Star Wars as The Force itself.
It's the thread GODDAMN IT! So demands Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Well that was a maybe bit better. Still too much stilted wooden dialogue that just tells us rather than showing us anything about the characters but I do like Qimir, he's really the only interesting part of the show for me so far. Approaching basic TV competence in ep6 at least.

I want to dropkick that stupid chipmunk badly.

• Haha
Reactions: kingsfan28

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah that was fine overall. After the writing mess that the past two episodes have been, this level of average was almost a breath of fresh air. Problem is a number of lines were still not delivered all that well (Master Venestra in particular has a really tough time emoting and delivering lines naturally with consistency) but at least the writing as a whole wasn't atrocious.

Lee-Jung Jae is doing a lot of heavy lifting as Master Sol here. I don't think anyone else is even coming close to his level.

The actor for Qimir, I know him from the Good Place (and we heard him talking when he was playing a character) so I find his slow affect in voicing this character a bit forced and distracting. He's probably still the second best actor here but that's not saying much. Dafne Keen was all right in her limited role.

Reactions: Rob

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's the thread GODDAMN IT! So demands Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant.
Come on. You can nitpick a ton of shit in this show, but the witch coven calling the Force 'the thread' is just literally a different culture's name and belief regarding the same concept. This show isn't trying to erase "The Force" from the lexicon. This kind of nitpicking is seriously annoying and bad faith.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I thought this was a better episode.

Sol and Qimir are carrying this show on their back

That was a decent episode. Lots of intrigue into Qimir. The former Jedi twist is something. After seeing Vernestra’s “whip” lightsaber, I’m going out on a limb and saying she was the Jedi Master to Qimir and is responsible for the scar on his back.

I also thought this was the case - could also explain why the troupe was sent to the planet where he happened to be, and why she feels so guilty about getting those Jedi killed.

Also I hate the whip lightsaber.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I like where the show has gotten to, it was just really rough getting there. We'll see if they can stick the landing in the next 2 episodes. Although I swear if they end the next episode with Sol just about almost getting ready to tell what the hell actually happened on Brendok again...

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I like where the show has gotten to, it was just really rough getting there. We'll see if they can stick the landing in the next 2 episodes. Although I swear if they end the next episode with Sol just about almost getting ready to tell what the hell actually happened on Brendok again...

This is what's driving me nuts. They've teased and revisited a secret maybe *every* single episode and haven't paid it off. I know it will pay off, but it feels like someone dangling a hot dog in front of me each episode and I'm getting to the point where it's going to be impossible to live up to the hype.

I feel like well-written shows don't need to beat you over the head with this device. Every single episode.

Like Game of Thrones...by S1 Episode 2, we get a hint that there's some wild past with Jon Snow's heritage. I don't think we get our next hint until like 4 seasons later. A+ stuff.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I mean, it is a cool helmet
....And he did have his flesh saber flopping around and presumable ignited ..... (If you know what I mean), write what you know and how you got a job in Hollywood Headland. I'm she didnt bend over a rock at light speed and show him the darkside.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's been no indication that Osha is corruptible. She knew the difference between right and wrong at an early age and harbors no ill feelings towards the Jedi. In fact, she seems to still aspire to be one and threatens to kill Qimir before he reminds her that Jedi don't attack the unarmed. Why would she put on his helmet soon after that and, especially, after he killed two people that she was acquainted with? That'd be like Luke putting on Darth Vader's helmet, and we know that even the vision of him wearing it freaked him out. It's nonsensical of her to put it on. The reason that she does has nothing to do with her character and is just so that the writers could end on a cliffhanger that they think will keep us guessing. They seem to think that we're dumb enough to suddenly worry that she'll become Qimir's new acolyte or even take his place, when anyone over the age of 10 knows that neither will happen. It's just a lame fake out and more evidence of how bad the writing is.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
There's been no indication that Osha is corruptible. She knew the difference between right and wrong at an early age and harbors no ill feelings towards the Jedi. In fact, she seems to still aspire to be one and threatens to kill Qimir before he reminds her that Jedi don't attack the unarmed. Why would she put on his helmet soon after that and, especially, after he killed two people that she was acquainted with? That'd be like Luke putting on Darth Vader's helmet, and we know that even the vision of him wearing it freaked him out. It's nonsensical of her to put it on. The reason that she does has nothing to do with her character and is just so that the writers could end on a cliffhanger that they think will keep us guessing. They seem to think that we're dumb enough to suddenly worry that she'll become Qimir's new acolyte or even take his place, when anyone over the age of 10 knows that neither will happen. It's just a lame fake out and more evidence of how bad the writing is.
Osprey, I like you man, but sometimes you sound like a Star Wars fan ;).

You know the material, and thus might be right (it is, indeed, simplistic), but you're asking for it to be as simple and pre-chewed as possible. It's like there can't be any other way, since Luke was freaked out. How many indications would there need to be for her being believably corruptible? I mean, there's no indication she's a vegan either, and it might still be possible. I'll be so happy if she ends up becoming the acolyte, making season 2 a mirror of this one, with Mae working with Sol to redeem Osha. As they were created by the force, maybe there needs to be balance between the twins! (and if it goes that way, I wonder if people will march down the streets claiming "not my Osha!").

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You know the material, and thus might be right (it is, indeed, simplistic), but you're asking for it to be as simple and pre-chewed as possible. It's like there can't be any other way, since Luke was freaked out. How many indications would there need to be for her being believably corruptible? I mean, there's no indication she's a vegan either, and it might still be possible. I'll be so happy if she ends up becoming the acolyte, making season 2 a mirror of this one, with Mae working with Sol to redeem Osha. As they were created by the force, maybe there needs to be balance between the twins! (and if it goes that way, I wonder if people will march down the streets claiming "not my Osha!").
No, I'm not asking for it to be simple. I want it to make sense. If a character is going to turn bad, it has to be believable. There should be signs and explanations. In the prequels, Anakin slowly became impetuous and selfish, lost his mother, murdered an entire tribe for it, was denied promotion by the Jedi Council, secretly married Padme against Jedi rules, was convinced by Palpatine that the dark side of the Force could save her, flipped out when she died and then fought and was left for dead by his master. All of that made his transformation into Darth Vader believable. If he had just suddenly and out of curiosity put on the Vader helmet and decided that he was a Sith now, it wouldn't have made any sense. Switching on a dime isn't character development. Now, I suppose that there's some time left to try to justify Osha joining the dark side once she learns the truth and if Sol and other Jedi maybe kill Mae, but my point was that the tease that this episode ended on wasn't effective because nothing so far has made such a turn seem at all believable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
My two favorite things about this show are:

1) The depiction of the Jedi as corrupt, sclerotic, and oppressive

2) Manny Jacinto’s performance because he’s charismatic and menacing at the same time

This kind of nitpicking is seriously annoying and bad faith.

Unheard of levels of unwillingness to suspend disbelief going on with this show

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
My two favorite things about this show are:

1) The depiction of the Jedi as corrupt, sclerotic, and oppressive

2) Manny Jacinto’s performance because he’s charismatic and menacing at the same time

Unheard of levels of unwillingness to suspend disbelief going on with this show

Darth Twinkus The Lame is about as menacing as Dark Helmet, with his stupid ass David Healy for Roseanne haircut.

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the double turn. Mae becomes good and Osha turns to the darkside of the force. We haven't seen anything like this since Stone Cold vs Brett Hart at Wrestlemania 13!!
:laugh: Except unlike then, nobody gives a shit since this show has historically pathetic ratings.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
No, I'm not asking for it to be simple. I want it to make sense. If a character is going to turn bad, it has to be believable. There should be signs and explanations. In the prequels, Anakin slowly became impetuous and selfish, lost his mother, murdered an entire tribe for it, was denied promotion by the Jedi Council, secretly married Padme against Jedi rules, was convinced by Palpatine that the dark side of the Force could save her, flipped out when she died and then fought and was left for dead by his master. All of that made his transformation into Darth Vader believable. If he had just suddenly and out of curiosity put on the Vader helmet and decided that he was a Sith now, it wouldn't have made any sense. Switching on a dime isn't character development. Now, I suppose that there's some time left to try to justify Osha joining the dark side once she learns the truth and if Sol and other Jedi maybe kill Mae, but my point was that the tease that this episode ended on wasn't effective because nothing so far has made such a turn seem at all believable.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this show is well written - on the other hand, I would not go to the prequels as an example of good writing as I think they were probably worse. All I'm saying is that there's still a lot of room to explain why she could go bad, and that the spectator doesn't have to understand the every detail of character motivation, and that's especially true of "evil" ones. I agree that after he murdered everyone it makes him a little harder to listen to when he blablas, but then again, he only murdered people she's known for 20 minutes. ;-)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I agree we certainly do not have all the information yet. I assume more is coming ... they're hinting pretty strongly that we don't have the full story of what happened with the Jedi when she was a kid.

Setting that aside ... Qimir gives her a big speech about how she didn't leave the Jedi, she was thrown away. She then sees his scars and sees that he was thrown away too. She's clearly starting to have a realization that he may be right.

It's almost as if she's now seeing something ... from a certain point of view.

This is not that hard to understand.

Not sure your Anakin parallel holds since we go into the prequels knowing he will become bad. Those movies exist solely to explain that. You know how it is going to play out at all times. This is a new character who we know nothing about. We don't know where this story is going. Maybe it works in the end. Maybe it won't.

And frankly, I can't help but feel like if they did lay more breadcrumbs for this twin switch the complaint would be ... OMG THIS IS STUPID I SEE THE TWIST FROM A MILE AWAY.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad