Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Leafs will trade one of their top forwards just to do "something", but that's not what their problem is. It'd be like Oilers trading McDavid or Draisaitl. Though at least the Leafs might get a good player back, but if not then it's just making the team straight up worse.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Leafs will trade one of their top forwards just to do "something", but that's not what their problem is. It'd be like Oilers trading McDavid or Draisaitl. Though at least the Leafs might get a good player back, but if not then it's just making the team straight up worse.
IMO if the Leafs were to approach, say, the Arizona Coyotes and ask for Lawson Crouse, Mattias Maccelli, and Sean Durzi I believe it could make them a much deeper squad:

Knies - Matthews - Crouse
Maccelli - Tavares - Nylander
Cowan - Kampf - Jarnkrok
McMann - Holmberg - UFA

Reilly - Durzi
McCabe - UFA
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
UFA

They sign Durzi to something like 6M AAV and they still have almost 14M to upgrade the roster with a 2nd pair RHD, a top-nine forward to push Kampf down to the 4th line, etc.

So while it might be too explosive of a move, I think moving Marner has the potential to make Toronto a better overall team. We talk about moving Mikko hypothetically to keep the depth but knowing the Avs they will re-sign Mikko and try to fix depth at the TDL.

Toronto, though, has a unique opportunity to improve the rest of their roster while keeping three of their core-four up front in prominent roles and allowing for the internal growth of Knies and Cowan.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is literally Mark Stone's wife...

zKh7YWK.png
Meh, I'm actually fine with that banter. Remember Kucherov with the 18m over the cap and Kadri with the Too many men shirts?

Rub it in, it will get people more annoyed and maybe eventually something is done about it.

I mean the only way they can improve the rest of the roster is getting rid of a top forward.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Leafs are in a bind because Marner won't take a paycut on his next deal and holds all the cards.

Avs are in a similar situation with Rantanen, but there the previous contract starts with 9 and not 11.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
1 shot 1 goal

Feels like we see that all the time in the NHL these days

Edit: 2 shots 2 goals :laugh:

Reactions: Bensch88

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes they did

Can anyone Tell me why the Avs didnt draft Slavin? I mean hes a Colorado native and so on. After a quick look the 2012 draft was a complete disaster
When have we ever drafted good beyond the 1st round?

Reactions: Bensch88

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
IMO if the Leafs were to approach, say, the Arizona Coyotes and ask for Lawson Crouse, Mattias Maccelli, and Sean Durzi I believe it could make them a much deeper squad:

Knies - Matthews - Crouse
Maccelli - Tavares - Nylander
Cowan - Kampf - Jarnkrok
McMann - Holmberg - UFA

Reilly - Durzi
McCabe - UFA
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
UFA

They sign Durzi to something like 6M AAV and they still have almost 14M to upgrade the roster with a 2nd pair RHD, a top-nine forward to push Kampf down to the 4th line, etc.

So while it might be too explosive of a move, I think moving Marner has the potential to make Toronto a better overall team. We talk about moving Mikko hypothetically to keep the depth but knowing the Avs they will re-sign Mikko and try to fix depth at the TDL.

Toronto, though, has a unique opportunity to improve the rest of their roster while keeping three of their core-four up front in prominent roles and allowing for the internal growth of Knies and Cowan.
Timmins is not a good player. They don't seem to be too high on him in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad