SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
No, but I would say it's not looking great for Cali or Croskery. If one of those was close I wouldn't expect them to lead out with this one.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
No, but I would say it's not looking great for Cali or Croskery. If one of those was close I wouldn't expect them to lead out with this one

Would go down as the worst draft for the Soo Greyhounds in what, the last couple of decades? Whiff on your first two selections and no pick in the 3rd would be a terrible outcome.

I wouldn't lose hope yet though.....

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So, forwards for next year assuming only 2 of our OA Fs are rostered (reasonable assumption):
1. OA1 (04)
2. OA2 (04)
3. Cloutier (05)
4. Mignosa (05)
5. Brown (06)
6. Vader (06)
7. Martin (07)
8. Hayes (07)
9. Smith (07)

14 is probably a reasonable number of forwards to carry. That means that we need to find 5 more. I am a little concerned about the prospect pool at this point. I went back to check my notes from the prospect camp. Forwards who I thought showed they might push for a spot in training camp:
A) Cali (08)
B) Andrew (08)
C) Elliott (08)
D) Long (08)
E) Kelly (08)

At first glance, even though we would be young, it looks like we might have enough quality coming up. However, notice their birth year. They are all 08s. We can only roster 4 of the 08s. 2 of them must be Cali and Croskery. That means if Cali and Croskery don't report, we can only roster 2 of our 08s.

Somehow we are going to have to find 5 more forwards. We still have the import draft. Maybe the coaches saw something in some of the 07s at prospect camp that I didn't see. Perhaps trades are made. Maybe we find a few free agents that impress. Obviously, one way or another, our roster will be filled. I expect training camp to be very competitive for the 08s. But the rest of those forward spots might be tough to fill.

This will also impact our defense. Here is our returning defense:
1. Carlisle (04)
2. Gibson (05)
3. Evans (06)
4. BMB (06)
5. Solomon (07)

We have some intriguing defense prospects from our 08 draft this summer (Pangretitsch, Ashcroft, Allen) who probably don't even have a chance to make this team in the fall because of our need to roster two 08 forwards as described above. At least we have decent 07 prospects on D. Based on my recollection from prospect camp, our options include:
A) Gillen (07)
B) Zuyev (07)

We also have the import draft.

Hopefully the team can find enough quality players to fill the holes around Martin. It would be a shame if the GM hasn't set this team up to succeed in the next couple of years.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No, but I would say it's not looking great for Cali or Croskery. If one of those was close I wouldn't expect them to lead out with this one.
i cant for the life of my see why they would draft croskery if there was even a hint of cali not coming. everyone knew croskery was not coming, you cant take 2 guys with questions back to back and expect it to work out. cali was not even like a high end 1st like a malholtra may be. he was picked about where he thought he should go.

there has been nothing out there on him? i havent heard a thing about cali, but croskey is a school guy 100 percent, at least he has been all year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Forget if I have asked this. Do you believe you guys are contending next year? If not then who do you think gets traded out?

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
for sure at the deadline Gibson, Allard not prior too.
Hounds still want to make the playoffs.
Prior to season most likely Schenkel

Reactions: frontsfan67

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's probably going to be tough to move Schenkel prior to the season. If that is the direction they take, they might have to waive him.

HolyRoller

Feb 1, 2010
So, forwards for next year assuming only 2 of our OA Fs are rostered (reasonable assumption):
1. OA1 (04)
2. OA2 (04)
3. Cloutier (05)
4. Mignosa (05)
5. Brown (06)
6. Vader (06)
7. Martin (07)
8. Hayes (07)
9. Smith (07)

14 is probably a reasonable number of forwards to carry. That means that we need to find 5 more. I am a little concerned about the prospect pool at this point. I went back to check my notes from the prospect camp. Forwards who I thought showed they might push for a spot in training camp:
A) Cali (08)
B) Andrew (08)
C) Elliott (08)
D) Long (08)
E) Kelly (08)

At first glance, even though we would be young, it looks like we might have enough quality coming up. However, notice their birth year. They are all 08s. We can only roster 4 of the 08s. 2 of them must be Cali and Croskery. That means if Cali and Croskery don't report, we can only roster 2 of our 08s.

Somehow we are going to have to find 5 more forwards. We still have the import draft. Maybe the coaches saw something in some of the 07s at prospect camp that I didn't see. Perhaps trades are made. Maybe we find a few free agents that impress. Obviously, one way or another, our roster will be filled. I expect training camp to be very competitive for the 08s. But the rest of those forward spots might be tough to fill.

This will also impact our defense. Here is our returning defense:
1. Carlisle (04)
2. Gibson (05)
3. Evans (06)
4. BMB (06)
5. Solomon (07)

We have some intriguing defense prospects from our 08 draft this summer (Pangretitsch, Ashcroft, Allen) who probably don't even have a chance to make this team in the fall because of our need to roster two 08 forwards as described above. At least we have decent 07 prospects on D. Based on my recollection from prospect camp, our options include:
A) Gillen (07)
B) Zuyev (07)

We also have the import draft.

Hopefully the team can find enough quality players to fill the holes around Martin. It would be a shame if the GM hasn't set this team up to succeed in the next couple of years.
GIllen has been signed.

Reactions: HockeyPops

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I bet Mignosa would get you quite a bit. Doesn't fit your next window. Someone who has a two year window would probably love to have him. Steelheads would be a good fit.
I watched mignosa in the playoffs. Very underrated. With more responsibility I wouldn’t be shocked to see him break out this year

Not contending. Probably trading an OA forward (Allard?) and Gibson and Schenkel.
Gibson and allard if back should go for a lot.

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
Great news! A lot of us thought he could have played last year.
Agreed, if we weren't so deep on D last year both Gillen and Solomon could have played. Looking forward to their development. So that leaves 1 card for a D to sign still assuming Carlisle is back which I believe is key for leadership of the young D, him and Gibby should log a lot of minutes and mentor the young bucks.

Now we desperately need Cali to ink a deal and I would think Carson Andrew could play this year as well, hopefully he is leaning towards the OHL. So many holes up front to fill.

Import draft approaching, I would look at adding 2 forwards, hopefully a 06 and 07.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I really liked Gillen in training camp last year, and thought he could have played. But I think it was probably better for his development that he didn't. He came into rookie camp this year with a chip on his shoulder, and really has added a physical element and even a bit of nastiness to his game that I don't remember seeing a year ago, to go along with his offensive game. It's great to see.

Last edited:

Sakic fan

Sep 23, 2023
I really liked Gillen in training camp last year, and thought he could have played. But I think it was probably better for his development that he didn't. He came into rookie camp this year with a chip on his shoulder, and really has added a physical element and even a bit of nastiness to his game that I don't remember seeing a year ago, to go along with his offensive game. It's great to see.
Yes I noticed he had more of an edge to his game at rookie camp this year. Although it was mostly 08s, so we shall see if that translates to playing vs the older players in the league.
What is happening with Cali? Maybe just negotiating the best deal possible?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes I noticed he had more of an edge to his game at rookie camp this year. Although it was mostly 08s, so we shall see if that translates to playing vs the older players in the league.
What is happening with Cali? Maybe just negotiating the best deal possible?
i mean a 1st round package is pretty much the best you can get. i cant imagine what he'd think he needs in addition to that.

Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
i cant for the life of my see why they would draft croskery if there was even a hint of cali not coming. everyone knew croskery was not coming, you cant take 2 guys with questions back to back and expect it to work out. cali was not even like a high end 1st like a malholtra may be. he was picked about where he thought he should go.

there has been nothing out there on him? i havent heard a thing about cali, but croskey is a school guy 100 percent, at least he has been all year.
I think Cali will sign. I think he struggled with making his decision but Soo meets his needs and ultimately signs.

Cali didn’t go to Muskegon camp ( correct me if I’m wrong ).

Hi everyone hope you’re having a good offseason!

i mean a 1st round package is pretty much the best you can get. i cant imagine what he'd think he needs in addition to that.

Could it be a specific school in which he wants to attend while still playing in the OHL?

I expect the next signing announcement to be Keegan Gillens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad