Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
For all the things I hate about the Acolyte, I will give it major credit for 3 things:

- Qimir & Sol. Both very cool characters that I'm thankful to have seen.
- The lightsaber sequences were top notch. Among the best of the best. They'd be even better if the context around the battles wasn't total trash.
- It tried (though failed) at doing a story where the Jedi aren't seen as star-spangled awesome.

HM: Jedi wookie

Other than those basic accolades, I think it was *trash*

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I've always thought taking existing story ideas and structures and adapting it to Star Wars is a great idea. Hell, the origin is a riff on The Hidden Fortress. There have been nods to Aliens (Clone Wars), Seven Samurai and Wages of Fear (Mandalorian). These work pretty well.

Rogue Squadron is just sitting there. Top Gun or whatever it's a really good idea that could be fun.
Coming back to this, one of the misses of The Acolyte is that it flirts with some of this. The first episode is a little Kill Bill. A Star Wars story about someone (Sith or whomever) with a revenge checklist (against Jedis or whomever) is a fun idea. Similarly Jedi "cops" investigating mysterious murders also is a fun idea. I also like the idea of a Jedi conspiracy, covering up some sort of crime or event. Again, fun. Types of stories we're familiar with, but done through a Star Wars lens.

I like that The Acolyte introduces these ideas. I was disappointed it doesn't really follow through enough on the first two. The third seems like material for the next season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
tenor.gif

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not surprising. They set up some interesting things but the route they took to get there just wasn't good enough to earn another season.

It's honestly just kind of irritating now that Plagueis' debut in live action (even if it was just a creepy shot of him in a cave) was wasted on this show.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Coming back to this, one of the misses of The Acolyte is that it flirts with some of this. The first episode is a little Kill Bill. A Star Wars story about someone (Sith or whomever) with a revenge checklist (against Jedis or whomever) is a fun idea. Similarly Jedi "cops" investigating mysterious murders also is a fun idea. I also like the idea of a Jedi conspiracy, covering up some sort of crime or event. Again, fun. Types of stories we're familiar with, but done through a Star Wars lens.

I like that The Acolyte introduces these ideas. I was disappointed it doesn't really follow through enough on the first two. The third seems like material for the next season.

There were some early treatments for the Kenobi series with him solving mysterious events around the galaxy, while keeping an eye on Skywalker. I always liked the idea of him as a detective, much like he was in parts of the prequels. I thought that's where the Acolyte was going, but it just never got there and then went off in several directions. The poor writing and acting didn't help either. Not really surprised it got cancelled, just never hit a consistent stride as the show went on, even with the Plagus tease. It felt more like they knew the show had problems and was trying to keep it audience with that ending.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Next on the To Do List:

Cancel Ahsoka
Cancel the Rey movie
Cancel the Dave Filoni movie
Cancel the Taika Waititi movie
Cancel the Shawn Levy movie
Cancel the Lando Series

Decanonize Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, Mando S3, Ahsoka and the entire sequel trilogy.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Next on the To Do List:

Cancel Ahsoka
Cancel the Rey movie
Cancel the Lando Series

Decanonize Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, Mando S3, Ahsoka and the entire sequel trilogy.
ya ok

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Next on the To Do List:

Cancel Ahsoka
Cancel the Rey movie
Cancel the Lando Series

Lando is already cancelled.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Hopefully Lucasfilm/Disney learns as lesson --- tell a GOOOD story.

No gender issues, no politics, no fake inclusivity. Tell me a good f***ing story, put a lot of cool and varied aliens and people and places and make it fun not a goddamn sermon.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hopefully Lucasfilm/Disney learns as lesson --- tell a GOOOD story.

No gender issues, no politics, no fake inclusivity. Tell me a good f***ing story, put a lot of cool and varied aliens and people and places and make it fun not a goddamn sermon.
The thing is, none of those things were why the show wasn't good. They just didn't tell a good story. Blaming it on "wokeness" is just lazy and stupid.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The Acolyte suffers from the same thing that most of these Disney Stars Wars shows suffers from: there are too many episodes for the stories they are trying to tell. I don't think it's normal that these short series have pacing issues with too many scenes and moments that are needlessly stretched or feel like filler.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The thing is, none of those things were why the show wasn't good. They just didn't tell a good story. Blaming it on "wokeness" is just lazy and stupid.
They didn't tell a good story, but a large reason for that was the focus on ideology over quality. They were more concerned with using Star Wars to represent their beliefs than telling a good Star Wars story. The whole thing was, primarily, an analogy for minorities and women (of which Headland is both) being oppressed by patriarchal society. The witches and Qimir wanted to openly be who they are and practice their brand of the Force, but were denied by the Jedi who saw them as a threat and abused their power and authority to keep them down. To that end, the former were portrayed sympathetically, no matter what bad things they did, and the latter were portrayed critically, no matter how much they (especially Sol) tried to do the right thing. The result was a story that didn't make sense or feel like Star Wars and characters that were hard to understand and care for, among other things. There was more to the show being bad than that, but that was a fundamental reason.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad