Some players do care about trying to win Cups more than money. Stutzle says he took a discount

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I’ve never really understood the mentality of needing to get every dollar for super star players. I get it for the low to mid tier guys, but does making 10 mill over 8 mill a year really create a lifestyle change? The 2 mill cap space can certainly impact the roster around you.

I guess maybe the ego aspect of being highest paid or whatever.
10 mill over 8 mill create +16 mill as a result of 8 years deal. It’s hard to imagine player who decline 16 mill just because of hypothetical chances to win a cup

Reactions: Voight

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I don’t know how I would afford to live on only $8 million per year.

That’s because you’re looking at it from whatever your current situation is. If you taste anything resembling the “good life” and can have that every day for the rest of your life, your lifestyle needs can change and will change more dramatically than you think and frankly there’s no going back once that happens.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
No way he was gonna make10+, and a discount to win in Ottawa? Yikes he has no clue Ottawa isn't winning anything.

Reactions: Lilou

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is he saying he's more interested in winning the Cup than the money?

If so, why is he playing in Ottawa? Seems counterproductive.

What's next - Chychrun going to say he took a discount in Arizona because he wanted to win the Cup? Even that's more believeable - as Arizona made the playoffs more recently than Ottawa.

I understand saying this on a contender, because it's believeable - but how do you say this on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since you were in the NHL and your current captain was still playing in junior and not even in his draft-eligible year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I’ve never really understood the mentality of needing to get every dollar for super star players. I get it for the low to mid tier guys, but does making 10 mill over 8 mill a year really create a lifestyle change? The 2 mill cap space can certainly impact the roster around you.

I guess maybe the ego aspect of being highest paid or whatever.

I think an important thing to remember with top top players like Matthews is that their contracts are kind of trend-setters so the PA probably has an opinion (though obvs no legal power) on how much they should make.

Good for Stutzle though. He's a freaking awesome player but he doesn't have the eyes on him that Matthews does.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Is he saying he's more interested in winning the Cup than the money?

If so, why is he playing in Ottawa? Seems counterproductive.

What's next - Chychrun going to say he took a discount in Arizona because he wanted to win the Cup? Even that's more believeable - as Arizona made the playoffs more recently than Ottawa.
Which team do you think is in better shape right now, Ottawa or Arizona?

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Players on my team should consider taking less for the sake of the rest of the roster. Players on other teams should get paid every penny they can get through hard negotiation. The owners don't leave money on the table, why should players? Players already play for free in the playoffs so there's absolutely no reason to take less than whatever you can get.

Again, the situation requires much more nuance when my team is involved.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

In what regard? Closer to the playoffs?

Ottawa - but that's a low bar.

Is there a single player on the current Ottawa roster that has had a playoff game as an Ottawa Senator?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A 90 point 22 year old center waiting a year and signing after the cap thaws out?

Yes, he easily could get $10M lol.
Yes, now this summer. But not when he signed it, thus it was not a discount. Can't take a discount from something you are not offered lol.

Stuezle and J. Hughes contracts are going to be bargains for years to come. They already are, unless for some reason they fall from the face off the Earth which is highly unlikely. But they didn't take any discounts. Their teams made a bet that their future level will be great, and put these big, 8 year contract offers on the table. For the player, it's a no-brainer to sign it (unless you are Matthews :sarcasm:), those contracts were way above their current value when they were signed.

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Remember that time that Arizona passed on a guy heralded as the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin out of fear he may not come over?

... Only to draft a Russian at #6 and a Russian at #12? :laugh:

• Haha

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
In what regard? Closer to the playoffs?

Ottawa - but that's a low bar.

Is there a single player on the current Ottawa roster that has had a playoff game as an Ottawa Senator?
You know which team is better right now and has a brighter future.

As for the last part, probably not, but acting like they're a shit team with a shit future is remarkably hilarious. Are they the strongest team? Absolutely not, but I think they can be a really good team sooner rather than later.

Reactions: swiftwin

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I read this as I wanted 10 million but they only gave me 8.35M and my agent is telling me the correct things to say.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You know which team is better right now and has a brighter future.

As for the last part, probably not, but acting like they're a shit team with a shit future is remarkably hilarious.

Ottawa is better right now, I'm not sure if they have a better future. The core is the exact same as it's been for years, and has never been able to make the playoffs.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The players get 50% revenue no matter what. If some owners go cheap and only pay to the minimum, then the extra money will be taken out of the owners' side of escrow. Its completely different from real life scenarios where the workers are trying to get their share of the companies' revenues.

A player fighting to maximize profits for themselves is only taking money from another player. They are not getting anything over the owners. If they truly wanted to squeeze extra money out of the system, then they'll need to eliminate middlemen like agents.

Reactions: Ciao

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They should probably follow the Leafs model considering how remarkably successful they've been.

Probably should, maybe then they could make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh has been hiring every guy to leave the Leafs organization - so they wouldn't be the first to do it either.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: