GDT: Spend Some Time with the Wee Baby Seamus: Your New Jersey Devils (2-0) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (0-1), 7 PM, MSG

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe this was a hangover after the trip.

Maybe this was the boys reading their press clippings after handling Buffalo.

Maybe this was just a struggle against a very good team that defended well.

We should get the answers to that on Saturday. But to me this just felt like a team whose heart wasn’t in it tonight for some odd reason. Effort and execution just wasn’t there.

Some fight would have helped the vibes. It never felt like they had a chance in this one.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Mercer absolutely sucked tonight. If this kid is gonna fail to deliver some secondary scoring AND be junk on defense, well...

It seems like Jack's mojo has been missing ever since that whole penalty box trash talk incident last year. It never looks like he's having fun anymore, the bigger players never miss an opportunity to throw him around/down, and he's constantly trying to force things. And then on top of that you wonder what affect his shoulder history is having on his game both physically and mentally.

Anyway, this game doesn't mean a ton in the grand scheme of things. They played nowhere near a good game (which I'm not surprised about given the circumstances) and somehow it was still somewhat competitive. This team has a ton of potential.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Anyway, this game doesn't mean a ton in the grand scheme of things. They played nowhere near a good game and somehow it was still somewhat competitive. This team has a ton of potential.
Michael Scott Thank You GIFs | Tenor

As for Jack, I think once he pots one, the floodgates will open. He's overthinking right now and it shows.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea Mercer sucks too
That penalty in the 3rd period made me want to kick him in his head, beat him in his balls and jump up on his head.

I'm mostly kidding. I'm not THAT mad at him, it's just a song I was listening to.

But he did piss me off with that.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
We'll get the answer to that in about 1-1.5 months. One game doesn't tell anything at all.

That’s true. It’s a very long season. Just a lot of people are on edge after what was a disastrous 23-24 season and I understand calling out a team that didn’t have their work hats on for a home opener. Losses are fine but the way they lost that one doesn’t sit well

Reactions: Hisch13r

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Michael Scott Thank You GIFs | Tenor

As for Jack, I think once he pots one, the floodgates will open. He's overthinking right now and it shows.
The thing with Jack though is this goes back to last year. Something doesn't look right out there with him and that's been the case for a while now. It's concerning that he's starting a fresh new season and the vibe is still off.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bounce back on Saturday and all is forgiven. Real tough showing in front of an excited crowd

The crowd wasn't that excited. Leafs fans are the most boring opposing fans I've ever encountered :laugh:

But it was kinda dead from the start. Even now sitting in the parking lot there isn't the same crazy vitriol there usually is. The pregame hype video was trash. The fancy led lights they were talking about were just cheap led puck lights zip tied to the rails lol. It was just super dead everywhere around the arena. Probably the most dead game I've ever been to.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don't think the PP looked bad. The last couple were rough but I think that was more the Leafs baring down on the PK. The opportunities before that they were getting looks and they even scored on one. I don't think special teams is gonna be an issue this year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad