Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Imagine trading away Sergachev, letting Stamkos walk because they don't want to "overpay" him by a mil or two, then signing Jake Guentzel to a 7x year deal lol

So is clearing $11M in cap and NOT increasing your offer considered disrespectful now?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Better 5v5, but not necessarily a better player.

I think he's better 5v5, but Stamkos brings enough to the table that it's very debatable that he's the better player.
Stamkos is better 5 on 4 pp is still the best in the business .

5 on 5 Jake is a better player then stamkos

Advantage is Jake is younger but there close

Imagine trading away Sergachev, letting Stamkos walk because they don't want to "overpay" him by a mil or two, then signing Jake Guentzel to a 7x year deal lol
It wouldn’t shock me if JBB traded for his rights

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Stamkos is better 5 on 4 pp is still the best in the business .

5 on 5 Jake is a better player then stamkos

Advantage is Jake is younger but there close

It wouldn’t shock me if JBB traded for his rights
If the bridges are burn he will because tanev got traded too. Worst but best option sign and trade so we add extra year of stammer for a team while get a prospect/draft capital.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I don't think it's the emotion. I think it's more like, if we lost in the first round with him, how much worse are we without?

The problem is less about losing Stamkos than it is there doesn't seem to be an actual plan to improve the team.

Looks like there is a plan..

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
JBB makes this sound like he's offered Stamkos the best possible deal and he still wants to test free agency.
That's not how I took it. I took it as "this is our best offer and what we think you're valued at. We also think there's better on the market."

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
How are you all going to feel when we sign Jake Guentzel for more than Stamkos signs for?
You mean when we sign the 4 and a half years younger, known playoff performer, 5v5 awesome player Guetzel? I'll be ecstatic. Obviously he'll come in at a far higher price than Stammer.

It's sad if we can't sign Stammer, but his 40 G this season don't mask his obvious regression in his even strenght game, as well as his positive impact outside of the powerplay.
JBB is putting aside emotionally re-signing a franchise player in order to find a way to ice the best team he can in October. I can respect that. Too many GMs fall in the trap of gifting out one last contract to way too higher numbers, which impacts negatively (one way or another)on the future of their team.

Obviously, that comes with a risk: will we find a decent replacement for Stammer? What if Guentzel signs elsewhere? Who do you bring in with 16.5M cap space that puts you in a better spot than having 12.5M cap space to spend + Stammer? Difficult to say, but with today's trades JBB proved to me he's on the right track to do the retool I wanted to see him do.

Let him cook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crunchrulz

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sounds more and more like management doesn’t really want Stamkos back. If they really want to keep somebody they make it happen, see the latest reports of a Hedman extension being in the works.

That said, who knows if the $3M per year offer that’s circulating was the best offer so far. Stamkos can test the market and still make a deal happen in Tampa too.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
You mean when we sign the 4 and a half years younger, known playoff performer, 5v5 awesome player Guetzel? I'll be ecstatic. Obviously he'll come in at a far higher price than Stammer.

It's sad if we can't sign Stammer, but his 40 G this season don't mask his obvious regression in his even strenght game, as well as his positive impact outside of the powerplay.
JBB is putting aside emotionally resigning a franchise player in order to find a way to ice the best team he can in October. I can respect that.

Obviously, that comes with a risk: will we find a decent replacement for Stammer? What if Guentzel signs elsewhere? Who do you bring in with 16.5M cap space that puts you in a better spot than having 12.5M cap space to spend + Stammer? Difficult to say, but with today's trades JBB proved to me he's on the right track to do the retool I wanted to see him do.

Let him cook.
I love how some just casually toss around shit like "eh, we'll miss the 40Gs but..." lol

Hilarious

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
JBB makes this sound like he's offered Stamkos the best possible deal and he still wants to test free agency.
Exactly

1719698058451.png

This is lawyer drivel. The highlighted is a conflation of the facts and a projection of JBB's feelings, not Stamkos's. JBB wants to see what is out there, not Stamkos. If you wanted to sign Stamkos you would have offered him a real deal now that short term cap space is available. Stamkos doesn't want to test the market for fun, you're forcing him out. Asshole

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
without kucherov in the 2021 season we still had the 9th best PP in the league. if stamkos is gone it will hurt but we will figure out a way for the PP to still be a strength. most of the game is played at 5v5 so guentzel will be way more valuable either way

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This is lawyer drivel. The highlighted is a conflation of the facts and a projection of JBB's feelings, not Stamkos's. JBB wants to see what is out there, not Stamkos. If you wanted to sign Stamkos you would have offered him a real deal now that short term cap space is available. Stamkos doesn't want to test the market for fun, you're forcing him out. Asshole
100% correct

without kucherov in the 2021 season we still had the 9th best PP in the league. if stamkos is gone it will hurt but we will figure out a way for the PP to still be a strength. most of the game is played at 5v5 so guentzel will be way more valuable either way
Kind of a weird statement considering Stamkos was the one carrying us that season

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lmao what? C'mon now...

Come on what? Guentzel is also injury prone, also isn't some stellar defensive forward. Nearly identical ppg's, Stamkos is one of the best faceoff guys in the league. Saying he's clearly better than Stamkos is simply untrue.

Yeah 5v5 is played more than PP, but that doesn't matter at all. Goals in vs goals out is what matters

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Far from it, emotion is keeping Stamkos at market value or above it for the sake of keeping Stamkos, idiocy is letting a 40 goal scorer walk for sub 5M, surely even you can put that together.

Hurr Durr 40 goals!any 10 year old can look a stat sheet bud. really think he’s going to keep scoring 40? Think he’s great at ES? Almost like we can sign a better player with the cap space we just cleared.

this group think / outrage is f***ing hilarious

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hurr Durr 40 goals!any 10 year old can look a stat sheet bud. really think he’s going to keep scoring 40? Think he’s great at ES? Almost like we can sign a better player with the cap space we just cleared.

We aren't signing anybody for 4m who's going to score 40g's and win 56% of faceoffs

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021

Its a somewhat normal emotional reaction to a face-of-a-franchise player potentially leaving…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad