Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I am going to equate our offer to the equivalent of 7.25mx4 years

How many teams out there are easily beating that? Probably a few, but I think it's competitive at least.

Again however, JBB has only offered 3m. At 3m it's a really bad offer.
Stamkos probably gets offered other teams 4 years 7 to 9 AAV probably easy

How the hell is your choice to keep Tanner jeannot over Stamkos ? WTH ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am going to equate our offer to the equivalent of 7.25mx4 years

How many teams out there are easily beating that? Probably a few, but I think it's competitive at least. Maybe Nashville.

Again however, JBB has only offered 3m. At 3m it's a really bad offer.
Right. The report is Stamkos wanted, let's just say 4.5 for simplicity's sake.

I mean, I guess JBB still has a couple of more days to sign it. If he really is just trying to get a better price. But if Stamkos ends up walking because we refused to pay him < 5m per year, here at the obvious end of our cup window? To me, you combine that with the Jeannot trade, and it's fireable.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Right. The report is Stamkos wanted, let's just say 4.5 for simplicity's sake.

I mean, I guess JBB still has a couple of more days to sign it. If he really is just trying to get a better price. But if Stamkos ends up walking because we refused to pay him < 5m per year, here at the obvious end of our cup window? To me, you combine that with the Jeannot trade, and it's fireable.

I'm with you, this isn't a deal you should position yourself to make or force onto your team captain.

I'm just being honest with how I view the offer, It's not nothing. Making it an 8 year deal is huge, 5m is actually quite a bit for what value he'll bring us over that time, if it's front loaded that's 9.25m over 4 years, not team friendly at all. 4m or whatever however is a nice sweet spot.

Reactions: Meuracas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I could see 9x2, 8x3, 7x4, maybe a little more. I think our offer is competitive to those
I don't think it's comparable with 9x2, because Stamkos at 36 is still likely good enough for another big deal under a cap that's closing in on 100m.

I mean... our offer was 3m. I think you're basing this more on Stamkos's reported ask than our actual offer.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't think it's comparable with 9x2, because Stamkos at 36 is still likely good enough for another big deal under a cap that's closing in on 100m.

I mean... our offer was 3m. I think you're basing this more on Stamkos's reported ask than our actual offer.

I'm talking about front loading the contract so Stamkos gets the vast majority of the money he would have gotten over the life of the contract w/o having to actually plays those games.

Reactions: J T Money

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
3m over 8 years front loaded for four years looks like this

5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
Retires
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)

Pretty insulting when some team is likely offering you 9m on a short term deal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I get that, but at 3m, it still doesn't get to that kind of number.
I mean, maybe he's going extra hard to try to shave as many pennies off as he can? And hoping Stamkos's ties to the team and the city don't make him just say "fxxx this guy" and leave?

lol, I'm not sure how I feel about that if that's the plan.

I guess what it comes down to is, if we actually lose Stamkos, in this exact situation (as opposed to something out of our control, or just too tough to make happen), all faith in JBB should be lost. There is no reason why this shouldn't get done.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
3m over 8 years front loaded for four years looks like this

5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
5.25m
Retires
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)
750k(4.5m cap hit)

Pretty insulting when some team is likely offering you 9m on a short term deal
Why is there penalty’s ? He is under 35 years old

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're probably right about this. The leak makes JBB look awful. Almost certainly came from Stamkos's side.
It absolutely did. Everyone's been Don Meehan's mouth piece all day. All JFBB can do at this point is say "I guess there's no deal" and hope it is enough leverage to squeeze out a deal

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
So the window to win is NOW. Stamkos is a decent sized piece of that puzzle.

Edit: And I don't want to have to update my avatar.

Reactions: gn2007

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It absolutely did. Everyone's been Don Meehan's mouth piece all day. All JFBB can do at this point is say "I guess there's no deal" and hope it is enough leverage to squeeze out a deal
I wouldn't have even been opposed to trading him at the TDL if we were so unwilling to bring him back (...offering him 3m). The thing that makes this so terrible is we are losing him for nothing, and we still won't have the money to adequately replace him without making a move. At least not at the price we could have paid to bring him back.

Reactions: dbieon12

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If you go back to 2016 Stammer was ready to test free agency then, and Yzerman stuck to his guns and was going to let him go.

Stammer met with the Leafs, the mayor of Toronto, and CEO of Canadian Tire on June 28th. According to Lebrun, Montreal, Buffalo, and a fourth team got to make in person pitches that week as well.

Stammer agreed to re-sign with the Lightning June 29th in the afternoon.

So, who knows what will happen, but as history shows there's still time to change things.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
from The Athletic:
And again, I don’t know exact numbers being exchanged, but go back to what I know Tampa Bay tried to do to keep Alex Killorn last July 1 before he signed in Anaheim. The Lightning offered Killorn an eight-year deal with a $2.5 million AAV. He instead signed for four years at a $6.25 million AAV with the Ducks. But the concept for Tampa was to get the total dollars to Killorn at $20 million.

So I think the Lightning have done something similar here with Stamkos, though obviously higher than $2.5 million. My guess is around $3 million or so over eight years. But that’s not going to cut it. I would imagine Newport Sports would want something closer to $4 million to $5 million per year depending on how long the term is.

Either way, I certainly don’t believe Stamkos is being unreasonable. He really, really wants to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad