SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
2007 is niiiiice. let's hope he's a gamer and ready to move to Canada!

the 2nd pick is a headscratcher??? any idea why we drafted an '06 goalie?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
There's definitely a high likelihood Miller will not be around.

But I can't say I like the idea of a goalie that takes up an OA slot and an import slot either. I'm pretty underwhelmed/confused by this selection.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Greyhounds aren't contending this season, so for sure they were going to give Miller every opportunity to prove he can handle it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Greyhounds aren't contending this season, so for sure they were going to give Miller every opportunity to prove he can handle it.
What if he can’t though? Fronts thought vaccari would be fine last year and he wasn’t, but they didn’t have a backup that was OHL level so he had to play 59 games.

Maybe the greyhounds are just being cautious with their young stud goalie. It’s still millers spot to lose but they’re probably just easing him into it- something the fronts should’ve done.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, an interesting import draft for sure. Not terribly surprised that we selected a defenseman, with our great track record on bringing in import D.

The goalie was an interesting selection, maybe they are really high on him? Can't find much on him.

Assuming the import D reports, our D looks set to start the year:
Carlisle (OA) - Gibson
Evans - Holub
BMB - Solomon
Gillen

The big question still remains at forward, but with the rest of the roster more or less set, then I would expect the only serious battle at training camp to be for the 3rd and 4th '08 spots amongst the forwards.
1st - Cali
2nd - Croskery
3rd - *
4th - *

* choose 2 between Elliot, Long, Kelly, Kinnear, Bailey-Reid, McQueen, Bain

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Its not a pissing match. We are correcting you because you're wrong. You've been corrected by other Soo fans, not just me. Its ok to be wrong. I'm wrong all the time. Don't double down on being wrong. The Soo is a great junior hockey club. If they didn't have someone drafted one year, whatever. It doesn't take away from their legacy.
By your criteria, yes I would be incorrect. The criteria I used in my original post is correct. Tlusty got drafted and was a Greyhound. There are a lot of ways to interpret this.

It's just a fun fact, nobody is taking it too seriously except you The Soo/Greyhounds have the top 5 scorers in NHL history from Ontario. The legacy doesn't depend on your interpretation of a drafting track record.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
By your criteria, yes I would be incorrect. The criteria I used in my original post is correct. Tlusty got drafted and was a Greyhound. There are a lot of ways to interpret this.

It's just a fun fact, nobody is taking it too seriously except you The Soo/Greyhounds have the top 5 scorers in NHL history from Ontario. The legacy doesn't depend on your interpretation of a drafting track record.
who questioned the soo legecy?

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Kingpin. This is my last post on that matter, there are better things to discuss than whether Jiri Tlusty played for the Greyhounds or not, like the current import draft.
no he wasn’t lol, he was asking for clarity. not everyone is out to get you and the greyhounds, dont be so insecure, you guys have a great program

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The criteria I used in my original post is correct.
You are the one questioning the legacy with your selective criteria. Every time the truth is stretched to make it look better than it is, by using cleverly worded criteria, is a time when you are suggesting the Hounds' achievements are not good enough. The same thing happens with posts on the Windsor board with the same results.

This being the 17th consecutive NHL drafts a Hound has been selected is an excellent achievement. I didn't need to think about how to word it, I just copied and pasted it from the Hounds article.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You are the one questioning the legacy with your selective criteria. Every time the truth is stretched to make it look better than it is, by using cleverly worded criteria, is a time when you are suggesting the Hounds' achievements are not good enough. The same thing happens with posts on the Windsor board with the same results.

This being the 17th consecutive NHL drafts a Hound has been selected is an excellent achievement. I didn't need to think about how to word it, I just copied and pasted it from the Hounds article.
well put

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

You guys take things far too seriously. I didn't bring up anything about the team's legacy. I just mentioned that a Greyhound's player has been taken in every draft. That's not cleverly worded, it's just a cool fact. You are welcome to use your own criteria on who counts and who does not. It's not some official stat.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You guys take things far too seriously. I didn't bring up anything about the team's legacy. I just mentioned that a Greyhound's player has been taken in every draft. That's not cleverly worded, it's just a cool fact. You are welcome to use your own criteria on who counts and who does not. It's not some official stat.
I thought you weren’t talking about it anymore? I’m just asking a question don’t get overly sensitive again

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
hound rosters come and hound rosters go but fischy's antics never change.

raftis suggesting nordh could report is good news! he'd definitely help drive some offense and give some breathing room to our younger guys. are imports ever traded? 😉

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Glad to see there was nothing nefarious going on with our coaching, according to latest sootoday article.
dont want to open pandora's box but ertel was looking to go back home early in the summer, he reached out to a few western teams, i have no idea but im sure the soo knew. he probably didnt get something that worked so hes going to stay as a skills coach/scout i would guess.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
But even if he did find something with another team, what's the big deal? Sometimes these conspiracy theories leave me scratching my head.

Reactions: dirty12

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If Nordh comes, he immediately slots onto the top line. I have him listed as a left shot RW, but we really need a LW. Would he play on his natural side?

2A Nordh - Brown - Mignosa
2B ???DeZoete??? - Allard (OA) - Cloutier
2C ??? - Martin - Hayes

I think Nordh needs to have a playmaker on his line which I why I put him with Brown. I pieced together a 2B line which might be more like an elite 3rd line checking line. If we can find a good LW for Martin's line (2C), that line is going to be our 2nd scoring line and maybe pushing to be our top scoring line by the end of the year.

If our lines looked something like this, I can see all 3 getting somewhat similar icetime through the year.

Thoughts?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sault Star article on imports has a bit more info.

“I would expect, after the Ivan Hlinka tournament, he (Holub) is going to be in the Sault,” Raftis said.
The pick (Nuto) comes with a bit of a wait and see proposition as Raftis hinted that 2022 first-round import selection, Noel Nordh, could be coming over to play with the Hounds.
“By the end of NHL training camps, I expect to have both import spots filled, so that is a positive,” Raftis said.

That's promising to expect both import spots to be filled one way or the other. He is excited to get Holub. Sounds less excited about Nuto, even suggesting he could "trade or rescind his rights". Here is hoping that the imports can be impact players in this league. We don't need replacement level players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad