Pre-Game Talk: St Louis @ Toronto - 7pm - TSN

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They'll give him the start if he's ready. They made the early decision to commit to him last offseason, and not letting him play now because he wasn't able to play before isn't going to help him stay healthy or good. Teams don't have these weird personal vendettas against players for getting injured.

My point is we cannot commit to Joseph Woll as our goalie and operate on his timeframe because he's entirely unreliable, with only 36 NHL games to his name. Ideally it's up to him to stay healthy and be a reliable goalie option for this team, not like everything stops for this guy.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My point is we cannot commit to Joseph Woll as our goalie and operate on his timeframe because he's entirely unreliable, with only 36 NHL games to his name. Ideally it's up to him to stay healthy and be a reliable goalie option for this team, not like everything stops for this guy.
What is stopping for the guy? He's a goalie. He's healthy. Goalies play when they're healthy, and this game is as good as any other. How can he be a reliable goalie option for the team if we don't play him? Nobody is suggesting that he supplant Stolarz unless he earns it, but Stolarz isn't going to play every game, and Woll needs to get games in. You seem to want to stick it Woll because he got injured. What does that do? Who does that help? Some vindictive fans may dream about that, but actual teams don't do that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They've already committed to him when they re-signed him.
Like most, we're not really sure what your issue is with him playing if he's healthy.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
IMO, this Stolarz start. He has earned it so far. After that, we will see. Nothing is guaranteed to Woll. I do realize he will need to play at some point, but to me, this particular game is Stolarz.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They've already committed to him when they re-signed him.
Like most, we're not really sure what your issue is with him playing if he's healthy.

Hildeby started the last game, so why would Stolarz sit for two games when he's been our 1A to start the season? If Woll is healthy, why can't he wait till Boston? I reiterate, we aren't all waiting around for Woll to be ready.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
IMO, this Stolarz start. He has earned it so far. After that, we will see. Nothing is guaranteed to Woll. I do realize he will need to play at some point, but to me, this particular game is Stolarz.
For sure, then Woll can make his season debut in Boston on Saturday.

Hildeby started the last game, so why would Stolarz sit for two games when he's been our 1A to start the season? If Woll is healthy, why can't he wait till Boston?
He can wait until Boston I'm not really bothered when he plays.

Reactions: wingman75

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I agree. Stolarz rested during the Columbus game and has been stellar for Toronto to start the season. So if we're going by a rotation, he should go back in the net tonight and that shouldn't be disrupted because the opponent is important to Woll or Woll woke up on the right side of the bed today. Wait your turn.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Up to the coach. If Stolarz has another really good game and Leafs win, I'd be tempted to go back to him again. Tough decision, as I realize that Woll has to play too. You don't want him sitting too long. We'll see.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Up to the coach. If Stolarz has another really good game and Leafs win, I'd be tempted to go back to him again. Tough decision, as I realize that Woll has to play too. You don't want him sitting too long. We'll see.
Saturday and Monday are two tough games. I'm sure they have a plan to navigate it.

Could be they don't want to overuse Stolarz so early in the season.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Hildeby started the last game, so why would Stolarz sit for two games when he's been our 1A to start the season? If Woll is healthy, why can't he wait till Boston? I reiterate, we aren't all waiting around for Woll to be ready.
Hildeby started because it was B2B. Despite that, Stolarz, with a career high of 28 games, is still currently on pace for more than double that.
Woll, who we just gave a sizeable extension to in the offseason, is healthy, ready, and needs to play.
We aren't waiting around for Woll to be ready. He's just ready, and there's no reason to not give him this game. Let Stolarz face the divisional rival.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

I'd even suggest Stolarz looked tired vs Tampa. He played well, but didn't look as 'tight' as previous games. Remember, he is not used to playing this much. Good chance for him to rest up. Makes sense to get Woll in if he is ready.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Stolarz will get plenty of games. Hopefully Woll does too. It really doesn't matter too much, which one plays a particular game, if they are both healthy, and playing to their potentials, which we should hope for.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hildeby started because it was B2B. Despite that, Stolarz, with a career high of 28 games, is still currently on pace for more than double that.
Woll, who we just gave a sizeable extension to in the offseason, is healthy, ready, and needs to play.
We aren't waiting around for Woll to be ready. He's just ready, and there's no reason to not give him this game. Let Stolarz face the divisional rival.

Stolarz gets his normal start so we can keep a hot goalie hot, and Woll goes in vs Boston on the rotation. You know, run a meritocracy, not be dictated to by the size of a 3 year $11 million contract with a guy with less than 40 games of NHL experience and is never reliable...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Screw that. Leafs just face planted for the first time this season and need a bounce back game.

Woll was not ready for Game 7 and Game 1 over some injury issues nobody has been transparent about and I am in no mood to give him the vanity game if he couldn't go for two more important games for the team. He plays when he's ready and when the Leafs see fit to give him a chance.
THIS.

Hope the Beast doesn’t tske the demotion personally, he show in one game hos good he can be, and showed in another game he still needs seasoning……..

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would go with Stolarz. Go with the hot hands

The next three games are crucial. We are playing some good teams.
Good test for the team early on

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would go with Stolarz. Go with the hot hands

The next three games are crucial. We are playing some good teams.
Good test for the team early on

You could always start Woll vs Boston as "unfinished business" from last year and hype it up.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
When he's healthy I would love to give Minten some run in the bottom 6 ahead of Holmberg and Kampf. Unlike most rookies he seems like he should be pretty good defensively, has more physicality, more potential upside obviously.
Under normal circumstances I'd be with you, but as we've seen many times, even when healthy and back in the lineup, players take a while longer to get back to normal after a high ankle sprain.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The idea that Stolarz is just hot, and not that he's just a good goalie seems odd to me. Think about how he's played in his career. He was a backup in Florida, and he often went a week or more between games, and was ready when needed. Having some games, between his last game, is completely normal for him... this isn't an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad