Weekes: Something happening with Markstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think a 1st at least for Markstrom alone isn't crazy, the idea that a first for a goalie is outrageous doesn't reflect current supply/demand reality. Especially if you are a contender and that first is going to be after pick 16. If Markstrom were a FA you couldn't get him to sign a 2 year deal after this season either so his contract actually has value in a vacuum. The term matters more so than the AAV.

If Tanev is added it would have to be more than what's being proposed imo.

Edit: I missed that he has a NMC, that depresses the return though.
Absolutely. A goalie like Markstrom could be the difference between a team like LAK/TOR being knocked out early of going on a Cup run(I don't trust Talbot as a #1), or a team like NJ making the playoffs/some noise in the playoffs.

Playoff teams spend a late 1st on a middle of the lineup depth player all the time. Don't see how getting a legit #1G is somehow a stretch.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
:(No it doesn't. Would be nice if we could get Markström with just a pick, but considering we have to move Vanecek who has negative value of a 1st/2nd, it's just not gonna cut it. Let alone if we also trade for Tanev.

Yeah, I mean I’m not opposed to taking a shot at Markstrom, and at this point, with how many teams need goalies and how thin the market is, they probably need to give up something more valuable than they would have needed to in like October, but adding Tanev as well would be an “all in” move. We both know they’re not there yet unfortunately

Reactions: ninetyeight

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Absolutely. A goalie like Markstrom could be the difference between a team like LAK/TOR being knocked out early of going on a Cup run(I don't trust Talbot as a #1), or a team like NJ making the playoffs/some noise in the playoffs.

Playoff teams spend a late 1st on a middle of the lineup depth player all the time. Don't see how getting a legit #1G is somehow a stretch.
1. goalies are voo doo and hold less value on the market.
2. markstrom's cap hit, contract length, his age, and his performance last year will hold teams back
3. markstrom has a NMC and that will limit teams that can participate which lowers cost.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
1. goalies are voo doo and hold less value on the market.
2. markstrom's cap hit, contract length, his age, and his performance last year will hold teams back
3. markstrom has a NMC and that will limit teams that can participate which lowers cost.
How long is Carolina going to keep wasting a cup contending roster by believing the 1st point you make. Goalies are LESS of a sure thing, but there's a big difference between betting on something that's a 75% chance and something that's a 25% chance. You'll by a billionaire doing the former and bankrupt doing the latter.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
How long is Carolina going to keep wasting a cup contending roster by believing the 1st point you make. Goalies are LESS of a sure thing, but there's a big difference between betting on something that's a 75% chance and something that's a 25% chance. You'll by a billionaire doing the former and bankrupt doing the latter.
We havent had a year where a goalie has kept us from advancing

Even 2 years ago when Raanta lost game 6 & 7 we couldnt score to save our lives. It wasnt Raanta's fault we lost that series.

So a whole bunch of years I guess because we havent faced that issue.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Right how is the Dads trip for the Flames. If Weekes is suggesting a trade is happening during this trip he’s out of his mind. After the Vegas game sure I’ll buy it. But nothing is happening until they get back to Calgary. Also I don’t know what about the post suggests he’s getting traded. Marky had a very great game last nigot so maybe he’s saying watch how great Marky is playing. Idk. Just seems like a troll post.

Stop making proposals dude. Lindholm and Tanev are not throw ins. They will get high prices without Marky.
Obviously Lindy and Tanev aren't throw ins ... that's why these proposals include at least a 1st and a top-2/3 prospect or young player from each team.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wonder which playoff team will be saddled with this playoff sieve come playoff time.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We havent had a year where a goalie has kept us from advancing

Even 2 years ago when Raanta lost game 6 & 7 we couldnt score to save our lives. It wasnt Raanta's fault we lost that series.

So a whole bunch of years I guess because we havent faced that issue.
So they .869 goaltending you got in the playoffs in 2022 was good enough?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Don't think anyone who watched Carolina in the playoffs said goal tending is what their issue was.
I think an upgrade is needed, but not sure it is a sell the farm need.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wonder which playoff team will be saddled with this playoff sieve come playoff time.
A .911 is a playoff sieve? Interesting. I get it, you're an Oilers fan and nervous about what happens in your crease come playoff time if you get there. It's a psychological term called projecting.

Don't think anyone who watched Carolina in the playoffs said goal tending is what their issue was.
I think an upgrade is needed, but not sure it is a sell the farm need.
I very much disagree. I think it's a massive hole for them. Particularly this year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A .911 is a playoff sieve? Interesting. I get it, you're an Oilers fan and nervous about what happens in your crease come playoff time if you get there. It's a psychological term called projecting.
It ain’t projecting. It’s watching him fall apart in the BoA playoff series.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It ain’t projecting. It’s watching him fall apart in the BoA playoff series.
He had a bad series. It's why he's only a .911 and not a .925. I watched McDavid fall apart against Chicago a few years back in a series where old, broken Toews slapped him around. Is he a playoff dud?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Obviously Lindy and Tanev aren't throw ins ... that's why these proposals include at least a 1st and a top-2/3 prospect or young player from each team.
Your values don’t reflect that. Plus you’re adding retention and taking back cap dumps. Lindy will get 3 pieces on his own and then retain and get another. Tanev should get a first on his on and then up it with retention. Also the Carolina proposal with just Marky was about the same value of the other trades with you adding Tanev.

Reactions: DaveG

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Let's not forget that in the Dallas series a couple years he had set a save percentage record in a single series for the Flames that same year at .943. People blame Marky for the Edmonton Series and he was not the issue.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So they .869 goaltending you got in the playoffs in 2022 was good enough?
you saying that a .910 goalie would have changed it? we would lost 4 away games by a score of 2-1 instead of 4 to 1 or 5 to 2. yeepee, I feel better now.

the lack of scoring on the road in those playoffs was by far the biggest issue for the Canes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
lol pretty funny considering you were the guy that was saying Markstrom was good last year despite his stats. Cherry picking a 5 game sample when the Flames were playing like complete ass. Neglecting the fact that in the past 3 AHL seasons it looks like Dustin Wolf will have the top 3 save percentages league wide in that time period… do you ever get tired of being wrong?
He honestly didn’t play that bad, our team was atrocious defensively. But his first year pre and post concussion he gave us .924 goaltending and his second he was a Vezina finalist. Big difference last year between just being fine and the other levels, and this year I think once again our teams play defensively is hiding just how amazing he is.

You have also went on record saying Wolf CURRENTLY is a better goaltender than Markstrom and amongst the elite in the NHL, but sure I’m the one who’s wrong saying “trading Markstrom would make our team much worse”.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Let's not forget that in the Dallas series a couple years he had set a save percentage record in a single series for the Flames that same year at .943. People blame Marky for the Edmonton Series and he was not the issue.

He was an issue, here’s a small taste of his performance in that series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yes is a 5 games series once he was bad. McDavid has been bad in 2 playoff series. Is he a playoff dud?

Now that’s just a silly comparison. With Markstrom he’s going to be targeted by a playoff team, they should have an idea of how he handles playoff series mentally. I wouldn’t touch Markstrom for a serious run.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He's playing really well this year. Not only well enough to be moveable, but enough to get value back.

And Markstrom sucked against the Oilers, so easy enough solution; just trade him East. That way he'll never face them again since it's not like the Oilers are ever going to make the cup finals again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad