SSM Greyhounds 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
PPG is just one consideration. I think age is the biggest factor for me. We're going to suck next year and neither Brown nor Barlas will change that. 2026-2027 or bust!
Is Martin around for 2026-27? He seems closer.to MacTavish than Barlow or Martone.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So, I'm still wondering about the Greyhounds OA situation.
Schenkel
Carlisle
Allard
Fantino
DeZoete

We traded Virgilio, which makes me think we might hold onto Carlisle for the whole season now lest we be too weak at defense after hopefully dealing Gibson at the deadline:
Carlisle '04
Gibson '05 - deal at deadline
Evans '06
BMB '06
Solomon '07
?
?

If we are in on Barlas as has been reported, then I can't see Allard staying as we need to open up icetime in the T-6 for Brown and Martin.

Also to consider, right now we have two '05 that are potentially OAs the year after this one (Cloutier, Mignosa). Bringing in Barlas would mean that all 3 '05s that return as OAs are forwards.

Reactions: scotty171

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
So, I'm still wondering about the Greyhounds OA situation.
Schenkel
Carlisle
Allard
Fantino
DeZoete

We traded Virgilio, which makes me think we might hold onto Carlisle for the whole season now lest we be too weak at defense after hopefully dealing Gibson at the deadline:
Carlisle '04
Gibson '05 - deal at deadline
Evans '06
BMB '06
Solomon '07
?
?

If we are in on Barlas as has been reported, then I can't see Allard staying as we need to open up icetime in the T-6 for Brown and Martin.

Also to consider, right now we have two '05 that are potentially OAs the year after this one (Cloutier, Mignosa). Bringing in Barlas would mean that all 3 '05s that return as OAs are forwards.
Maybe they are thinking or hearing that Allard will be moving on to AHL/ECHL?

I don't know what the goalie market is like but I would think that moving Schenkel before the season starts and having Miller come into the season knowing he's the starter would be a good thing.

I agree about keeping Carlisle around for the whole season. Moving Gibson at the deadline is a must if this team wants any chance of competing and building around the 07 group. DeZoete and Fantinio aren't really OA's that move the needle much but they are hard working players who are fine in a rebuilding year I guess.

I also don't really understand spending assets on Barlas unless the price is very low. Only thing that may make sense is that they are considering the fact that Martin may not be here when hes 19 and they have to consider building around his 18 year old season? Clouthier Mignossa Barlas OA's? Just a thought.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
very very hard market for 04 goalies to be moved. most teams that would want an upgrade (ie erie, brantford) have very good 04s already. and if they did want to move off of one of them, i assume oke would be the guy they would wait for.

kingston would be a wildcard but they seem completely locked into vaccari

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
very very hard market for 04 goalies to be moved. most teams that would want an upgrade (ie erie, brantford) have very good 04s already. and if they did want to move off of one of them, i assume oke would be the guy they would wait for.

kingston would be a wildcard but they seem completely locked into vaccari
If it comes down to this, I would be OK with releasing Schenkel after we have to trim down to 3 OA's. This season is more about developing Miller and our other young stars than it is about squeezing some value out of a decent OA.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Lots of teams still have questions in net. Hopefully Raftis is on the same page, just trying to find a place for Schenkel to play. Schenkel was one of the better goalies in the playoffs and down the stretch; I think there will be demand as long as Raftis doesn't try to milk another GM. Even just an OA swap with a team like Brantford bringing back a midround pick should be acceptable in this situation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brantford can certainly use a vet goalie and defensemen. They can afford to send too many picks out for Leenders too.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Season schedules are out. Interesting the Hounds have 0 Thursday home games and only 5 Saturday home games.
Mondays - 0
Tuesdays - 0
Wednesdays - 7
Thursdays - 0
Fridays - 15
Saturdays - 5
Sundays - 7

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Season schedules are out. Interesting the Hounds have 0 Thursday home games and only 5 Saturday home games.
Mondays - 0
Tuesdays - 0
Wednesdays - 7
Thursdays - 0
Fridays - 15
Saturdays - 5
Sundays - 7
i can't even remember the last time the Hounds played a thursday home game.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Lots of teams still have questions in net. Hopefully Raftis is on the same page, just trying to find a place for Schenkel to play. Schenkel was one of the better goalies in the playoffs and down the stretch; I think there will be demand as long as Raftis doesn't try to milk another GM. Even just an OA swap with a team like Brantford bringing back a midround pick should be acceptable in this situation.
if he was an 05 you probably could get a ton for him, but being that hes an 04, its very hard

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
i can't even remember the last time the Hounds played a thursday home game.
Yes, neither can I. I did poorly trying to get my point across about the Saturdays. Previous seasons we've had 8 or 9 Saturday home games. Just surprised that they were able to reduce that down to only 5 Saturdays without having to add a couple Thursdays.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, neither can I. I did poorly trying to get my point across about the Saturdays. Previous seasons we've had 8 or 9 Saturday home games. Just surprised that they were able to reduce that down to only 5 Saturdays without having to add a couple Thursdays.
Hard for the visitors who’s kids would miss a fair a
amount Of school and have to come up the night before

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes, and positionally a very important signing for the Hounds. Still thin on forwards, but it's a start. Right now I have Brown penciled in my 1C and Martin as my 2C, fully expecting them to switch by year end.

Cloutier - Brown - Mignosa
*Allard* - Martin - Hayes
*DeZoete* - Vader - *Fantino*
xxx - Smith - xxx
xxx - xxx

Also, it's likely not all 3 OA Fs stick around, as we also have Carlisle and Schenkel as potential OAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad