SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So that's a very insightful comment.

You could start the year with
Nordh (import)
Holub (import)
Schenkel (OA)

And then at the deadline you could potentially move Nordh and Schenkel and bring in Nuto.
Keeping Schenkel until the deadline would be an egregious mistake in my opinion. Good luck getting the Red Wings to ever send someone here again.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If you can move Schenkel before the season I think you can certainly do that, but I don't think starting the year with him is the worst option. You might platoon Schenkel and Miller until mid November (21 games), trade Schenkel, call up Camputaro and run with Miller/Camputaro until January (15 games). Then move Nordh to open an import spot and bring in Nuto and run Miller/Nuto for the remaining 32 games.

Miller probably gets somewhere in the ballpark of
~10/21 with Schenkel
~11/15 with Camputaro
~19/32 with Nuto

It's a good amount of starts, no?

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Keeping Schenkel until the deadline would be an egregious mistake in my opinion. Good luck getting the Red Wings to ever send someone here again.
don't quite understand this. the red wings don't have a choice in this one. he's either playing here or nowhere till he's old enough for an OA spot (or they trade him). unless they have someone that was drafted outside of the hounds (USNDP, Import), that won't really apply.

it may make them think twice about drafting a greyhound player in the future, but that's a different scenario all together.

i can't remember the last time a hound was returned by the wings that was AHL eligible. not saying it hasn't, i just can't remember when.

IMO, i don't care what the Red Wings think, I'm more worried about what's best for our team. and if that's keeping Shenkle to showcase him for a better deal at the deadline, then that's what i'm doing. if it doesn't look like there will be a need for him, ship him out earlier.

as always, just my opinion

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Nordh comes, he immediately slots onto the top line. I have him listed as a left shot RW, but we really need a LW. Would he play on his natural side?

2A Nordh - Brown - Mignosa
2B ???DeZoete??? - Allard (OA) - Cloutier
2C ??? - Martin - Hayes

I think Nordh needs to have a playmaker on his line which I why I put him with Brown. I pieced together a 2B line which might be more like an elite 3rd line checking line. If we can find a good LW for Martin's line (2C), that line is going to be our 2nd scoring line and maybe pushing to be our top scoring line by the end of the year.

If our lines looked something like this, I can see all 3 getting somewhat similar icetime through the year.

Thoughts?
After 20 games, I think there is a fair chance that Martin is the top forward on the team. And 40-45 is a good number of starts for Miller.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
don't quite understand this. the red wings don't have a choice in this one. he's either playing here or nowhere till he's old enough for an OA spot (or they trade him). unless they have someone that was drafted outside of the hounds (USNDP, Import), that won't really apply.

it may make them think twice about drafting a greyhound player in the future, but that's a different scenario all together.

i can't remember the last time a hound was returned by the wings that was AHL eligible. not saying it hasn't, i just can't remember when.

IMO, i don't care what the Red Wings think, I'm more worried about what's best for our team. and if that's keeping Shenkle to showcase him for a better deal at the deadline, then that's what i'm doing. if it doesn't look like there will be a need for him, ship him out earlier.

i dont imagine the red wings care that much about what he is at 18 tbh. he probably should have an older guy with him to start. not like the hounds have a line up of high end 04s right now.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

We haven't had a Red Wings prospect for some time, but we have had players from other NHL teams (Sandin, Kupari, Lutz, etc.) and those teams have a lot of influence over where those guys play.

Stunting Miller's development for a guy with no NHL future sends the wrong signals to those teams and makes us seem uncooperative. Utah may be watching now, wondering if this is a good place for Allard to develop, just as an example. This is why you rarely see teams refuse to play NHL drafted players, especially when they have proven to be deserving. I'm 100% sure that calls have been or will be made by Detroit.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
We haven't had a Red Wings prospect for some time, but we have had players from other NHL teams (Sandin, Kupari, Lutz, etc.) and those teams have a lot of influence over where those guys play.

Stunting Miller's development for a guy with no NHL future sends the wrong signals to those teams and makes us seem uncooperative. Utah may be watching now, wondering if this is a good place for Allard to develop, just as an example. This is why you rarely see teams refuse to play NHL drafted players, especially when they have proven to be deserving. I'm 100% sure that calls have been or will be made by Detroit.
what can utah do? send the kid to the ahl and have him sit for the year? i dont think youve had many discussions with player development people in the nhl. relationships are more about who you know, who the coach is, etc. how coudl you know what the red wings want for the kid? such a bizarre stance without first hand knowledge.

most nhl guys that i know get that the 20 kids in the room and the success of the franchise will always win over the development of one player. some will say having an older guy with miller and make him earn it will be good for him, you dont know what their stance is. most dont even care about the ohl as much as they do what the do with him when hes away from the team (ie camps).

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
what can utah do? send the kid to the ahl and have him sit for the year? i dont think youve had many discussions with player development people in the nhl. relationships are more about who you know, who the coach is, etc. how coudl you know what the red wings want for the kid? such a bizarre stance without first hand knowledge.

most nhl guys that i know get that the 20 kids in the room and the success of the franchise will always win over the development of one player. some will say having an older guy with miller and make him earn it will be good for him, you dont know what their stance is. most dont even care about the ohl as much as they do what the do with him when hes away from the team (ie camps).
Utah will play him in the AHL instead of the OHL if they feel that we don't prioritize the development of players. Benching an NHL drafted goalie would be a prime example of that.

NHL front offices are are in regular contact with the clubs that their prospects play for. I know for a fact that they are involved in rehab discussions. They also advocate for playing time in some cases.

It's no coincidence that the same teams always get big names from the import draft to report. They prioritize the development of NHL prospects and the teams send their prospects there because of it. We got Sandin because of our strong reputation.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Utah will play him in the AHL instead of the OHL if they feel that we don't prioritize the development of players. Benching an NHL drafted goalie would be a prime example of that.

NHL front offices are are in regular contact with the clubs that their prospects play for. I know for a fact that they are involved in rehab discussions. They also advocate for playing time in some cases.

It's no coincidence that the same teams always get big names from the import draft to report. They prioritize the development of NHL prospects and the teams send their prospects there because of it. We got Sandin because of our strong reputation.
Utah won’t do that because he’s not ready and they will ruin his development.

do you think Steve yzermsn is going to stay up at night worried if miller gets 40 starts? I’d be surprised.

I would absolutely love to know what nhl team has called the Soo to tell them what pp1 looks like and how many offensive zone starts their prospect is getting. Other then Dubas, what managers constantly send prospects to the Soo over other places? As you mentioned the Soo does great with nhl graduates, tens should be happy, so which teams are constantly sending players there over other spots?

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Utah won’t do that because he’s not ready and they will ruin his development.

do you think Steve yzermsn is going to stay up at night worried if miller gets 40 starts? I’d be surprised.

I would absolutely love to know what nhl team has called the Soo to tell them what pp1 looks like and how many offensive zone starts their prospect is getting. Other then Dubas, what managers constantly send prospects to the Soo over other places? As you mentioned the Soo does great with nhl graduates, tens should be happy, so which teams are constantly sending players there over other spots?
You're using hyperbole and creating a straw man argument. I didn't say any of this stuff.

No GM is losing sleep over this, but they have a staff of 50+ people and someone is going to take note when a team harms the development of a prospect. Benching Miller would be a textbook example of that. He's clearly ready.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You're using hyperbole and creating a straw man argument. I didn't say any of this stuff.

No GM is losing sleep over this, but they have a staff of 50+ people and someone is going to take note when a team harms the development of a prospect. Benching Miller would be a textbook example of that. He's clearly ready.

and if he is ready, he will play, no team will hold him back if he’s the better goalie. if he’s not, he won’t and they will be on the player, not the organization.

I’ve seen countless nhl player development guys pull players out after our games and give them hell for not earning more opportunities, they don’t run to the coach and complain. It’s not house league, it’s the OHL and you gotta earn your ice. if miller doesn’t the wings will be way harder on him then they would be on John dean

Miller is the better goalie but if he doesn’t earn the crease the wings will call him on it, it’s not house league, you earn what you get in the OHL and moving forward, no nhl team is asking an OHL team to play someone more if another player out plays him.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
and if he is ready, he will play, no team will hold him back if he’s the better goalie. if he’s not, he won’t and they will be on the player, not the organization.

I’ve seen countless nhl player development guys pull players out after our games and give them hell for not earning more opportunities, they don’t run to the coach and complain. It’s not house league, it’s the OHL and you gotta earn your ice. if miller doesn’t the wings will be way harder on him then they would be on John dean

Miller is the better goalie but if he doesn’t earn the crease the wings will call him on it, it’s not house league, you earn what you get in the OHL and moving forward, no nhl team is asking an OHL team to play someone more if another player out plays him.
First of all, for a person who pretends to be some kind of insider, you should know that the bolded section is a bunch of horseshit. Even your average fan like me knows that.

Miller's ice time has already been earned. He was our best goaltender by a considerable margin last year and didn't get the appropriate playing time because of his age. We can throw that entire argument out the window.

Players have been dealt many times in this league at the request of an NHL team. It comes into play ever year at the deadline and it gets reported. I know of one particular instance where a Greyhounds trade was scuttled when the NHL team didn't want a player to go to Sarnia. They instead sent the player elsewhere. They invest millions in these guys and very much want them to succeed.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
First of all, for a person who pretends to be some kind of insider, you should know that the bolded section is a bunch of horseshit. Even your average fan like me knows that.

Miller's ice time has already been earned. He was our best goaltender by a considerable margin last year and didn't get the appropriate playing time because of his age. We can throw that entire argument out the window.

Players have been dealt many times in this league at the request of an NHL team. It comes into play ever year at the deadline and it gets reported. I know of one particular instance where a Greyhounds trade was scuttled when the NHL team didn't want a player to go to Sarnia. They instead sent the player elsewhere. They invest millions in these guys and very much want them to succeed.
so then why are you whining about his ice time lol?

do you ever wonder why so many fans of the Soo and other teams go after you about your posts?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
so then why are you whining about his ice time lol?

do you ever wonder why so many fans of the Soo and other teams go after you about your posts?
It's always the same pattern. You lie, get called out, and then just make personal attacks instead of responding.

Miller has earned ice time and hasn't received it. I think we'll see the Greyhounds deal or release Schenkel because of that fact. The Greyhounds do care about their relationship with NHL teams, despite your claims to the contrary.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

he was not the best goaltender by a considerable margin. if he played all the stronger teams instead of the bottom feeders, his numbers would have been much different. but that's expected. it's why you go with a 19 or 20 year old and shelter younger goalies to keep their confidence up.

It's always the same pattern. You lie, get called out, and then just make personal attacks instead of responding.

Miller has earned ice time and hasn't received it. I think we'll see the Greyhounds deal or release Schenkel because of that fact. The Greyhounds do care about their relationship with NHL teams, despite your claims to the contrary

well if you're so informed, and the greyhounds care so much about their relationship with NHL teams, maybe that's the reason we don't win anything. maybe it's time they worry about their own team and do what they can to win.

Reactions: DWI Dale

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
he was not the best goaltender by a considerable margin. if he played all the stronger teams instead of the bottom feeders, his numbers would have been much different. but that's expected. it's why you go with a 19 or 20 year old and shelter younger goalies to keep their confidence up.

well if you're so informed, and the greyhounds care so much about their relationship with NHL teams, maybe that's the reason we don't win anything. maybe it's time they worry about their own team and do what they can to win.
it’s not worth it my friend, I just went through it, he/she is like a fake news factory,

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The premise of the argument is sound. Miller played well. Miller deserves more ice this year.

If I counted correctly, Miller started 26 games last season. As long as he gets 35+ (or maintains that pace if injuries prevent achieving that number), I think it's a good increase in workload and see how he handles it.

As I laid out in an earlier post, you could start the season with Schenkel/Miller, run post deadline with Miller/Nuto, and still have a season where Miller gets 40+ starts.

If the Hounds keep Schenkel all year and Miller gets his 26 starts again, something went seriously wrong.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The premise of the argument is sound. Miller played well. Miller deserves more ice this year.

If I counted correctly, Miller started 26 games last season. As long as he gets 35+ (or maintains that pace if injuries prevent achieving that number), I think it's a good increase in workload and see how he handles it.

As I laid out in an earlier post, you could start the season with Schenkel/Miller, run post deadline with Miller/Nuto, and still have a season where Miller gets 40+ starts.

If the Hounds keep Schenkel all year and Miller gets his 26 starts again, something went seriously wrong.
no reason why you wouldnt start with both, you dont have a ton of high end 04s. if they get the goalie from the import draft and he is decent, then you can cut schenkel.

i thought that a few guys on here were saying that the tegelaar kid was a lock to be the backup next year?

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad