Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 41.0%

• Total voters

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This isn't 2016. The Lightning do not have cap space, and the GM isn't hiding the fact that no moves will be made to create it.
We lowballed him last time but still made him the highest paid player on the team, and it was more about the team's internal cap structure -- To this day, no one has gotten a contract more than 1m higher. So, in hindsight, it was a pretty fair deal.

Where is all this talk of 3m coming from? Is that a thing that actually happened? EDIT: Found it.

Reactions: gn2007

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I just don’t understand why Brisbois doesn’t want to get rid of Sheary and Jeannot?

Because he doesn't want to overpay for a guy he doesn't wanna keep anyways

We lowballed him last time but still made him the highest paid player on the team, and it was more about the team's internal cap structure -- To this day, no one has gotten a contract more than 1m higher. So, in hindsight, it was a pretty fair deal.

Where is all this talk of 3m coming from? Is that a thing that actually happened?

Lebron says we offered him 3mx8yrs while his camp wants between 4 and 5

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
WOW! So he did actually go with the 8 year offer

Look, this is actually much closer than I thought. IDK about 5m but if Stamkos is willing to take 4m than JBB HAS to make it happen.

If JBB offers Stamkos 4mx8yrs and Stamkos turns it down, he's forgiven. That is an honest offer IMO. Stamkos probably isn't going to see 30m offered on his next deal.

That's not even close to honest. Stamkos will easily get 8M by either 3 or 4 years on his next deal on the market guaranteeing himself 20-30m in half that time. That 30m is only guaranteed if he plays out the entire 8 years. Anything less than 7m per year is Stamkos doing this team a solid, 5M is just ridiculous steal.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Where is all this talk of 3m coming from? Is that a thing that actually happened?
IMG_4985.png

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
OMG he should be fired right now.

If this wasn't done last fxxxing week with a 40 goal scorer asking for under 5m? Fire him. Now.

An absolute joke really, he's barely asking for like 50% of his market value. If rumors of Guenztal are true it looks like he wants to double dip by forcing Stamkos into a dirt cheap contract then making moves to clear space for Jake. Risky as it possibly leaves us with neither.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That's not even close to honest. Stamkos will easily get 8M by either 3 or 4 years on his next deal on the market guaranteeing himself 20-30m in half that time. That 30m is only guaranteed if he plays out the entire 8 years. Anything less than 7m per year is Stamkos doing this team a solid, 5M is just ridiculous steal.

If Stamkos retires in 4 years he'll be getting north over 7m if it's all front loaded. I think other teams could potentially pay more, but not that much more. I don't see teams offering him the term he wants and those that do aren't in a position to win now or have our advantages in weather/taxes etc.

If he wants to go to SJ, lose 12% off the top in additional taxes, and play for a bottom dweller, he could be offered more sure

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
An absolute joke really, he's barely asking for like 50% of his market value.
It's like he's trying to build for a future while also having no assets to build that future. This is just terrible management. There is no player we can get for that price who gets us closer to a cup than Stamkos. Not even close.

I've been fairly even keeled on both Stamkos and JBB, or at least I feel I have been, but JBB needs to be fired if we lose this guy because we won't pay him, like you said, HALF of what he could EASILY get on the open market.

It is essentially 4x6. Nobody wants to see him play at 40 years old. The guy has more money than he could ever spend now FFS. Sounds like he got bad advice. Let's see how much more he makes in free agency after taxes
Or he'll stay right where he is and go be a Panther for 5m, tax free. Anybody who can't make room for Stamkos at 5m, or less, is crazy. I don't think the Panthers are crazy. Apparently we are.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
No one knows what JBB offered. All of this is based on a post where someone "guesses" or "thinks" they may have offered something luke that based on what happened with Killorn last year. Longer term would make sense in this case, but as far as aav, who knows. If it is am 8 year deal, they are probably not that far off and something could likely be figured out.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If Stamkos retires in 4 years he'll be getting north over 7m if it's all front loaded. I think other teams could potentially pay more, but not that much more. I don't see teams offering him the term he wants.

Where does it say what term he wants? All it says is he's open to short or long term but the Lightning can't afford him short term because the number would be too high. Don't see him wanting a long term contract either why would he want to play past 40 for another club, that's just to help the Lightning out. I see him and whatever team wanting him agreeing to 3-4 year deal, that's best for everyone.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
I wonder if this is all just part of the game, I still try to maintain hope that they will sort this out. If not I will need a little time off from watching the Lightning to be honest before I can return - this is not how you handle the long-time face of the franchise, captain and a Hall of Famer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Stamkos retires in 4 years he'll be getting north over 7m if it's all front loaded. I think other teams could potentially pay more, but not that much more. I don't see teams offering him the term he wants and those that do aren't in a position to win now or have our advantages in weather/taxes etc.

If he wants to go to SJ, lose 12% off the top in additional taxes, and play for a bottom dweller, he could be offered more sure
How does the recapture penalty work? Maybe that's why we don't want to go above 4? Even so, this is ridiculous. The cap is supposed to rise another 4 or 5 next year. That would pay for this.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Where does it say what term he wants? All it says is he's open to short or long term but the Lightning can't afford him short term because the number would be too high. Don't see him wanting a long term contract either, that's just to help the Lightning out. I see him and whatever team wanting him agreeing to 3-4 year deal, that's best for everyone.

What I am saying is a 34 year old with an injury riddled history probably isn't playing into his 40's, if we front load his deal he'd be getting ~7m+ for the next four years, which will make us competitive with other teams offering him 8m on a 3-4 year deals. It's not the max Stamkos can get but it's not exactly nothing either.

That's if the offer is 4m+, 3m isn't close to being the same.

How does the recapture penalty work? Maybe that's why we don't want to go above 4? Even so, this is ridiculous. The cap is supposed to rise another 4 or 5 next year. That would pay for this.

Stamkos forfeits the remainder of his contract once he retires, we are responsible for the difference between his salary and AAV for the remainder of his term.

So for example, if we offered him 4mx8 years we could do

7.25m
7.25m
7.25m
7.25m
RETIRES
750k(6.5m penalty)
750k(6.5m penalty)
750k(6.5m penalty)
750k(6.5m penalty)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It won't be San Jose. There will be good teams who can easily come up with a better offer than this. Even ones in a tax free state. Nashville will almost certainly make a run. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers try to clear some space to come up with 5m to keep Stamkos close to home.

Outside of tax free states, I think Boston will 100% make a big offer. Plus, yeah, some bottom feeder teams looking to sell a ticket or two.

Make no mistake, if the news dripping out is true, this is just as ridiculous as it looks. There's no way to put a good face on it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I wonder if this is all just part of the game, I still try to maintain hope that they will sort this out. If not I will need a little time off from watching the Lightning to be honest before I can return - this is not how you handle the long-time face of the franchise, captain and a Hall of Famer.

This is where I'm at.

We brought on McDonagh

We were apparently in on Guentzel

JFBB actually left the bat cave and broke silence, elaborating on a negotiation

Yeah. There's so much we don't know about. The second I heard he said something to the press, I knew something was up. Literally no one ever knows a thing about what we we doing until the moment the news breaks.

We. Don't. Leak. EVER

I am like 98% sure this is getting done. JFBB is playing chicken right now. If Stamkos actually walks then this really is a fireable offense. Vinik ain't gonna have that

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Because he doesn't want to overpay for a guy he doesn't wanna keep anyways

Lebron says we offered him 3mx8yrs while his camp wants between 4 and 5
Stamkos agents leaked that to Lebrun to absolutely make JBB and the lightning organization look like a complete joke and they do for sure now

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is where I'm at.

We brought on McDonagh

We were apparently in on Guentzel

JFBB actually left the bat cave and broke silence, elaborating on a negotiation

Yeah. There's so much we don't know about. The second I heard he said something to the press, I knew something was up. Literally no one ever knows a thing about what we we doing until the moment the news breaks.

We. Don't. Leak. EVER

I am like 98% sure this is getting done. JFBB is playing chicken right now. If Stamkos actually walks then this really is a fireable offense. Vinik ain't gonna have that
The money Vinik loses with Stamkos merchandise alone lol 😂 and will make the organization look real bad

Reactions: Outl4w

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It won't be San Jose. There will be good teams who can easily come up with a better offer than this. Even ones in a tax free state. Nashville will almost certainly make a run. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers try to clear some space to come up with 5m to keep Stamkos close to home.

Outside of tax free states, I think Boston will 100% make a big offer. Plus, yeah, some bottom feeder teams looking to sell a ticket or two.

Make no mistake, if the news dripping out is true, this is just as ridiculous as it looks. There's no way to put a good face on it.

I am going to equate our offer to the equivalent of 7.25mx4 years

How many teams out there are easily beating that? Probably a few, but I think it's competitive at least. Maybe Nashville.

Again however, JBB has only offered 3m. At 3m it's a really bad offer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He is under the age of 35 so I don’t think the penalty would be bad at all .

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos agents leaked that to Lebrun to absolutely make JBB and the lightning organization look like a complete joke and they do for sure now
You're probably right about this. The leak makes JBB look awful. Almost certainly came from Stamkos's side.

Reactions: Todd1a

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad