Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - III - Spock's Beard

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think that it's being fickle. It's that a "small universe" suits the franchise that's more fantasy and doesn't suit the franchise that's less so.

Not really. The universe is small when it fits the dramatic purpose of the writers and it’s larger when they need it to be larger. That’s how all fictional universes are.

Fans are just fickle about what they agree or disagree with.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not really. The universe is small when it fits the dramatic purpose of the writers and it’s larger when they need it to be larger. That’s how all fictional universes are.

Yes, but franchises usually lean one way or the other because the writers have a vision in mind and show a preference for one over the other. It's what gives franchises distinctly different flavors and fans come to expect those flavors. It's not being fickle to expect a flavor and be unhappy that you receive something else. That's literally being the opposite of fickle, which means "marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability : given to erraic changeableness." In fact, if anything technically meets the definition of fickle, it's the writers making the universe feel larger or smaller whenever they feel like it.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes, but franchises usually lean one way or the other because the writers have a vision in mind and show a preference for one over the other. It's what gives franchises distinctly different flavors and fans come to expect those flavors. It's not being fickle to expect a flavor and be unhappy that receive something else. That's literally being the opposite of fickle, which means "marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability : given to erraic changeableness." In fact, if anything technically meets the definition of fickle, it's the writers making the universe feel larger or smaller whenever they feel like it.

Writers are fickle too, but that doesn’t mean fans aren’t.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well that escalated quickly. Seems to be closing in continuity. Nanobot Leland... :eek: Spock is now also like the Spock we know.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't watched this week's episode or last week's yet. They're both just sitting ont he DVR.

It's not really bothering me that's the case. :laugh:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think I'm about 4 episodes behind. I have no real interest in getting caught up.

Not everything in this world is subjective. The writing on this show is objectively bad and not up to the standards of modern day quality television dramas.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't watched this week's episode or last week's yet. They're both just sitting ont he DVR.
I think I'm about 4 episodes behind. I have no real interest in getting caught up.

I was wondering where the two of you were for the last few weeks. For the last month, I've just been putting it on in the background while I do things on the computer. It's easier to get through that way and doesn't feel like I've wasted an hour.

FYI, johnjm22, you wouldn't miss much if you were to just watch the final 10-15 minutes of each episode. A remarkable amount of nothing happens in the first half hour of each.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I watched the latest episode. The time travel writing in this show is making Generations look genius.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I didn't mind the last episode. But I can't help but wonder if Control ends up going out to join the Borg and becomes their queen

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
They retconned the Klingons, so just because the Borg have been around for a long time, doesn't mean that the writers won't modify them.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What are you guys doing? Stop giving them bad ideas! They have enough already.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season 3 will be Michael Burnham tutoring Lieutenant Kirk into becoming the man we see in The Original Series.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Season 3 will be Michael Burnham tutoring Lieutenant Kirk into becoming the man we see in The Original Series.

Using the Red Angel tech, Burnham travels back in time to the USS Kelvin, saves Kirk from being killed (even though that's Abrams movie verse and this apparenlty isn't, who cares) and then raises him as his surrogate mother while avoiding contact with her native-to-that-timeline younger self. In this way she teaches Kirk to be someone different than history remembers so that the version of her native ot this timeline can grow up to mentor Lt. Kirk into being the correct version, ensuring that she saves reality as we know it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Using the Red Angel tech, Burnham travels back in time to the USS Kelvin, saves Kirk from being killed (even though that's Abrams movie verse and this apparenlty isn't, who cares) and then raises him as his surrogate mother while avoiding contact with her native-to-that-timeline younger self. In this way she teaches Kirk to be someone different than history remembers so that the version of her native ot this timeline can grow up to mentor Lt. Kirk into being the correct version, ensuring that she saves reality as we know it.
Are you sure you're not a writer for this series?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Are you sure you're not a writer for this series?

Maybe I should submit a spec script to them. Then I can ingratiate myself with the writers' room just long enough to be assigned a big episode like a season finale or something and then *bam* Burnham gets sucked out an airlock at the end of act 3. Dead.

And then a Klingon Bird of Pray decloaks and shoots her corpse with a photon torpedo, vaporising it and preventing any and all possible resurrection.

And maybe Tilly ends up with Transporter Psychosis or something too.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Maybe I should submit a spec script to them. Then I can ingratiate myself with the writers' room just long enough to be assigned a big episode like a season finale or something and then *bam* Burnham gets sucked out an airlock at the end of act 3. Dead.

And then a Klingon Bird of Pray decloaks and shoots her corpse with a photon torpedo, vaporising it and preventing any and all possible resurrection.

Her corpse may be vaporized but they will use the time suit to go into the mycelial network where they will find an image of her and will bring her back from the dead in the body of a space slug.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

The Klingon Bird of Prey decloaks and shoots her with a torpedo, she goes all glowy and makes a crucifix like looking thing and then vanishes.

She is later integrated into Voyager 6 by the Borg and in her desperation to evolve to be god she heads for earth to find her creator.

Then they create a new series Star Trek The Burham God.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Klingon Bird of Prey decloaks and shoots her with a torpedo, she goes all glowy and makes a crucifix like looking thing and then vanishes.

She is later integrated into Voyager 6 by the Borg and in her desperation to evolve to be god she heads for earth to find her creator.

Then they create a new series Star Trek The Burham God.

And then she goes back in time so that in the super special remastered 40th anniversary version of Star Trek V, Kirk & company find her at teh center of the galaxy beyond the great barrier instead of the version they found in the original movie. And William Shatner finally gets his big spectacle fight with the giant rock monsters that he intended to have in the film.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was wondering where the two of you were for the last few weeks. For the last month, I've just been putting it on in the background while I do things on the computer. It's easier to get through that way and doesn't feel like I've wasted an hour.

I did the same with this episode. Watching this episode felt like a chore.

The inability of this show to put on a satisfying hour of television is frustrating. I was excited for a minute when I thought they killed off Ash Tyler... too bad he's still alive.

They need to copy the structure from LOST where each episode is about and focused on 1 character and almost no character gets more than 2 episodes a season. The 2nd half of the season has been all Michael and I could not care less.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Watching the episode from 2 weeks ago (the one that kicks off with Airiam's funeral) now.

I'm halfway in and already I want to pull the chute and quit.

The moment they went "OMG Michael, the angel is you!" almost made me vomit. Even knowing that this is a swerve and they're going in a different (but equally dumb) direction, this whole tiny, small, super-interconnected universe is getting profoundly silly.

The dialogue is so stupid. Culber walks into the Admiral's office and says "you... used to be a therapist." A reasonable statement of a sorta-questioning nature for someone who might not have known that fact before. And her response is an almost sarcastic sounding "yes, I'm aware!". A goddamn therapist shouldn't be talking in a way that sounds like they're brushing off someone who obviously came to them for help.

And Michael can't emote for crap. Her "rrrr, angry!" bit with whats-his-face, the second 31 guy, was laughable. She has like 3 tricks in her bag: furrowed brow, bad cry, and smug messiah complex. She's like the female version of Jared Padalecki from Supernatural. Except that Padalecki actually has charisma and likeability that compensates. Burnham's actress is so wooden that she might as well be made out of popsicle sticks and those glue sticks that smell like stale crackers.

I swear to god it's like the show is trying to make me hate it. There was lots of crap in Enterprise that I didn't like, but I never felt this underpinning sense of constant frustration with it that I do with this show.

I also know people that loooove Tilly. My mom, who is a huge trekkie and got me into Star Trek when I was a kid, thinks she's funny and great and can't understand why she irritates me so much when I told her that was the case.

I don't get how people don't understand that even in the modern age of 'everyone is special and is who they are and we shouldn't tell them to change.' that there's a certain level of professional decorum that one should expect out of someone who works in an organization with a quasi-military structure and protocol. Tilly is barely functional as a professional. She should be working in a lab somewhere that doesn't require her to do things like interact with people and be concise and direct and possibly have to lead people.

I started out hopeful, then became disappointed, then jaded, then mocking, and now I'm just... I don't know... tired of it.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"Time is a living thing. It has gravity."

:facepalm:

Living things don't have gravity. Well, OK, technically they do. But not to any appreciable or materially consequential amount.

Stop trying to write smarter than you are, Discovery writers' room. Or get a few goddamn scientists. Hell, the Futurama writers room had multiple disciplines scientists, mathematicians, computer scientists, and lawyers. What's your excuse?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why would eeeevil Georgiou refer to the regular trek universe (ie the one this show and all others are taking place in) as "the prime universe."? It's not her prime universe. "prime" is a relative term that she shouldn't be using in that fashion.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad