Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
3m over 8 years front loaded for four years looks like this

5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
Retires
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)

Pretty insulting when some team is likely offering you 9m on a short term deal
So hes retiring after his age 38 season?

Honestly I think this was a pretty good offer. They're offering a 34 year old term until 42, and I can understand them wanting to offer this now - by avoiding it being an over 35 contract they avoid some other issues. They can front load it or bonus it out in some unique ways, but it isn't a bad offer.

That said, I find it hard to believe they're coming up short with one another over just money, especially only a million. Something doesn't smell right.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Reactions: Outl4w

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
8 x 3m is an insult if it’s true. I get the angle but you’re basically asking him to either play out the full 8 years or have a career ending injury to make his money.

3m over 8 years front loaded for four years looks like this

5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
Retires
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)

Pretty insulting when some team is likely offering you 9m on a short term deal

I don’t think this is even legal. There’s a limit on how much salary can drop year-over-year.

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Only if we can buyout one of sheary or trade jeannot we won't need to worry OH WAIT WE CAN STUPID ASS HAT JBB. if you buy your own player out can you technically re sign them or no?

Reactions: Outl4w

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I don’t think this is even legal. There’s a limit on how much salary can drop year-over-year.
It isn’t legal. That guy is literally talking out of his ass.

The highest and lowest year cannot exceed a 60% variance. The variance of the 1st year of contract and any adjacent year can’t exceed 25%.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

The highest and lowest year cannot exceed a 60% variance. The variance of the 1st year of contract and any adjacent year can’t exceed 25%.

RSchmitz is cool, I think the post is just to illustrate the best case scenario for Stamkos financially which isn’t even that great and to our point, not legal.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So hes retiring after his age 38 season?

Honestly I think this was a pretty good offer. They're offering a 34 year old term until 42, and I can understand them wanting to offer this now - by avoiding it being an over 35 contract they avoid some other issues. They can front load it or bonus it out in some unique ways, but it isn't a bad offer.

That said, I find it hard to believe they're coming up short with one another over just money, especially only a million. Something doesn't smell right.

A million, over 8 years.

JBB offered 3m and Stamkos's camp wants 4.5m. That's a 50% difference in where they are at, that's huge.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

JFC, I'm just trying to illustrate a point that we can front load the bulk of the deal over four years. I know the structure is more complicated than that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you go back to 2016 Stammer was ready to test free agency then, and Yzerman stuck to his guns and was going to let him go.

Stammer met with the Leafs, the mayor of Toronto, and CEO of Canadian Tire on June 28th. According to Lebrun, Montreal, Buffalo, and a fourth team got to make in person pitches that week as well.

Stammer agreed to re-sign with the Lightning June 29th in the afternoon.

So, who knows what will happen, but as history shows there's still time to change things.
We also made him the team's highest paid player and, to this day, haven't paid anyone more than 1m more. In hindsight, the deal turned out to be fair.

This is a whole different thing.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Hopefully JBB finds an ace up his sleeve during the draft and before free agency hits to make a trade to find some cap to make this deep better specially in the bottom 6 and resign Stamkos.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

So you're saying it's an even bigger insult?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we offered 3x8 and Stamkos wants 4 or 5M depending on term I'm assuming 4x6 or 5x5. So all in all he wants around 25M to stick around. We should be able to go up to 3.5x8 which gets him 28M. Nobody expects him to play out those last couple of years so we can LTIR the last 2 years, with his injury history shouldn't be a problem, and he gets his money and we get cap relief. If he's healthy we can buy him out.

We would need to avoid doing signing bonuses for it. We could structure it to where it's not completely front loaded but more like a pendulum so when we buy him out he gets a nicer severance at the end.

He gets 19.8 the first 6 years and with a buyout. Then he gets 6.7M after the buyout so he gets 26.5 in total cash for the contract. If you buy him out after 5 he gets 16.7M while playing and then 10.2M for the buyout so a total of 26.9M so he's making out well. And structuring it that way instead of front loaded or bonus heavy will make the buyout penalty much better for us.

Reactions: Zwui21

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we offered 3x8 and Stamkos wants 4 or 5M depending on term I'm assuming 4x6 or 5x5. So all in all he wants around 25M to stick around. We should be able to go up to 3.5x8 which gets him 28M. Nobody expects him to play out those last couple of years so we can LTIR the last 2 years, with his injury history shouldn't be a problem, and he gets his money and we get cap relief. If he's healthy we can buy him out.

We would need to avoid doing signing bonuses for it. We could structure it to where it's not completely front loaded but more like a pendulum so when we buy him out he gets a nicer severance at the end.

He gets 19.8 the first 6 years and with a buyout. Then he gets 6.7M after the buyout so he gets 26.5 in total cash for the contract. If you buy him out after 5 he gets 16.7M while playing and then 10.2M for the buyout so a total of 26.9M so he's making out well. And structuring it that way instead of front loaded or bonus heavy will make the buyout penalty much better for us.
The problem is Stamkos always wants signing bonuses in his contracts it blocks the lightning from a future buyout

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The problem is Stamkos always wants signing bonuses in his contracts it blocks the lightning from a future buyout

He's going to have compromise one way or the other. Either he waves the signing bonuses or he takes less AAV for term, he can't have both. And you can't fault BriseBois if Stamkos isn't willing to compromise. I'm sure the total dollars of the deal aren't the issue with BriseBois it's how to structure it and most likely it's Stamkos side that wants it their way. You can do some signing bonus in the deal but it can't be like his last deal which was 60M in bonuses and just 8M in salary.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Say Stamkos signs for 4.5 and Sheary gets bought out with no one biting on the trade bait we are offering

Doesn't that leave appx 2.9 to fill out four roster spots?

Interesting and worrying that we are on track to repeat last season with a roster that is one year older made up of a high-priced handful of players supported by cast offs from other organizations and players who should be getting experience in the AHL vice NHL.

But if that is what the majority of the fan base wants, that is what the fan base deserves.

Reactions: RLP55

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Say Stamkos signs for 4.5 and Sheary gets bought out with no one biting on the trade bait we are offering

Doesn't that leave appx 2.9 to fill out four roster spots?

Interesting and worrying that we are on track to repeat last season with a roster that is one year older made up of a high-priced handful of players supported by cast offs from other organizations and players who should be getting experience in the AHL vice NHL.

But if that is what the majority of the fan base wants, that is what the fan base deserv
What are the other options?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
3m? That’s not an offer, that’s an insult.

There’s something off. Why would we not want to sign a 40 goal scorer who wants to sign for relatively cheap, who has been the face of the franchise and shown loyalty and leadership since he came into the league? Why would we just… want to move on? Doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: flying squirrel

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
J
3m? That’s not an offer, that’s an insult.

There’s something off. Why would we not want to sign a 40 goal scorer who wants to sign for relatively cheap, who has been the face of the franchise and shown loyalty and leadership since he came into the league? Why would we just… want to move on? Doesn’t make sense.
JBB doesn’t want Stamkos here it’s that simple that’s why they low balled him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad