Star players that are bad playoff performers

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Absolutely true, guy varies from junk to straight up flotsam the closer he gets to elimination. It's like he actively checks out.

Good idea to keep hand waving at the oiler players and hope no one notices how far gone the rot is on the Leafs.

Junk lol

In the past, your team has done a good job of limiting Auston Matthews. He was going to break through at some point. How do you limit what he does to you moving forward?

Montgomery
: I think we have done a pretty good job. Great players are going to make plays. What I have been impressed about with him is how tenacious he has been on pucks and how tenacious he has been on the forecheck. He has been relentless with his forecheck.

On the first goal, he wins the battle and rings it off the crossbar. It ends up in our net, right? On the other play, he gets in behind us. We can’t let him in behind us. That is the most dangerous man on the ice. You have to be tighter.

He is the most dangerous man on the ice because he has earned it.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Junk lol

In the past, your team has done a good job of limiting Auston Matthews. He was going to break through at some point. How do you limit what he does to you moving forward?

Montgomery
: I think we have done a pretty good job. Great players are going to make plays. What I have been impressed about with him is how tenacious he has been on pucks and how tenacious he has been on the forecheck. He has been relentless with his forecheck.

On the first goal, he wins the battle and rings it off the crossbar. It ends up in our net, right? On the other play, he gets in behind us. We can’t let him in behind us. That is the most dangerous man on the ice. You have to be tighter.

"In the past", lmfao. Very dangerous in game 2/7, good thing the team was able to stay alive and win without him. Just too bad that he came back for game 7, might have won that too, instead of going out like a fart in the wind.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid era Oilers are 1-11 vs non-pacific teams in the playoffs, let's see if they can finally get it done outside the division. They only ever won 1 game vs that horrible blackhawks team in the bubble, swept twice. Seems like they do a lot of damage vs the poorer teams in pacific but then struggle pretty badly against the Central.

FYI he has 7 more points in 6 more games playing against much weaker teams, context matters. I don't think he would be putting up those types of numbers if he was playing in the Atlantic in the playoffs. The Pacific has gotten stronger over the last 2 years, but there is a massive difference between playing against teams like Boston, Tampa, Florida vs Pacific, even with Vegas emerging.

Matthews and the Leafs have played against elite teams/goaltenders nearly every year

Holtby, Rask, Rask, Price, Vasi, Vasi, Bobrovsky. Every single one of those guys has won a cup or played in the finals + won a vezina.

The best goalie Edmonton has played against was Helly, who swept them. Every other goalie has been significantly weaker than all the guys mentioned above.

Is this for real?

Wow.

It's one thing to think this, it's a whole other thing to write it down and put it out there. This is hilarious.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Is this for real?

Wow.

It's one thing to think this, it's a whole other thing to write it down and put it out there. This is hilarious.
"Think this"

Think what ? lol those are all facts, there is nothing subjective about that post. Care to elaborate ?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
"In the past", lmfao. Very dangerous in game 2/7, good thing the team was able to stay alive and win without him. Just too bad that he came back for game 7, might have won that too, instead of going out like a fart in the wind.

He had the primary assist on the only goal the Leafs scored that game. Narrative is tired.

Also way to not address the quote which clearly shows he was not "junk" nor a floater

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
1 G (GW), 2 A, +2, 8 shots, 1 BS, 6 hits and 16/23 on FO

Matthews G2 performance makes it hard for me to call him a playoff bust this year ..
odd injury disappearance aside

MacT at the Wheel

Dec 16, 2016
Calgary
McDavid era Oilers are 1-11 vs non-pacific teams in the playoffs, let's see if they can finally get it done outside the division. They only ever won 1 game vs that horrible blackhawks team in the bubble, swept twice. Seems like they do a lot of damage vs the poorer teams in pacific but then struggle pretty badly against the Central.

FYI he has 7 more points in 6 more games playing against much weaker teams, context matters. I don't think he would be putting up those types of numbers if he was playing in the Atlantic in the playoffs. The Pacific has gotten stronger over the last 2 years, but there is a massive difference between playing against teams like Boston, Tampa, Florida vs Pacific, even with Vegas emerging.

Matthews and the Leafs have played against elite teams/goaltenders nearly every year

Holtby, Rask, Rask, Price, Vasi, Vasi, Bobrovsky. Every single one of those guys has won a cup or played in the finals + won a vezina.

The best goalie Edmonton has played against was Helly, who swept them. Every other goalie has been significantly weaker than all the guys mentioned above.
"I don't think he would be putting up those types of numbers if he was playing in the Atlantic in the playoffs. The Pacific has gotten stronger over the last 2 years, but there is a massive difference between playing against teams like Boston, Tampa, Florida vs Pacific, even with Vegas emerging."

7 Points in 4 games against the Avalanche (cup winners that year)
10 Points in 6 games against the Golden Knights (cup winners that year)

So yes, it is fair to say he would put up those types of numbers in the Atlantic.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Rick Nash.

I don’t want to trash the guy because he was a decent Ranger during his time. His post season numbers weren’t that notable.

On an offensively anemic team like the 2014 Cup run Rangers, they really needed him to be “the guy”, but he just couldn’t score. (For those who don’t remember, 3 out of the 5 games went into OT)

That series against the Kings would have played out different -or gone the distance, at least-had he been the offensive threat he usually was during the regular season since Hank was basically carrying that team alone on his back. I’m not sure how much the concussion he sustained affected his play during the Stanley Cup Finals, but they really needed Rick Nash

Reactions: Towers

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
"I don't think he would be putting up those types of numbers if he was playing in the Atlantic in the playoffs. The Pacific has gotten stronger over the last 2 years, but there is a massive difference between playing against teams like Boston, Tampa, Florida vs Pacific, even with Vegas emerging."

7 Points in 4 games against the Avalanche (cup winners that year)
10 Points in 6 games against the Golden Knights (cup winners that year)

So yes, it is fair to say he would put up those types of numbers in the Atlantic.
Strongly disagree, I don't think RNH is going near PPG vs Boston with prime Bergeron + Rask, or vs prime Tampa + prime Vasi, or this Florida team + Bobrovsky, or prime Capitals + prime Holtby

The Avs/Knights goaltending wasn't even remotely comparable to those teams. Colorado won off their offence and offensive depth, Adin Hill was really good on Vegas on their cup run but not anywhere near Vezina level. Vegas did have elite team defence so there's that, maybe it's just me but I don't see RNH producing like that vs the teams I mentiioned.

Also I see RNH had 3 points in 4 games vs Colorado ?

And 7 points in 6 games vs Vegas ?

I assume you thought I was talking about McDavid ? I was talking about RNH.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Strongly disagree, I don't think RNH is going near PPG vs Boston with prime Bergeron + Rask, or vs prime Tampa + prime Vasi, or this Florida team + Bobrovsky, or prime Capitals + prime Holtby

The Avs/Knights goaltending wasn't even remotely comparable to those teams. Colorado won off their offence and offensive depth, Adin Hill was really good on Vegas on their cup run but not anywhere near Vezina level. Vegas did have elite team defence so there's that, maybe it's just me but I don't see RNH producing like that vs the teams I mentiioned.

Also I see RNH had 3 points in 4 games vs Colorado ?

And 7 points in 6 games vs Vegas ?

I assume you thought I was talking about McDavid ? I was talking about RNH.
The fact we’re even having this discussion proves how dissapointing matthews has been in the post season. They’re not the same type of player. If Marner wasn’t there somehow being worse then I think leaf fans would see him more for how he is. The only leaf that elevates/ maintains play has been Nylander and he’s been damn good at it.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The fact we’re even having this discussion proves how dissapointing matthews has been in the post season. They’re not the same type of player. If Marner wasn’t there somehow being worse then I think leaf fans would see him more for how he is. The only leaf that elevates/ maintains play has been Nylander and he’s been damn good at it.
He's definitely been underwhelming there's no arguing that.

I'm just saying, if you're gonna take raw point/goal totals, the level of competition needs to be taken into consideration. No disrespect to the Kings/Flames etc, but if Matthews was playing against them in the playoffs, I feel like his numbers would pretty obviously be much higher.

But it's just silly to make comments like the OP I responded to, when 1 guy is playing against literal vezina, smythe, cup winners and finalists every year and the other guy is playing against 2nd/3rd string goalies on mediocre teams.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
McDavid era Oilers are 1-11 vs non-pacific teams in the playoffs, let's see if they can finally get it done outside the division.
I know toronto fans like to pretend the 2nd round doesn't exist. Let me be clear, McDavid plays to win, unlike Marner and Matthews, they play for respect in the handshake line.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Absolutely true, guy varies from junk to straight up flotsam the closer he gets to elimination. It's like he actively checks out.

Good idea to keep hand waving at the oiler players and hope no one notices how far gone the rot is on the Leafs.
Don't disparage Matthews like that.

It's not a question of 'if' he's going to win a cup. It's a question of 'when', and 'how many'.

;)

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Junk lol

Montgomery

Sounds a lot like "respect in the handshake line". Opposing players and coaches will always say nice things - especially when they win.

Matthews is a great player and he has been ok in the playoffs, but results speak for themselves - he has been just ok and has not elevated his game the way one would hope.

That said it is not the complete disappearing act that Marner pulls.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Aside from Nylander, the entire Leafs team the past 8 years.

Markus Naslund tanks. 52 games, 14 goals and 36 pts. And 14 pts came from 14 games in 2003. So his remaining games are 22 pts in 38 games.

Fellow playoff tanker Bertuzzi too. 87 games, 14 goals and 42 pts. I'll give him some leniency towards the end of his career where he was old on Red Wings. But even in his prime on Vanc and early years on Detroit/Ana/Calgary, he did almost nothing in playoffs.

Nylander has been bad in the playoffs too, he just scores a couple of timely goals here and there to keep the legend alive.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There's a good chance Marner and Matthews would be benched in the playoffs on any other team except the Leafs with their putrid playoff performances.

I have never seen a playoff effort from Auston Matthews that would warrant a benching, in my opinion, but I can't say the same about Marner.

There was a play this year where the puck went around the board behind the Bruins net and Marner quite easily would have been the first man on the puck, deep in the Bruins offensive zone, but he instead pulled up short and changed directions, simply conceding the puck to the Bruins to avoid being hit and they quickly made the outlet and left the zone.

When Marner got back to the bench, I would have told him to head down the hall to the locker room. This guy obviously doesn't want to pay the price to win and there's no way I would let anyone else on my bench think that the level of cowardice and selfishness is acceptable.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Add in

D
Mike Green
Josi
Reed Larson
Numminen
Giordano

G
Jim Carey

Larson?

Larson was great in playoffs in his prime but he played for the dead things so he only played like what? 13-14 games? Then he went to the Bruins when his career was basically over and sucked in the playoffs.

I'd say Numminen is out as bad playoff performer as well but I guess he fits if we look at offense only.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
"Think this"

Think what ? lol those are all facts, there is nothing subjective about that post. Care to elaborate ?
You should learn what "subjective" means. He stated that the oilers were playing "weaker" teams. The Oilers lost the last couple of years to the eventual cup winners. Stating that the teams the Oilers were playing were "weaker" is not only "subjective", it's false. Further to this, even though the Oilers lost to these Stanley cup winning teams, their star players still produced at an elite level, even while badly injured. Drai and McDavid are only behind Gretzky and Lemieux in playoff PPG. They shouldn't even be remotely mentioned in this topic. You want to argue this for the sake of arguing it, go ahead. It only reflects badly on you.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I know he scored 2 goals on my Oilers last night, but Tyler Seguin's career playoff stats are pretty weak. 68 points in 128 games (0.53 pts/game - below guys like Schwartz, Lucic, Saad, Perron, Killorn, Palat, Oshie, Brock Nelson and even below many d-men like Letang, Doughty, Theodore, Carlson, Pietrangelo) is very meh for someone who has a career of >0.8 pts/game in the regular season.

Out of all the active players with more than 50 career playoff points, Seguin ranks 68th out of 72 in points per game. Ouch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad