Weekes: Something happening with Markstrom?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Cup winning teams tend to have great goaltenders. Very few winning teams have mediocre ones. It has always been that way. I don't see how on ice performance doesn't translate into trade value.
one could argue in the modern NHL this is more accurate to say 50% of cup winning teams have a good goaltender who maybe played above his norm in the playoffs. I don't think Hill, Kuemper, Binnington, Holtby or even [arguably] Crawford will go down as great goaltenders.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If I had to guess the Canes and the Devils are in a bidding war for Markstrom, the consolation prize will be Elvis. That’s why the double eyes.

I love Meier as a Devils fan and think he'll bounce back for us but it reminds me a bit where the Devils/Vegas where the last bidders for him and Vegas went with Barbashev and the Devils got Meier and the former got the Cup that year + an incredible run from Barbashev in the playoffs. Could see something similar where the lower end guy makes a bigger difference plus goalies are voodoo so even more reason why

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Cup winning teams tend to have great goaltenders. Very few winning teams have mediocre ones. It has always been that way. I don't see how on ice performance doesn't translate into trade value.

Recently, save for Vasilevskiy, that’s not true. Cup winning teams have decent to mediocre goalies who are playing great at the right time.

I’d have a hard time calling Binnington, Hill, Kuemper, Murray, Holtby…actively “great” goalies for longer than a calendar year or two.

So yes, voodoo.

Reactions: Oilers88

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Markstrom is playing well and Calgary is just 2 points outside the playoffs spot. Would they really trade him now, even if the return was very good, while they are so close to playoff position.
The Flames seem to be facing a serious choice: Trade players for picks and prospects now or make a run for maybe 2-4 playoff dates later this year. Are these playoff dates worth turning their backs on the futures and losing at least 7 players for nothing this offseason? And if the Flames do choose to rebuild they have at least two players (Kadri has previously said this while a link earlier in this thread hints that the second player is Markstrom) who have hinted that they don't be around for that process - even thought their contracts help ensure that the Flames remain at or near the cap floor while this rebuild happens.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Kind of a tired cliche, don't you think? All players have a certain amount of voodoo to them. HFB members tend to overvalue forwards, and points, because they are easy to look at . Defensive play, and goaltending looks like "voodoo", yet, it's not, though i'll grant that those two attributes shine best in a situation where overall team defense is valued.

Look at bad teams, and you'll almost always see a question mark in net, defensively - usually both.
it is a tired cliche but the tiredness of the cliche doesnt negate that truth in it.

Yes all players have some unknowns when acquired. If a forward or defender struggles to adjust to your system you have 5-11 others to help cover up the issue and allow that player to do the thing that made you interested in them. Goalies are a singular spot. You go and blow your draft capital on a goalie that doesnt fit with your team or is having a bad spell, you are limited on who else can play. You blow your draft capital on a winger who is having a dry spell, you have 11 others who can get hot and wait for that player to do the same. So the voo doo-ness is amplified with goalies.

Its not just a HFB thing though. Articles, podcasts from reputable sources, etc all talk about the same thing.

Of course on ice performance translates, its the risk that teams dont want to pay for. The goalie position is highly variable position with a lot of pressure on it. We all would have said Saros and Oettinger were top 5 goalies that would have cost both arms and both legs to acquire during last off-season. They remained with the same team and still have a .899 and .901 save percentages, respectively. A lot of risk inside of the same system of predictable performance then add in how the goalie will perform in your system; larger risk. Increase the risk with Markstrom's age, contract impact on future cap, and his performance from last year. Markstrom has a good track record of performance but there are things working against him too.

Goalies have a lot of risk associated with them, coupled with unknown of their performance in your system.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How do you define a great goaltender? We've seen average goalies over the long-term can get hot in the short-term and that's been good enough for a number of cup winners in this post-lockout era. Ward, Osgood, Niemi, Murray (x2), Binnington, Kuemper and Hill are part of that grouping. That represents half of the winners in the sample.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Why would they trade him now though? I know they have the kid in the AHL... but they're still close to a playoff spot
Look at the state of our organization going forward. We aren’t contenders and we might not even be a playoff team. We need to sell current assets for future assets so that we can be actually good in a few years instead of mediocre right now. Plus we have an elite goalie prospect in the A who deserves an NHL spot. If we can sell high on Marky right now, we need to do it.

Only if we can sell high though, because his value is definitely the highest it’s been in the past 18ish months. If we aren’t getting a 1st+ or equivalent pieces it’s not worth it.

Not advocating for a scorched earth rebuild, just good asset management.

Reactions: Mr Bojanglez

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Why would they trade him now though? I know they have the kid in the AHL... but they're still close to a playoff spot
We’re always close to a playoff spot around deadline. For the last 30 years we’ve been the same team. An average bubble team. I’ve been a fan since 1998 and its so frustrating. That’s the problem every year. We need hope for the future and we need a top 3 pick for the first time ever in franchise history. We need to be a legitimate cup contender with star players. You know how many Calgary kids are Oiler fans walking around in McDavid and Draisatl jerseys. Too many. The younger generation is not interested in being Flames fans because they are nothing to be excited about. The year we drafted Bennett we won a meaningless game against Nashville that put us 4th OV instead of 3rd OV. That was Bennett instead of Draisatl

Reactions: Mr Bojanglez

Ledge And Dairy

No, let Vladar start most of the games so that Wolf doesn't lose his confidence playing for a soon-to-be lottery team. Give Wolf some easy games, and let Vladar be the tank commander, especially if Tanev and Hanifin are traded.
That won't work. Management chooses the direction a team goes each deadline and offseason. Coaches and players go out to win every single game. If Wolf starts outperforming Vladar in his occasional starts he will get more and more starts until we end up in a situation like Buffalo where we are making our rookie goalie play too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad