Rumor: Something brewing between CAR and CBJ?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I know 3-way trades are pie-in-the sky, but I wonder if McGroarty might add to the mix for a Car-CBJ trade scenario. Also, it's a Sunday afternoon in the NHL dead zone.... 🙂

McGroarty likely has appeal for the Blue Jackets as a big LW prospect who played at Michigan with two top CBJ prospects (Fantilli and Brindley).

Cap space is a big consideration if Laine is involved.

To CAR: Laine at 5M
To CBJ: McGroarty, Kotkaniemi, Iafallo at 2M
To WPG: Nadeau (or Blake) + 2025 1st (CAR) + 3rd (CAR)

Salary retention:
CBJ 2 x 2M (Laine),
WPG 2 x 1.7M (Laine) and 1 x 2M (Iafallo)

Cap changes (2024-25):
CBJ +120K
CAR +180K
WPG +3.7M
Quite an over inflated value for laine.

If the Canes were willing to move a 1st and good offensive prospect, we would just go get Mcgroarty.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know 3-way trades are pie-in-the sky, but I wonder if McGroarty might add to the mix for a Car-CBJ trade scenario. Also, it's a Sunday afternoon in the NHL dead zone.... 🙂

McGroarty likely has appeal for the Blue Jackets as a big LW prospect who played at Michigan with two top CBJ prospects (Fantilli and Brindley).

Salary retention:
CBJ 2 x 2M (Laine),

Cap changes (2024-25):
CBJ +120K
CAR +180K
WPG +3.7M
That's a crazy package from Carolina

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quite an over inflated value for laine.

If the Canes were willing to move a 1st and good offensive prospect, we would just go get Mcgroarty.
It's one prospect (Nadeau or Blake) and a late 1st and 3rd from Carolina. It really depends on how much the Canes would value Laine at 5M and dumping all of Kotkaniemi's contract. Of course, if the Canes don't think Laine is of much value, no deal would be workable.

I think the Jets would be fine with a good prospect and a pick for McGroarty, but this thread is about the Canes and CBJ rumour.

Hit that crack pipe again dude. Carolina won't give up 2 top prospects, a 1st, and a 3rd for what is really a lottery ticket in Laine. Injury, mental health issues, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not even sure that Laine can function in Rod's system; he certainly hasn't proven the defensive chops required to play "the right way" (according to Rod Brind'Amour).
It's one prospect, a late 1st and a 3rd for Laine at 5M and dumping all of Kotkaniemi's contract.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think the Jets would be fine with a good prospect and a pick for McGroarty, but this thread is about the Canes and CBJ rumour.

It's one prospect, a late 1st and a 3rd for Laine at 5M and dumping all of Kotkaniemi's contract.
Which is way too much for Laine. Carolina can "dump" Kotkaniemi's contract for $800K a year. Less than 1% of the cap, or roughly equivalent to Tyson Jost or Brandon Lemieux.

It makes much more sense to buy out Kotkaniemi if they want to dump the contract than pay additional assets to get rid of him.

And this thread may not be about McGroarty, but you can't include that part of the deal without considering that Carolina may prefer to pay less for a piece of the deal included.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Hit that crack pipe again dude. Carolina won't give up 2 top prospects, a 1st, and a 3rd for what is really a lottery ticket in Laine. Injury, mental health issues, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not even sure that Laine can function in Rod's system; he certainly hasn't proven the defensive chops required to play "the right way" (according to Rod Brind'Amour).
Laine has been far from a problem defensively since joining CBJ. His problem was trying to do too much and was pretty consistently turning the puck over.

But hopefully with 9-10 months of rehab both physically and mentally allow him to reset and turn back into the deadly shooter we all know he is.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
McGroarty for Laine makes a ton of sense to me. I guess a 3rd team would need to be involved if Laine doesn't want to go back to the Peg. If that's the case that type of trade makes sense but I think Carolina is giving up too much.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
CBJ fans - is there any incentive whatsoever for you guys to add KK under ANY circumstance? I’m struggling to find reason in this. I can’t find any. I guess if they did add a Necas, which I also don’t see happening.
I don't see any way CBJ takes on a 4 year deal like KK. Given the young roster and the plan to develop the core, I think that gets in the path of trying to support that. It is widely believed that any move of Laine would involve a player back with either A) similar term, B) shorter term, or C) longer term but considered part of a future core (that's not a deal just for Laine, just a scenario if Laine is part of a deal - and this would be the least likely).

As it stands, I see no earthly way a contract like KKs, for a player currently really underperforming (KK) would be traded for by GMDW. They aren't looking to add those types of contracts...at all. I don't think even adding a 1st or multiple picks or prospects becomes enticing for CBJ. They do feel very strongly about their prospect pool and while adding high end talent is always a plus, unless there was a realistic way to even flip KK, I just can't see this being done in any manner from a CBJ perspective.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I would ask Laine to start the season with CBJ (New GM, New Coach) until they get a better offer. If he refuses, I would LOAN him to any European team and leave him there, before trading him for any package that includes KK.

The Canes cap space ain't CBJ's problem, so easy pass on anything the Canes could offer that has to include KK. We got a couple players we could offer up, do the Canes need a goalie? =) hey at least I'm not being disrespectful by offering Elvis for one of your top 6 players.... =D
Uhhh, you can't just magically loan a player to a Euro team...

Salary retention:
CBJ 2 x 2M (Laine),

Cap changes (2024-25):
CBJ +120K
CAR +180K
WPG +3.7M
For both of you

1722882786434.png

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
KK for Laine ?
2 yrs for 4 yrs
Not sure if the math works
I have seen Laine for Kotkaniemi suggested time and again, exclusively by non-Columbus fans. Let's make an overly simplistic comparison between the two players since the season of Laine's arrival in Columbus:

2020-21: 46 GP 24 P vs 56 GP 20 P
2021-22: 56 GP 56 P vs 66 GP 29 P
2022-23: 55 GP 52 P vs 82 GP 43 P
2023-24: 18 GP 9P vs 79 GP 27 P

Even on a purely stat-watching level, I don't see how those two players are similar in value.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I have seen Laine for Kotkaniemi suggested time and again, exclusively by non-Columbus fans. Let's make an overly simplistic comparison between the two players since the season of Laine's arrival in Columbus:

Even on a purely stat-watching level, I don't see how those two players are similar in value.
I'm not sure they are being compared in that type of value, but rather that both are being suggested as a waste of cap space and thus equivalent return. No way CBJ touches the KK contract for Laine. They aren't equivalent value, but I understand why the Carolina fans would be suggesting that's part of the deal. Strictly money and a longer term contract. The term is the issue and it isn't even close even with Laine's current questions around his value. Laine is being viewed as a Cap dump status type player, as you know, hence the offers being presented. Just have to grin and bear it for a while...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not sure they are being compared in that type of value, but rather that both are being suggested as a waste of cap space and thus equivalent return. No way CBJ touches the KK contract for Laine. They aren't equivalent value, but I understand why the Carolina fans would be suggesting that's part of the deal. Strictly money and a longer term contract. The term is the issue and it isn't even close even with Laine's current questions around his value. Laine is being viewed as a Cap dump status type player, as you know, hence the offers being presented. Just have to grin and bear it for a while...
KK could be bought out for only 800k per year, it's not really that scary. But I wouldn't do it, he's a much better player than people have suggested. He's still a fairly young 3C who has shown he can fill in as a 2C when playing well. He's lacked offensive consistency year to year but still has time to improve there. But even without piling up numbers, he's a physical, defensively responsible center, there's value there.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
So nothing is brewing?

KK could be bought out for only 800k per year, it's not really that scary. But I wouldn't do it, he's a much better player than people have suggested. He's still a fairly young 3C who has shown he can fill in as a 2C when playing well. He's lacked offensive consistency year to year but still has time to improve there. But even without piling up numbers, he's a physical, defensively responsible center, there's value there.
KK could become Lars Eller'esque , not good for 3rd overall but a decent player on a good squad

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

2020-21: 46 GP 24 P $147K per point vs 56 GP 20 P $46K per point
2021-22: 56 GP 56 P $134K per point vs 66 GP 29 P $210K per point
2022-23: 55 GP 52 P $167K per point vs 82 GP 43 P $112K per point
2023-24: 18 GP 9P $967K per point vs 79 GP 27 P $179K per point

I am going to have to agree with you, they don't seem similar in value at all to me either.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Understood. And to be fair, I think I noted that the term was the biggest issue. I don't think CBJ would be thinking to acquire a player with a long term deal only to buy him out. I also don't think with that contract length that CBJ would want to insert him in the lineup over Voronkov or Sillinger (at a minimum). I just don't see the fit as he, in my opinion, wouldn't be enough of an upgrade over those two to make it worthwhile. Again, just my opinion. I still stand by any Laine deal will not be for a player with more than 2 year term unless they are somehow brought in with a bigger deal that woudl be considered part of the future core. I don't think that's KK. I certainly could be wrong. Was also interjecting what I though tthe other poster might be trying to insinuate.

Reactions: Jimmybarndoor2

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Sounds like the last player the Jackets would want, then.

They have Fantilli, Jenner, Monahan, Voronkov, Sillinger, Kuraly

It’s not that he’s lacked offensive consistency, he’s lacked offense. Cracked 40 points once in his career and is a tweener at best. I don’t know why he’s still being discussed in this topic. It’s not even that his term sucks. Your description of KK also describes half the centers on the CBJ roster, and they aren’t on shitty contracts.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I’m sure you are right but CLB likely will take a younger player to move Laine ?

Or not lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7