Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
He was a damn good threat to Spider-Man, and that's all he was trying to be. He wasn't supposed to be some huge threat overall. He was just trying to fool people.

Except that he really wasn't. They understood way too easily how his tricks worked, and once that's done, there's not much left to him. His motivations were pretty lame and formulaic too.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Except that he really wasn't. They understood way too easily how his tricks worked, and once that's done, there's not much left to him. His motivations were pretty lame and formulaic too.

i mean it’s not really that complicated of a thing to understand. Peter still struggled with it. He got his ass kicked and started questioning Happy when they met up. I mean the movie has to end at some point haha. I personally didn’t find his motivation lame, but I can understand the formulaic aspect of it for sure.

Sep 19, 2008
So growing up the two most primary superheroes of the day were Spiderman and Batman, largely because FOX aired those cartoons every day in the afternoons (remember when cartoons were on in the afternoons instead of all them talk shows we have in 2019? Doctor PHIL. Doctor OZ. but I digress). So Spiderman always has a special place because of all that time watching the 90's Spiderman cartoons in the early part of the decade.

Naturally I gravitated towards the Spider-Man movies and was a fan of the Toby Maguire ones (yes, even 3) and somehow skipped past The Amazing Spider Man 1 and 2 (have no intention of ever watching those) but this new reboot got me excited with what tom Holland has done and this movie also didn't disappoint IMO. Pretty good movie.

In the cartoons on FOX back in the day
it was important to keep Peter's identity secret. There were times when the Kingpin would come close to revealing who the pesky foil behind the mask was and get interrupted by some event

1:25 in he is about to take off Spidey's mask before Spidey pops back

Even in that scene they are doubtful because of his loss of powers :laugh:
yet in the movie
May discovers Peter's identity at the end of Homecoming and it becomes a major doxxing in the mid credits scene. I remember the old days when it used to be important to keep his identity secret.

Also have no problem with Aunt May at all in the new films. Goodness gracious. :help::naughty:;);):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica
Sep 19, 2008
Internet: Why didn't they address everyone at school in Endgame that disappeared and reappeared 5 years later it's so weird they LOOK THE SAME IN SCHOOL

Explained immediately when movie begins :laugh:

Guess you won't hear that refrain anymore

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
i mean it’s not really that complicated of a thing to understand

You always end up with a variation of "it's not that complicated" (implying it might be, for others). Well flash news: no, it's not, it won't be either. The time you spend at war against every bit of criticism about these kiddy flicks could be well used trying your hands at things that could actually be that complicated.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
You always end up with a variation of "it's not that complicated" (implying it might be, for others). Well flash news: no, it's not, it won't be either. The time you spend at war against every bit of criticism about these kiddy flicks could be well used trying your hands at things that could actually be that complicated.

... and yet.. here you are too, arguing about the these “kiddy flicks”..? I also find it funny that you rip on these kiddy flicks all the time, yet I find you in every one of these threads. And don’t claim you don’t have a bias against them when you just referred to them that way.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
... and yet.. here you are too, arguing about the these “kiddy flicks”..? I also find it funny that you rip on these kiddy flicks all the time, yet I find you in every one of these threads. And don’t claim you don’t have a bias against them when you just referred to them that way.

Do you have a bias against children literature? I said many times that I enjoy all that superhero crap - it's fun. Like you, I grew up with that stuff and I enjoy that Marvel/Disney/Netflix found ways to, at last, make decent films and series with that kind of material. Doesn't make any of it great cinema. It's still children narratives, mostly aimed at nostalgic adults who can't find any joy in those complicated works I was refering to. The only of these films I'd rank above a 5/10 is Black Panther, and mostly for its cultural significance.

I really enjoy the occasional BLT quarter-pounder with a large Coke too. But come and tell me that it's fine cuisine, and my reaction will be the same.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Do you have a bias against children literature? I said many times that I enjoy all that superhero crap - it's fun. Like you, I grew up with that stuff and I enjoy that Marvel/Disney/Netflix found ways to, at last, make decent films and series with that kind of material. Doesn't make any of it great cinema. It's still children narratives, mostly aimed at nostalgic adults who can't find any joy in those complicated works I was refering to. The only of these films I'd rank above a 5/10 is Black Panther, and mostly for its cultural significance.

I really enjoy the occasional BLT quarter-pounder with a large Coke too. But come and tell me that it's fine cuisine, and my reaction will be the same.

And that’s fine. I have no problem with people not liking superhero movies. But why comment on these if you don’t like them?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Speaking of this movie, it’s estimated to make $93 million this weekend, with a 6-day opening of $185 million. Worldwide of $585 million so far. On track to be the third billion dollar movie for the MCU in a row. Not bad for a franchise that’s only made one movie that’s better then 5/10.

Reactions: Jussi and xtra

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Riiiiiiggghttt. And yet, he literalllyyy ranks only one above a 5/10.

But sure... he said that on a random message board, so he’s clearly telling the truth. Good call. :laugh:

5/10 is dead average. What’s wrong with that ranking? Most of these superhero movies are just that - average - with a few outliers (I’d rank GotG and Infinity War as high as 7-8/10).

I mean, the guy says he likes the movies. What more do you want? His example of liking a fast food burger is perfectly applicable for these huge blockbuster popcorn flicks. They’re average, digestible films that don’t require the audience to think too much beyond the immediacy of the narrative. But “fine cuisine” they are not. They’re not trying to be, and that’s fine. Why do you think they’re so popular?

I don’t understand why you’re so offended by any of this.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
5/10 is dead average. What’s wrong with that ranking? Most of these superhero movies are just that - average - with a few outliers (I’d rank GotG and Infinity War as high as 7-8/10).

I mean, the guy says he likes the movies. What more do you want? His example of liking a fast food burger is perfectly applicable for these huge blockbuster popcorn flicks. They’re average, digestible films that don’t require the audience to think too much beyond the immediacy of the narrative. But “fine cuisine” they are not. They’re not trying to be, and that’s fine. Why do you think they’re so popular?

Oh, he's cool and composed right now. Normally he loses his shit way more, got me banned from another thread for similar opinion! Everything Marvel related gets personal for some reason.

As for my ratings, as posted January 8th in the Last movie you watched thread:

I tend to rate everything low so I can differentiate between a very good film (8), and a masterpiece (10 - but haven't seen one of those in some time). To me, most commercial and banal films are 3s. 4s are somewhat interesting, and 6s are good films that are worth watching.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Oh, he's cool and composed right now. Normally he loses his **** way more, got me banned from another thread for similar opinion! Everything Marvel related gets personal for some reason.

As for my ratings, as posted January 8th in the Last movie you watched thread:

Wasn’t me who got you banned from that thread, but I certainly wasn’t against it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Not offended. Just find it dumb, and this is a message board where I can share my feelings about that, no? It is what it is. Just won’t find me posting in threads about movie genres I don’t care much for, because that seems weird. But to each their own. At the end of the day, this has been overblown and isn’t a big deal.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Not offended. Just find it dumb, and this is a message board where I can share my feelings about that, no? It is what it is. Just won’t find me posting in threads about movie genres I don’t care much for, because that seems weird. But to each their own. At the end of the day, this has been overblown and isn’t a big deal.

I mean, this is the most popular franchise in the history of film. Surely you can understand why it may attract criticism from those who wouldn’t normally pay it any mind. The MCU is inescapable.

Also, I completely agree that x/10 rating systems need to show restraint to differentiate between the above average (6/10), the good (7/10), the very good (8/10), the truly special (9/10), and the perfect (10/10). This is a problem with video game criticism, too (among many, many other things). Above average games are consistently given 8/10 scores and that’s just absurd.

Anyway, I don’t have much of a dog in this fight either way. But if someone says, “I actually like these films” I don’t see much of a reason to not believe them just because they’re also critical of these films.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Jake Gyllenhaal was great as the villian. just finished watching it. slightly comical some laughs along the way. visual effects were good. tom holland IS SPIDERMAN. mid credits scene-good end credits just sets up nicely for phase 4.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really enjoyed the film.

Spider Man is sort of unique in the MCU with its light-hearted high school humour and it should try to retain that.

Reactions: Roman Fell

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
So f***ing GOOD. Finally a Spider-Man movie. He got beaten down. Again. And again. Things went shit for him. Again. And again. We finally got to see how much of a smart kid he is too. The only thing is Tom Holland's Spidey is still a very "aw shucks" sweetheart and lacks the sharp witty insults I'd expect from a Spider-Man, which I'm okay with because I like him a lot. Great movie and it felt like a Spider-Man movie.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Posted some of this in the "last movie" thread. Another very solid Marvel flick. The strength -- almost across the whole MCU -- remains their casting. They don't miss very often on picking their heroes and villains. Holland is a home run. Gyllenhaal is an amusing and meta counterpart and his story is one of the more clever ideas any of these movies have had.

My biggest complaint, as always, is that the movies are almost always too bloated, too long. It's not quite like it needs to lose scenes exactly, its more that many scenes (a lot of the action TBH) just need to be tightened. Sometimes it just goes on and on and on for no other purpose than continued CGI wanking.

Still, they make me smile more often than not.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad