Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Is New York being slept on right now? Undefeated so far these playoffs

Carolina with that 2 powerplay-goals against basically killed themselve yesterday.... I have never seen such a poor PK in the playoffs.

The Rangers won the presidents trophy. So no, no one i sleeping on them. Washington was just no match for them or anyone in Round 1. Carolina, if they can stop this dumb penalties, will give them a run for the money.

Florida-Rangers is still my final in the east.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is New York being slept on right now? Undefeated so far these playoffs but I dont see many picking them to win it all. Seems Florida, Edmonton and Dallas getting the love.
IMO they are the 2nd best team in the East and if Florida has some injuries, wouldn’t shock me to see the Rags beat Florida. Rags will dismantle Carolina with ease. Lavi may not be the flashiest coach, but damn does he get results.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Cup to Vegas.jpeg

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Cassidy is f*** head.

He was complaining in the postgame about how they didn’t have a lot of time to prepare with all the guys coming back from injury.

You dumb f***, do you not realize how much of an advantage you had being that much over the cap?
I didn't watch the presser but are you f***ing me.

You manipulated the salary cap to be what 16M over, and you manipulated your 1st round opponent by purposely throwing a home game to Anaheim the last game of the season.

And you have the balls to say the team didn't have enough time to prepare? Sorry, not sorry, the fake injuries and LTIR ploy didn't pay off this time.

f*** right off, maybe if they just played instead of looking for every possible way to cheat/manipulate the system maybe things would work out better for them.

They got what they deserved Dallas out played them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IMO they are the 2nd best team in the East and if Florida has some injuries, wouldn’t shock me to see the Rags beat Florida. Rags will dismantle Carolina with ease. Lavi may not be the flashiest coach, but damn does he get results.
If Carolina had the firepower they'd destroy the Rangers at even strength. But year in, year out, they eventually run into a team that absolutely annihilates them on special teams. Last year IIRC that was Tampa, this year it'll be the Rangers.

Also, Freddie let in the softest of soft goals that stood as the game-winner. If it's a goalie duel, once again the Canes got no shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If Carolina had the firepower they'd destroy the Rangers at even strength. But year in, year out, they eventually run into a team that absolutely annihilates them on special teams. Last year IIRC that was Tampa, this year it'll be the Rangers.

Also, Freddie let in the softest of soft goals that stood as the game-winner. If it's a goalie duel, once again the Canes got no shot.
That’s like saying if Edmonton had defense or Toronto had depth. ;)

Carolina is a collection of good players but nobody elite. The system also doesn’t lend itself to a guy just taking over a game.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That’s like saying if Edmonton had defense or Toronto had depth. ;)

Carolina is a collection of good players but nobody elite. The system also doesn’t lend itself to a guy just taking over a game.
"Firepower" is just another way of saying they don't have a gamebreaker. That's been their Achilles' heel for a while now. If they had another Mr. Game 7, maybe they could get away with it, but he's long since gone.

I've thought for a while now that Dundon will eventually run the Canes into the ground, I think Step One already happened (the Kotkaniemi offer sheet), Step Two will be letting Rod the Bod walk.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Going back to the "President's Trophy Curse":

So the argument definitely can be made that it's not really worth getting, but that doesn't mean there's a curse. It just doesn't give you a massive advantage in the postseason.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There is no President's Trophy curse. Rather win one than not.

Hockey is just full of randomness, unlike some major sports. A much weaker team can get a result even if they are outplayed. It´s one of the things that keeps me interested, it´s such a bore to watch Real Madrid or some team like that win everything constantly.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I do think a lot of Vegas' "looking awful" is due to them going through the short Cup-winning offseason akin to the Avs last year.

HOWEVER, in seven years they were able to take their entire team and make it look so slow. Hertl, though is a great player, is not someone who increases their speed. Stone is already too damaged and was never really a strong skater. Eichel was never a fast skater himself. In all of their top 9, there are 3-4 players who I would classify as players who can skate and actually get around as Marchessault, Karlsson, Stephenson, and Amadio. Guess what? there is a chance they might lose 1-2 of those blokes due to the Hertl contract.

Then if you look at their defence, it doesn't get any better with Pietrangelo, Martinez, and McNabb all being slow skaters. Hanifin at least looked great.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is no President's Trophy curse. Rather win one than not.

Hockey is just full of randomness, unlike some major sports. A much weaker team can get a result even if they are outplayed. It´s one of the things that keeps me interested, it´s such a bore to watch Real Madrid or some team like that win everything constantly.

Avs in 2022 let up near the end of the year there and didn't go all out to snag the Prez, which I have no problem with whatsoever. It's not worth going all out for 80-82 games to secure. But if you can get it without breaking your team, then do it.

President's Trophy means Regular Season Champs Banner.
TWO banners if you're Nashville.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015

So the argument definitely can be made that it's not really worth getting, but that doesn't mean there's a curse. It just doesn't give you a massive advantage in the postseason.

Maybe this is a common knowledge but it has occurred to me just recently - the Stanley Cup winning team is not necessarily the best team in the league. I find that absolutely bewildering.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
winning a cup is a marathon not a sprint this includes regular season and offseason too

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe this is a common knowledge but it has occurred to me just recently - the Stanley Cup winning team is not necessarily the best team in the league. I find that absolutely bewildering.

Yeah. Hockey is unique in that they have a playoffs that is so very different than the regular season, more so than any other professional sport. It's also a game that's so prone to random bounces and fluke occurrences. And in no other sport can you get goalie'd like you can in hockey.

More often than not it's a good/great team that gets hot at exactly the right time and doesn't have a ton of bad luck with injuries.

Reactions: HugeMetalFan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Teams pushing way too hard to win home ice and burning themselves out over a long season is a real problem.

On the other hand I'm not sure how many cup winners are on the road for three or four series. Probably few if any (maybe the Kings?).

Unless you're a top 6ish team in the regular season your odds of winning the cup can't be good?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I do think a lot of Vegas' "looking awful" is due to them going through the short Cup-winning offseason akin to the Avs last year.

HOWEVER, in seven years they were able to take their entire team and make it look so slow. Hertl, though is a great player, is not someone who increases their speed. Stone is already too damaged and was never really a strong skater. Eichel was never a fast skater himself. In all of their top 9, there are 3-4 players who I would classify as players who can skate and actually get around as Marchessault, Karlsson, Stephenson, and Amadio. Guess what? there is a chance they might lose 1-2 of those blokes due to the Hertl contract.

Then if you look at their defence, it doesn't get any better with Pietrangelo, Martinez, and McNabb all being slow skaters. Hanifin at least looked great.
I think Eichel is a tremendous skater even if it looks funny at times.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Eichel is a tremendous skater even if it looks funny at times.
I never said he's bad, all I wrote is that he's not fast and I truly do not believe he is fast, but that isn't his game. His entire game is always slowing the game down to his level and making nice flick passes or accurate shots (which he's beastly at).

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah. Hockey is unique in that they have a playoffs that is so very different than the regular season, more so than any other professional sport. It's also a game that's so prone to random bounces and fluke occurrences. And in no other sport can you get goalie'd like you can in hockey.

More often than not it's a good/great team that gets hot at exactly the right time and doesn't have a ton of bad luck with injuries.
And to add to this, you’re ultimately facing against only 4 teams of the 31 available. So being able to beat those 4 specific isn’t the same as beating them all.
And then add the fact that you could be facing 4 teams who aren’t at their peak at the specific time you face them. When we won our cup, both Draisaitl and Point were legitimately on one leg/foot.

Reactions: HugeMetalFan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I never said he's bad, all I wrote is that he's not fast and I truly do not believe he is fast, but that isn't his game. His entire game is always slowing the game down to his level and making nice flick passes or accurate shots (which he's beastly at).
I think he plays that way intentionally. When he needs to ramp up the speed, though, he can fly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad