Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They got beat up a bit in the Avs series with some of the Avs physicality. Multiple guys are probably playing through injuries now.
I don’t agree with this. I think Co wore Dallas down a ton. Tanev, Seguin and Duchene are looking winded constantly. I think the Avs got a few licks in too. Edmonton has had LA and Vancouver.
So you guys are saying if Oilers win the cup, they have to share it with the Avs?

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I don’t agree with this. I think Co wore Dallas down a ton. Tanev, Seguin and Duchene are looking winded constantly. I think the Avs got a few licks in too. Edmonton has had LA and Vancouver.

It can be true that Colorado got a few licks in and Dallas doesn't belong on the ice with Edmonton.

Or maybe there's something else you disagree with. In which case you're wrong. Because I'm always right. Or at least I never admit to being incorrect. Which is the same thing.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’d rather see Edmonton move on. I think the Panthers/Rangers would have an easier time with them than Dallas

I don't care too much, but I'd prefer to see Edmonton win.

I hate when great players don't win a Cup, or it become a thing because they haven't won late in their career. Would be a bummer if McDavid never wins. Just get it out of the way now.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
They got beat up a bit in the Avs series with some of the Avs physicality. Multiple guys are probably playing through injuries now.
I actually liked how Colton Wood Trenin Duhaime tried to play.

Last season Bednar got a pass from me since beyond the top 5 forwards we had marginal fourth liners at best.

This season I think he had the horses to roll four lines that can contribute. Especially physically to wear down an opponent. Instead he rose the top line into the ground and the top guys were gassed by the end of it.

Depth wasn't the reason the Avs lost to Dallas. And I'll keep saying that over and over. It was the top or the lineup that didn't deliver.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like I'll sound like an Oiler fan but that was an incredibly poorly officiated hockey game.

How tf are PPs 5-1 for Dallas and the only call you make against them is a too many men call by the linesmen?

On top of that seemingly kicking every Oilers center out of the faceoff circle but giving Stars centers the 2nd opportunity to take it. At one point Ryan McLeod starting barking at the linesman the entire shift for kicking him out and shortly after Draisaitl gave him a laughing head shake in the O-zone.

McDavid doesn't get called for high sticking Duchene if he's not being held the entire time.

Just an incredibly poorly officiated game that the Oilers managed to overcome. Dallas STINKS on home ice. Idk what it is but that team cannot play on home ice. Tf they fight so hard for it?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I feel like I'll sound like an Oiler fan but that was an incredibly poorly officiated hockey game.

How tf are PPs 5-1 for Dallas and the only call you make against them is a too many men call by the linesmen?

On top of that seemingly kicking every Oilers center out of the faceoff circle but giving Stars centers the 2nd opportunity to take it. At one point Ryan McLeod starting barking at the linesman the entire shift for kicking him out and shortly after Draisaitl gave him a laughing head shake in the O-zone.

McDavid doesn't get called for high sticking Duchene if he's not being held the entire time.

Just an incredibly poorly officiated game that the Oilers managed to overcome. Dallas STINKS on home ice. Idk what it is but that team cannot play on home ice. Tf they fight so hard for it?
Just like the Avs. Garbage at home in the playoffs since the run.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I still think Dallas will win the series. They’ve lost all the game ones since god knows when

Reactions: Zolik37

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually liked how Colton Wood Trenin Duhaime tried to play.

Last season Bednar got a pass from me since beyond the top 5 forwards we had marginal fourth liners at best.

This season I think he had the horses to roll four lines that can contribute. Especially physically to wear down an opponent. Instead he rose the top line into the ground and the top guys were gassed by the end of it.

Depth wasn't the reason the Avs lost to Dallas. And I'll keep saying that over and over. It was the top or the lineup that didn't deliver.

Yeah, even though the 3rd line was very inconsistent this year, you could see in their minutes all the time, they weren't being played enough.

It was absolutely the top lines that were the difference though. Specifically Nate and Mikko. Mikko wasn't focused all year, and Nate either had an adrenaline dump after his regular season he couldn't recover from, or something going on his personal life, because he looked entirely different.

If you really want to break it down further, Benn outplayed Nate, and that might have been the difference. Not just slightly in production, but just his overall impact on the series. He generated more momentum for his team with his physicality and his presence.

Especially early on, and that's when the Avs lost the series. They put themselves in too big a hole, and left no margin for error. Winning three in a row against Dallas in the playoffs is a very tall task.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I’d rather see Edmonton move on. I think the Panthers/Rangers would have an easier time with them than Dallas

I think the best remaining timeline is for Edmonton to lose in the WCF again, and for Dallas to lose in the SCF again. It's time for Florida to get their first cup.

I have no doubt Dallas will advance. IDK what is going on with their curse with game 1s.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Refestars

Reactions: The Moops

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia

The Stars not getting called for anything is nothing new. The Avs had the least amount of PPs of all the teams in Round 2 and the Stars-Avs series had by far the least amount of PPs of all the four Round 2 series.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The refs are terrified of Peter DeBoer. It's pathetic. If the calls were evened out a little more I guarantee you he'd be whining his arse off at the podium. But hey can't blame the guy because every time he does that, he magically gets the calls to go his way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm very biased against the Oilers.. but would you say that they would be the worst roster constructed team in a while to win the cup?
Absolutely not… two superstar centers, high end shut down D, young defensemen coming into his own, grit with skill.. outside the net, that team isn’t horrible at all.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm very biased against the Oilers.. but would you say that they would be the worst roster constructed team in a while to win the cup?
Would be similar to when the Pens won without Letang imo. Granted they had Kessel running the 3rd line at a Smythe level but their defense wasn’t nearly as good as Edmontons currently. Forward core is certainly similar though being carried by two high end C’s.

Ian Cole
Brian Dumoulin
Trevor Daley
Ron Hainsey
Justin Schultz

Oilers defense is:
Mattias Ekholm
Evan Bouchard
Darnell Nurse
Cody Ceci
Brett Kulak
Vincent Desharnais