Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Instead it will probably be .909 Bob or 21 point Barkov. Shameful, especially when going against one of the top performances of the cap era. Hoping that won´t be the case.
Barkov winning compared to the magnificent post season McDavid is putting up would feel like robbery.

But my opinion Barkov this season would be better than anyone on Vegas last year. And equally impressive as Makar the year before.

He just happens to be up against an all time great performance.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Instead it will probably be .909 Bob or 21 point Barkov. Shameful, especially when going against one of the top performances of the cap era. Hoping that won´t be the case.
Mcdavid is likely the correct choice but this is discrediting barkovs performance in the playoffs this year imo. Prior to last game (don’t know the effects on these stats) he was on for like one goal against per series versus opposing teams top lines 5v5. That is insane in its own right. If he wins it he’s, still done a lot to accomplish getting the award.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mcdavid is likely the correct choice but this is discrediting barkovs performance in the playoffs this year imo. Prior to last game (don’t know the effects on these stats) he was on for like one goal against per series versus opposing teams top lines 5v5. That is insane in its own right. If he wins it he’s, still done a lot to accomplish getting the award.
Perhaps, but the guy has 17 more points than Barkov while only playing 1 more game. It's so much harder to produce offense than it is to defend and shut guys down. It's a skill don't get me wrong but producing offense is harder.

McDavid, win or lose, should get it. There's a chance he breaks 40 points. Only Gretzky and Lemieux have done that.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I think the Oilers need more than 1 win in the SCF for McDavid to have a serious shot.
Sure he has a ton of points but he also played LA (12 points) and Vancouver's 3rd string goalie (9 points). Did well against Dallas but they just weren't the same team by round 3. Aside from game 4 he's been just ok in the cup final by his standard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say McDavid's overall performance should earn it for him, but unless Edmonton pushes this to game 7 with McDavid rowing the boat... I doubt he gets it.

Barkov needs to have another big game IMO. He was rather bad in game 4, game 2 wasn't great either. If he had a 2g 2a game in one to close it out, he could climb above.

Bob is much more than .909 sv%. He had a rather poor start to the postseason. He really wasn't good against Tampa and he had a bad game 1 vs Boston. Since that point, he's been as good as you can reasonably ask. He's had a .918 sv% since then (Only Shesterkin has higher), a 1.97 GGA, given up 2 or less goals in 12 of 15 games, has a GSAA/60 of .33... this is even with the game 4 stinker. In this series he is still at a .32 GSAA/60 even with that game.

There is a real argument that this series is tied or 3-1 Edmonton without Bob. He flat out goalied Edmonton in game 1. Game 2 was a clear Panthers win. Game 3 is a toss up with a lean toward Florida. Game 4 clearly was Edmonton. If Bob gives up 1 or less in game 5, the Smythe should be his. Probably even 2 or less.

I think the Oilers need more than 1 win in the SCF for McDavid to have a serious shot.
Sure he has a ton of points but he also played LA (12 points) and Vancouver's 3rd string goalie (9 points). Did well against Dallas but they just weren't the same team by round 3. Aside from game 4 he's been just ok in the cup final by his standard.
I'd argue that McDavid's ability to operate below the goalline offensively was a major reason Dallas didn't perform as well. Dallas tried to implement the same strategies as they did against Colorado... but the Avs didn't have anybody that could break Dallas down low, so they stayed high and outside. McDavid (and Drai) can play down low and create high danger off a simple cycle or in the tight spaces down low.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Perhaps, but the guy has 17 more points than Barkov while only playing 1 more game. It's so much harder to produce offense than it is to defend and shut guys down. It's a skill don't get me wrong but producing offense is harder.

McDavid, win or lose, should get it. There's a chance he breaks 40 points. Only Gretzky and Lemieux have done that.
I don’t disagree at all, just pointing to that post as a bit of discredit to Barkov. Mcdavid has been the best player in these playoffs imo as well but I don’t think it’s a travesty if he doesn’t get it either. I can understand merits to others getting the nod as well, is all I mean.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

Why not Nichushkin then? Highest goals per game of any skater in the entire playoffs with 1.125 goals/game, and had an enormous impact on the course of the Western Conference playoffs. Also, just like McDavid, he will not win the Cup this year.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Why not Nichushkin then? Highest goals per game of any skater in the entire playoffs with 1.125 goals/game, and had an enormous impact on the course of the Western Conference playoffs. Also, just like McDavid, he will not win the Cup this year.
Also Val was more valuable to the Avs than McDavid has been for the Oilers in this playoffs

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barkov has been great. However, he is not playing anywhere near McDavid´s level. That´s not really a dig at Barkov, one guy is just putting on an offensive show and breaking records. This has easily been one of the best runs in the cap era and Barkov can´t compete with that.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Barkov has been great. However, he is not playing anywhere near McDavid´s level. That´s not really a dig at Barkov, one guy is just putting on an offensive show and breaking records. This has easily been one of the best runs in the cap era and Barkov can´t compete with that.
Barkov will be stapled to McDavid's line tonight, shut him down, and hoist the Cup as well as the Conn Smythe.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Anyone else excited to see Divesaitl lose tonight and morph into his final form of Crysaitl? That guy is wholly unlikeable.

I wouldn't hate McDavid winning a cup at some point. I just don't want it to be with Edmonton, because f*** them and their ass fans.

• Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m a McDavid guy but the Conn Smythe talk needs to chill. Some are putting caveats in there about the series going long but others aren’t. He shouldn’t get a single vote if this ends in 5 or 6. Don’t care what his numbers are.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m a McDavid guy but the Conn Smythe talk needs to chill. Some are putting caveats in there about the series going long but others aren’t. He shouldn’t get a single vote if this ends in 5 or 6. Don’t care what his numbers are.
Yup I agree. He only gets the Smytheif it goes to 7 and he gets like 6-9 points in the process.

Reactions: Avs_19

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
lol the talk on the radio here in Sask is if the Oilers win tonight they're winning the series.
What could go wrong?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why shouldn't he? The guy is blowing everyone away statistically and might do something only the two greatest players of all time have ever done.

If that's not Conn Smythe worthy I don't know what is.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO for the chance to be significant McDavid has to get to 40 points and the Oilers push it to 6 games. If neither of those happen, while he's probably earned it, it isn't realistic.

If McDavid gets to say 46 points and the series goes 7, the Smythe is very likely his regardless of the outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad