SSM Greyhounds 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
I'd take Gibson over Parekh personally...this may not be the popular opinion, but IMO, the best player/pickup that Saginaw could have made last year was Jorian Donovan. He was an absolute beast on defence, and chipped in with a few points along the way...i see Gibson as the same type of player. Parekh is flashy, and puts up some points, but guys like Donovan and Gibson are what push teams forward.

Not trying to disrespect Saginaw or it's fans, they may see things differently, having watched Parekh exclusively the past two years. this is from an outsider looking in...i said last year in the playoffs that if Saginaw beats us, it's going to be because we have no answer for Donovan's size, speed and skill on the back end.
Rafis went public in saying he "tried" to make a deal happen that didn't materialize last year. I think it was to add another D like Donovan, but who knows? I thought the Soo should have been in on Connor Punnett myself.

The OHL rights of Allard belong to the hounds. I am certain of this because Fimis and Wakely are not on the Knights roster.

Yes, we do. Owen is still listed on our roster officially like @dirty12 said

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'd take Gibson over Parekh personally...this may not be the popular opinion, but IMO, the best player/pickup that Saginaw could have made last year was Jorian Donovan. He was an absolute beast on defence, and chipped in with a few points along the way...i see Gibson as the same type of player. Parekh is flashy, and puts up some points, but guys like Donovan and Gibson are what push teams forward.

Not trying to disrespect Saginaw or it's fans, they may see things differently, having watched Parekh exclusively the past two years. this is from an outsider looking in...i said last year in the playoffs that if Saginaw beats us, it's going to be because we have no answer for Donovan's size, speed and skill on the back end.
It really depends on the buying teams needs . Teams may need to upgrade their offensive defenseman while another team may need a more defensive defenseman. So which is better is more a relative question as they are both good at what they do.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
imo i think saginaw will be buyers, not sellers. i also get what outsider is saying. a team with a top pairing defensive dman with some offensive upside might seek out a player like parekh, where a team with a high skill offensive dman with some defensive liability might seek out a shutdown partner.

i think Gibson's strength is that he offers some of both without one coming at the expense of the other, and agree that he's right at the top, if not the top asset potentially available on defense. i guess we'll find out after christmas!

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
imo i think saginaw will be buyers, not sellers. i also get what outsider is saying. a team with a top pairing defensive dman with some offensive upside might seek out a player like parekh, where a team with a high skill offensive dman with some defensive liability might seek out a shutdown partner.

i think Gibson's strength is that he offers some of both without one coming at the expense of the other, and agree that he's right at the top, if not the top asset potentially available on defense. i guess we'll find out after christmas!
agreed. I feel like he is the best total package d-man in the league.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

it will depend what teams what. i can see teams liking ando from kitchener the best as well. its not like there will be a lack of teams looking for d upgrades.

as of today id be shocked if they moved him but perekh would get the most simply due to his time left in the league.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Ok. Maybe the Miller experiment should be over. There is a reason he only played the bottom feeder teams last year.

This can't keep happening every time he starts

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was just stopping by to read how Miller is the man and Schenkel should have been jettisoned ASAP in the off-season. I went to pull a couple quotes but Holy….theres just too many quality ones to choose from. The best part is that instead of said individual realizing “I really misjudged that one”……
I feel bad a bit for the guy except he would never admit to a bad take and just have a meltdown because you didn’t agree with him

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I was just stopping by to read how Miller is the man and Schenkel should have been jettisoned ASAP in the off-season. I went to pull a couple quotes but Holy….theres just too many quality ones to choose from. The best part is that instead of said individual realizing “I really misjudged that one”……
Like a lot of goalies in this league- skill isn’t there “oh but he has height!!”

If he was 6’1 and on a lower end team like Kingston last year he wouldn’t have been drafted. He only looked good last year because of how good the soo was- and he is 6’4 so scouts like that.

I think it’s so stupid how they overlook normal sized goalies nowadays. Guys like Ivankovic should 1000% be a first round pick but may fall to the mid-late second because he isn’t 6’4 or 6’5

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Ive been saying for 2 years that Miller is not what we needed. And we traded an extra 3rd to move up and draft him when george was in our backyard and his mom and grandparents are from the soo. The systems we play need quality goaltenders. Shenkle can get by and as an older goalie he's okay, but Miller hasn't been able to stop a puck in 3 years. He's been sheltered playing sub .500 teams since he came here and I got blasted when i said we need to run with shenkle. Oh detroit will never draft another goalie from us blah blah blah. Who cares? We need to worry about our team, not the red wings. When you're going with a young team like we are, you absolutely need to have a goalie that can save a puck or it's going to be a long, long season.

Reactions: JoeSchmo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad