Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So he says Mitch knows how he feels about him as a player. That is a classic non-answer. A real answer would be something like: "Mitch is a huge part of our future and we are going to get an extension done."

In any case, I wouldn't read to much into that as Brad could just be acknowledging that Marner isn't the most popular guy in Toronto and I still believe the plan is to let him play under Berube and pray that he transforms his game and has a strong playoff performance. Then everyone* (except perhaps Mitch) wants him to come back.

* "Everyone" as in, that will be the hope. But in reality, regardless of what he does this team needs the cap space, even if Tavares is not brought back. Two $11+ forwards are all any team can reasonably afford + still ice a contender. AM + Nylander = ~$25M next year.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Prefer he is willing to waive and we move on but if they are gonna re-sign him then it’s 11.5 x 8 the exact same deal that Nylander got.
This. I don't think people understand how valuable he is to this team. He's got his ways but he is an unreal 200ft player. Hate his playoff game all you want, he is a big part of why the leafs are so successful in the regular season.

Also, if a team offers a #1 d man straight up for him, you take it.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Lebrun:
As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

Freidman:
One of the things a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over next season with Marner in Toronto," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said on 32 Thoughts on Monday.
I am sure this will go very smoothly and definitely not turn into a complete zoo mid-season

Reactions: Dog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lebrun:
As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

Freidman:
One of the things a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over next season with Marner in Toronto," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said on 32 Thoughts on Monday.

As an update. Mirtle now saying it’s unlikely.

Tre was lying about how he doesn’t speculate about signing players. He said he was signing.

Marner actually said he was going to open discussions and wanted to work on an extension. So this is different than his own words

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
This. I don't think people understand how valuable he is to this team. He's got his ways but he is an unreal 200ft player. Hate his playoff game all you want, he is a big part of why the leafs are so successful in the regular season.

Even as a neutral person I can see the value of Marner. He gets you to the big show, and like Datsyuk (earlier in his career) and many others, their playoff choker label is totally unfair. The hate he gets, fueled primarily by the media is toxic.

In Vancouver we are having the same issue with the hate on Petey.

These are human beings, not robots. They will have ups and downs in their careers. They are not a computer sim that will have a straight smooth line...there will be peaks and dips.

Marner also needs to not chase the absolute max money and leave something on the table so Leafs can create a proper contender around him and Mathews

Reactions: Dough72

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Even as a neutral person I can see the value of Marner. He gets you to the big show, and like Datsyuk (earlier in his career) and many others, their playoff choker label is totally unfair. The hate he gets, fueled primarily by the media is toxic.

In Vancouver we are having the same issue with the hate on Petey.

These are human beings, not robots. They will have ups and downs in their careers. They are not a computer sim that will have a straight smooth line...there will be peaks and dips.

Marner also needs to not chase the absolute max money and leave something on the table so Leafs can create a proper contender around him and Mathews
Thats the problem. If they max out the cap so leafs cant sign depth the expectation is they can do it on their own. If they cannot as we have seen, they should take slightly less so they can have people to play with.

Hypothetically, if marner and nylander signed for 10.5 x 7 years and Matthews signed for 12.25 x 7 years the difference is enough to help sign someone to play with them.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

He's very important to this team.

The problem is that's a double-edged sword because this team is itself a problem.

The formula needs to change. It's not working.

Now maybe they ride it out, extend Marner and let Tavares walk next year but we're still in a situation where we are top heavy and now we're lacking center depth.

Is it possible to build a contender around that? Maybe. Not sure, but I don't like the chances...

Reactions: tony135420

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Marner is generally the straw that stirs the drinks for the Leafs. Unfortunately, he can’t stir in the playoffs because (insert your favourite reason here), so the drink sucks and we lose.

He’s valuable, but we can’t win with him as the bus driver. Let someone else be the straw, we have two other all-stars who make enough money.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
He's very important to this team.

The problem is that's a double-edged sword because this team is itself a problem.

The formula needs to change. It's not working.

Now maybe they ride it out, extend Marner and let Tavares walk next year but we're still in a situation where we are top heavy and now we're lacking center depth.

Is it possible to build a contender around that? Maybe. Not sure, but I don't like the chances...
My biggest issue with this team is you cannot solely rely on your support players for leadership and grit. That had to be part of your core players to succeed in the playoffs. None of the core players have that. It's the only reason I think Tre will try to trade marner.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
My biggest issue with this team is you cannot solely rely on your support players for leadership and grit. That had to be part of your core players to succeed in the playoffs. None of the core players have that. It's the only reason I think Tre will try to trade marner.
and teams like chicago ,utah ,need a star and reach the cap floor.marner would have a ball in chicago

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Prefer he is willing to waive and we move on but if they are gonna re-sign him then it’s 11.5 x 8 the exact same deal that Nylander got.
No chance. Marner out produces Nylander every single year and outside of Nylander's contract year (marner was still better) it's by a significant amount. It's not a question of if Marner gets more than Nylander it's by how much. And the Leafs will sign him.

Reactions: Fatass

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

It's not about the grit leafs biggest issus...

Try to name me one team in modern hockey who had succes without having any D involve in the offensive game outside when they are trailing late in a game ... and you can add playing with a passive forecheck

Take florida, vegas, colorado, tampa...they all got d extremely involve in the offensive game and did an active forecheck.

Reactions: tony135420

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As an update. Mirtle now saying it’s unlikely.

Tre was lying about how he doesn’t speculate about signing players. He said he was signing.

Marner actually said he was going to open discussions and wanted to work on an extension. So this is different than his own words
Do you have a link to Marner saying that.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As a Habs fan . And one who cheers for every Canadian team when they play the leafs.......I hope they sign Marner to big money and long term.
(and they keep Shanahan for another decade).

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

After 8 years of playoff failure, who cares?

The objective is to win cups, not collect 2nd place division banners and pad Matthews' goal totals

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
And Saravslli finishes with “Marner holds are the cards here.” Treliving has no leverage. Marner could very well play out the year and walk as a UFA.
Letting him walk still isnt working on an extension for him like OP suggests is happening. Majority of Leaf fans want Marner gone, whether thats this summer or the next. People just want to make sure we never see him in a leafs jersey in 2025-2026.

If Marner is being difficult to work out a move, then I hope the Leafs are difficult with Marner's deployment this year. Keep him away from Matthews as much as possible.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
It's not about the grit leafs biggest issus...

Try to name me one team in modern hockey who had succes without having any D involve in the offensive game outside when they are trailing late in a game ... and you can add playing with a passive forecheck

Take florida, vegas, colorado, tampa...they all got d extremely involve in the offensive game and did an active forecheck.
This is also true. Having that much money tied up in forwards is unnecessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad