Sony PS5 2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I've never played a Spratchet and Clunk game. How excited should I be for this?
I think it looks great and is going to be fun, however, I'm waiting for a sale on this one. I'll just go through my backlog until it hits its first sale.

Don't know if it will be 90 + tax level good.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think it looks great and is going to be fun, however, I'm waiting for a sale on this one. I'll just go through my backlog until it hits its first sale.

Watch the review in the R&C thread. It's the first game that shows off what the PS5 can really do.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Watch the review in the R&C thread. It's the first game that shows off what the PS5 can really do.
Oh, it's going to be a phenomenal game, looks amazing, and I'm excited to play it. I just have a video game rule that I (for the most part) follow; basically, a dollar paid for each hour I'll play... Don't think I'll play this one for 90+ hours if that makes sense.

It will go on sale at some point and I'll grab it then.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For those interested in Elden ring just know the trailer shows off like half the bosses in the game.

Edit: if not quite a bit more than half

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh, it's going to be a phenomenal game, looks amazing, and I'm excited to play it. I just have a video game rule that I (for the most part) follow; basically, a dollar paid for each hour I'll play... Don't think I'll play this one for 90+ hours if that makes sense.

It will go on sale at some point and I'll grab it then.
Wow a dollar an hour?

For me if the game gets me playing for at least 10 hours then that is money well spent.

btw that is extremely rare, maybe 2-3 games a year.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Honestly, if a singleplayer campaign/story mode game is longer than 8 hours, I actually downrate it. I realize I'm in the minority of that but if I like a game, I'll just replay it. I don't need a 40 hour campaign, when it gets to that territory you're so disconnected from the beginning of the game that even the best told story loses its impact, and the most of the time there's just too much filler. Give me a tight short campaign any day.

Now side content is another matter, if that takes it to 30 hours of whatever that's all fine by me and I prefer it that way.

Speaking of games being too long, it is nice to see Death Stranding get a PS5 upgrade. The PS4 version despite the trailers had insanely bad PS3 level draw distances. Like completely flat cardboard textures past a certain distance. I even have screenshots on my PS5 that I meant to get around to posting to illustrate it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, if a singleplayer campaign/story mode game is longer than 8 hours, I actually downrate it. I realize I'm in the minority of that but if I like a game, I'll just replay it. I don't need a 40 hour campaign, when it gets to that territory you're so disconnected from the beginning of the game that even the best told story loses its impact, and the most of the time there's just too much filler. Give me a tight short campaign any day.

Now side content is another matter, if that takes it to 30 hours of whatever that's all fine by me and I prefer it that way.

Speaking of games being too long, it is nice to see Death Stranding get a PS5 upgrade. The PS4 version despite the trailers had insanely bad PS3 level draw distances. Like completely flat cardboard textures past a certain distance. I even have screenshots on my PS5 that I meant to get around to posting to illustrate it.
It all depends on the game. But, I won't downgrade a game if it has awesome gameplay and/or story and it's only 8-12 hours. I'm not big on Online Multiplayer games where people put 100s of hours into it anyway. And, I stopped caring about sports games I used to put a ton of time into since they decided to focus on Ultimate Team/packs over franchise mode. I find most of the SIE AAA solo player games are generally around the right length, a bit longer for open worlds like Horizon, Spider-Man, and Ghost of Tsushima or a bit shorter for more linear games like the Ratchet and Clank reboot, Uncharted's, Last of Us or God of War.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wow a dollar an hour?

For me if the game gets me playing for at least 10 hours then that is money well spent.

btw that is extremely rare, maybe 2-3 games a year.
It's a loose rule, overall just makes me think things over before purchase. I have such a long backlog that I'm essentially a year behind in the games cycle - which plays into my rule nicely.

That being said if it's a Nintendo game I'll just buy it since those are never going on sale enough.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

I agree.

$90 CAD is a LOT for an apparently 15 hour game, even if it is incredible. That's my opinion of course, but I'm a stingy old codger. It's a tough call because if the 15 hours are good enough, it could be worth it but....it's definitely a question.

This is where having the Digital version may come to bite me as I can't share/resell :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
$90 CAD is a LOT for an apparently 15 hour game, even if it is incredible. That's my opinion of course, but I'm a stingy old codger. It's a tough call because if the 15 hours are good enough, it could be worth it but....it's definitely a question.
Oh it looks like an amazing game and I'm sure those 15 hours will be awesome. It's the kind of game that will go on sale at some point sooner than later though. So if you are patient, my guess is there could be a sale as soon as the Fall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh it looks like an amazing game and I'm sure those 15 hours will be awesome. It's the kind of game that will go on sale at some point sooner than later though. So if you are patient, my guess is there could be a sale as soon as the Fall.
Possibly, but there is a pretty limited PS5 Holiday line-up at the moment and it will probably be the go-to child-friendly game (along with Miles Morales) for people who manage to score a console for their kids. Demon Souls is still 89.99 CAD on PSN, and I think the cheapest I saw a non-used Physical copy is 80. Maybe Sony gets Horizon out by Christmas. But coming up I think the big holiday games are the two Bethesda exclusives (Ghostwire:Tokyo and Deathloop).

I bought R&C off PSN today. I wanted to buy it at my local store who usually get games pre-launch but they aren't getting it until Monday at the earliest) and I wasn't going through the hassle of tracking it down in the current environment here (Toronto based) even if I prefer hard copys. I'll admit, it's definitely on the pricy side, but with so few truly next Gen games (basically this, Returnal, Demon Souls-which I'm not buying until I beat Sekiro or Bloodborne, and Miles Morales) it was worth the splurge.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Demon's souls actually has been on sale (it might not be anymore)

Sackboy is also super good and on sale

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Possibly, but there is a pretty limited PS5 Holiday line-up at the moment and it will probably be the go-to child-friendly game (along with Miles Morales) for people who manage to score a console for their kids. Demon Souls is still 89.99 CAD on PSN, and I think the cheapest I saw a non-used Physical copy is 80. Maybe Sony gets Horizon out by Christmas. But coming up I think the big holiday games are the two Bethesda exclusives (Ghostwire:Tokyo and Deathloop).

I bought R&C off PSN today. I wanted to buy it at my local store who usually get games pre-launch but they aren't getting it until Monday at the earliest) and I wasn't going through the hassle of tracking it down in the current environment here (Toronto based) even if I prefer hard copys. I'll admit, it's definitely on the pricy side, but with so few truly next Gen games (basically this, Returnal, Demon Souls-which I'm not buying until I beat Sekiro or Bloodborne, and Miles Morales) it was worth the splurge.
True, the lineup for the holiday season is slimmer than most years. I still think it will go on sale at some point in that timeframe, if not black Friday, maybe boxing day. The way I buy games these days basically has me a year behind the cycle. For instance, I'm playing Odyssey and Far Cry 5 at the moment. Got both complete editions for around 20 dollars each. I'm good at avoiding spoilers and I have become far more patient with new releases, I no longer rush to play the new stuff.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
True, the lineup for the holiday season is slimmer than most years. I still think it will go on sale at some point in that timeframe, if not black Friday, maybe boxing day. The way I buy games these days basically has me a year behind the cycle. For instance, I'm playing Odyssey and Far Cry 5 at the moment. Got both complete editions for around 20 dollars each. I'm good at avoiding spoilers and I have become far more patient with new releases, I no longer rush to play the new stuff.
I hadn't gamed hard in years until the pandemic killed my social life for a while. So, I went through a ton of the AAA sony games I hadn't touched. Convinced me to buy a PS5 sooner than I usually would (got ps2 and PS3 at launch/launch window, but held off for a year or so for PS4).

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I hadn't gamed hard in years until the pandemic killed my social life for a while. So, I went through a ton of the AAA sony games I hadn't touched. Convinced me to buy a PS5 sooner than I usually would (got ps2 and PS3 at launch/launch window, but held off for a year or so for PS4).
Same but my PS4 was on it's last legs too. The only thing I don't like about the PS5 is the lack of internal drive space.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Same but my PS4 was on it's last legs too. The only thing I don't like about the PS5 is the lack of internal drive space.
I thought that would be an issue, but outside of COD (which I don't play), it seems the Kraken compression has kept games relatively small for the PS5 games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I was wondering as soon as I started up Final Fantasy Origin "Why does this game look and feel exactly like Nioh", completely forgetting team Ninja made Nioh, lol. There's no way this isn't just the Nioh engine, and probably the same team as Nioh. I absolutely hate Nioh.

Edit: my goodness this game is literally just Nioh 3.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Are the 3D Pulse headphones worth it? Thinking about picking up a pair.

I guess it depends what you have now. What I can tell you is two of my friends have them and they say the sound good, but their mics sound noticeably worse than the cheap TB headset one had and the old Sony Golds the other one had. The mic volume is fine but it's muffled and scratchy.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I guess it depends what you have now. What I can tell you is two of my friends have them and they say the sound good, but their mics sound noticeably worse than the cheap TB headset one had and the old Sony Golds the other one had. The mic volume is fine but it's muffled and scratchy.
This right here. I have a decent pair of Audiotechnica's and just use the built in mic on the controller and it works great. havent had complaints and the sound quality is excellent.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm actually using no headset at the moment. The main reason for purchase would be the 3D sound on the new games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm actually using no headset at the moment. The main reason for purchase would be the 3D sound on the new games.
It's pretty good for that. I hardly play online, so I mostly use it for 3d sound, although, I believe a few other headphones are capable of it, and I wouldn't exactly call it revolutionary. I still rotate between TV and the headphones quite often. I don't feel the need to use it even if I have a game with 3D audio.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

It's pretty good for that. I hardly play online, so I mostly use it for 3d sound, although, I believe a few other headphones are capable of it, and I wouldn't exactly call it revolutionary. I still rotate between TV and the headphones quite often. I don't feel the need to use it even if I have a game with 3D audio.
You don't need special headphones in order to get 3d sound. Any headphones will suffice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad